By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGS4 to have 90 minute long cutscenes?

i dont have a ps3 yet but i am working on my wife, and i like teh series but this is just to long to sit and do nothing, i play games to game and interact, i hate watching anything on tv longer then a half hour b/c after that i feel like i am not doing anything but being a veg

Around the Network

Its not like the whole game is a cutscene, this maybe happens two times, three times the most. And then it is probably in the end and in the beginning. And who want's an endig movie of 5 minutes????

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
bbsin said:
Well, being that codecs are out of the picture in MGS4..... they probably changed the conversing between characters from codecs to cutscenes. Either way, If anyone expects Kojima to tie up all the loose ends in the MGS series, then it shouldn't be hard to expect that it'll take alot of cutscenes and time.

Wait, wait, wait, what? Codecs are out in MGS4? You're kidding, right?

Codecs may still be there, but the player will not be able to use it to call out (Snake will automatically listen if it rings) and the codec screens are pretty much gone in favor to cutscenes.

On Topic: I believe the 90 minute cutscene is the ending (the longest cutscene). If you guys don't want to see the ending, then skip it. If you want to know the ending and don't want to watch the 90 minute cutscene then go to VGchartz.com where i will spoil it for you

i was going to buy this game when i get my ps3...now hell no this is just ridiculous

Words Of Wisdom said:

Saying this is like saying books are "behind" compared to movies. One is not strictly better than the other as you can do things in each medium you can't in the other. It just comes down to personal preference which you prefer.

What a lot of people are talking about is how story integrates in one medium as opposed to another.  A weak way to run a movie story is to paste pages of text on the screen to tell you what they are incapable of showing you.  With games, "showing you" can be done in different games, since you can actually participate in the story rather than merely watching it.

I think his point is that simply pasting some rendered movie into a game is an obsolete method.  It's a lazy method, and it's a sloppy method.  It's old timey and qaint.  Rather than showing us clips of the story, let us play the story. 

Around the Network
TheBigFatJ said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

Saying this is like saying books are "behind" compared to movies. One is not strictly better than the other as you can do things in each medium you can't in the other. It just comes down to personal preference which you prefer.

What a lot of people are talking about is how story integrates in one medium as opposed to another. A weak way to run a movie story is to paste pages of text on the screen to tell you what they are incapable of showing you. With games, "showing you" can be done in different games, since you can actually participate in the story rather than merely watching it.

I think his point is that simply pasting some rendered movie into a game is an obsolete method. It's a lazy method, and it's a sloppy method. It's old timey and qaint. Rather than showing us clips of the story, let us play the story.

My interpretation of the point was different.

Essentially consider this: You're plaing a standard turn-based RPG game and the developers want to enact an airship battle. Now unless you want to take this to new levels of awesome like Skies of Arcadia did and have an entire 2nd battle system dedicate to airship/monster battles, you make a cutscene. You could also make a minigame just for this instance but many people hate stupid minigames in RPGs so that's probably a bad idea unless you plan to do this a LOT and can put a lot of effort into the minigame.

The point I am making with the example is that there are times when in order to tell the story, the best tool is a cutscene. This is particularly true where the system would not give the player involvement anyway and rewriting it to do so would not be worth the time/effort. I much prefer to play the game rather than watch cutscenes (heck I'd rather read text than listen to voice acting because it's faster and I get can get back to playing quicker), but I understand that there are times when they are very useful.

Oyvoyvoyv said:
Awesome! That sounds epic, but of course, for some people it won't be, if they have little time, or just prefer the simple shoot'em up. Cutscenes rule, it's sad that many people haven't understood that. Of course, it is the world there is something wrong with, because I couldn't possibly be wrong.
Cutscenes are great, but 90 minute cutscenes are ridiculous.  Especially when considering that the voice actors, direction, and expression of the characters will be no where near film quality.  Why not tell the story through gameplay (like Half Life?)?  I'll pass on this game, if true.

DMeisterJ said:
Okay people.

Before we hang Kojima out to dry, let's have a play of the game first, before the whole ninety minute cutscene thng is true.

First, we've heard that the game has nine hours of cutscenes. So that means that it will be only six ninety minute cutscenes...

And CVG made certain of saying Scenes so is there only six cutscenes in the game? I think not...

I'm entirely certain this was taken out of context, and it probably does have a cutscene more than an hour, maybe the last one when the game ends, and snake kills himself? (purely speculation, not a spoiler).

I agree skip the scenes other then that this is Kojima doing what he loves best making movies around his game!

Hopefully this game gets an Oscar!!!!!!! and Snake finally gets best actor! Kojima best director.

Question: So Mr. Kojima what was it like working with all those Snakes?????

fill in the blank.

Just kidding cant wait for this game if its tidius I'll be the first to turn into a 3 yr old and cry.

Words Of Wisdom said:

My interpretation of the point was different.

Essentially consider this: You're plaing a standard turn-based RPG game and the developers want to enact an airship battle. Now unless you want to take this to new levels of awesome like Skies of Arcadia did and have an entire 2nd battle system dedicate to airship/monster battles, you make a cutscene. You could also make a minigame just for this instance but many people hate stupid minigames in RPGs so that's probably a bad idea unless you plan to do this a LOT and can put a lot of effort into the minigame.

The point I am making with the example is that there are times when in order to tell the story, the best tool is a cutscene. This is particularly true where the system would not given the player involvement anyway and rewriting it to do so would not be worth the time/effort. I much prefer to play the game rather than watch cutscenes (heck I'd rather read text than listen to voice acting because it's faster and I get can get back to playing quicker), but I understand that there are times when they are very useful.

I'd concede that there are times when cutscenes are useful, but you can usually do things in a better way with games. Look at the example with Half Life: you worked through the entire story, setting, etc. This is a very simple example of a back story, but it made the game all that much more interesting.

At any rate, 90 minute cutscenes will just end up getting skipped by most gamers, I'd think. And I'd never consider watching them.

Before we hang Kojima out to dry, let's have a play of the game first, before the whole ninety minute cutscene thng is true.

First, we've heard that the game has nine hours of cutscenes. So that means that it will be only six ninety minute cutscenes...

And CVG made certain of saying Scenes so is there only six cutscenes in the game? I think not...

No one said all of the cutscenes were 90 minutes, just that some approached 90 minutes.  I know you're hoping to God that this isn't true, but your logic doesn't prove it since your assumption that all cut scenes are 90 minutes hasn't been asserted anywhere. 

90 Minute Cut-scenes? Uh...
Ability to Pause Cut-scenes? WOOT!!!!!!!!!