By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGS4 to have 90 minute long cutscenes?

htats two long to just sit while playing a game....regardless of the quality,, couldn't you have us doing something in teh sequence

Around the Network

Well, these really aren't 'cutscenes' as they are 'cutmovies'

I think this is horrible and kind of lazy. In my opinion, games, which by their very nature are interactive, should have their stories presented through the gameplay. The whole purpose of story driven games are to forget that they are games, so you can feel like you are part of the story. This is completely broken when you have to sit for any length of time to watch a cutscene.

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X

Sounds like some of you people need to get a Sega CD and go play some interactive movies...

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Come to think of it, people were annoyed by a 17 minute long intro to Okami, so I can understand that this upset you.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

TBh, 90 minutes is too long, but then again. Other games also had a lot of movieminutes, so I don't really care, since it's probably gonna give me more intel about the whole game with a great story in it.

Around the Network

Okay people.

Before we hang Kojima out to dry, let's have a play of the game first, before the whole ninety minute cutscene thng is true.

First, we've heard that the game has nine hours of cutscenes. So that means that it will be only six ninety minute cutscenes...

And CVG made certain of saying Scenes so is there only six cutscenes in the game? I think not...

I'm entirely certain this was taken out of context, and it probably does have a cutscene more than an hour, maybe the last one when the game ends, and snake kills himself? (purely speculation, not a spoiler).

DTG said:
Darc Requiem said:
Okay, that settles it. Kojima just needs to go off and make movies and or TV programs. Games are to be played not watched. Can this really be true? I mean one 90 minute cutscene is inexcusable. More than one is criminal. I really hope this is some sort of exaggeration.

Stop trying to enforce your opinion on what a game should be. IMO this is the best news to come out of MGS4 reviews so far, and IMO we need more games like this that are full out interactive movies.

And where, out of the 90 minutes cutscenes, is the interactive part? There is none! It is simply poor design and videogame storytelling by Kojima.

Well, being that codecs are out of the picture in MGS4..... they probably changed the conversing between characters from codecs to cutscenes. Either way, If anyone expects Kojima to tie up all the loose ends in the MGS series, then it shouldn't be hard to expect that it'll take alot of cutscenes and time.

i just have never really like cut scenes longer then a joke or a point or two

those tend to get me bored and i lose interest in the game

DTG said:
starcraft said:
Oyvoyvoyv said:
Why do you complain? This is taking story to the next level, if you dislike story, buy the mindless shooter games, they outnumber games like this by at least 5:1.
The best games integrate most of their story into the gameplay, ala Bioshock.

I disagree. Bioshock has nowhere near the scope of storyline MGS games have. You cannot integrate story into gameplay, it is impossible because it can only make for a superficial narrative. You can imply certain themes and ideas but not tell an actual word by word story. Nor can you impart a well argued social and political commentary that is so integral to MGS games through gameplay. Bioshock failed miserably when it came to delivering a truly mature storyline. It juggled with some philosophical ideas that the writers tried to raise yet it failed to explore any of them in any meaningful manner, percisely because there was not enough storyline behind it to provide substance.

Planescape: Torment almost completely integrates the story in the gameplay, and Planescape has the best story in videogaming history. Hell Fallout 1&2 have their stories fully integrated in the gameplay, and those stories are some of the best ever.