By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGS4 to have 90 minute long cutscenes?

Wow 90 Minute cutscenes...I managed to sit through MGS, MGS2, MGS3, Final Fantasy X, and Star Ocean: Till The End of Time which all had their share of lengthy cutscenes but I now have to figure out how to sit through MGS4. It's possible since I am pretty patient.

Around the Network
FJ-Warez said:
Darc Requiem said:
Okay, that settles it. Kojima just needs to go off and make movies and or TV programs. Games are to be played not watched. Can this really be true? I mean one 90 minute cutscene is inexcusable. More than one is criminal. I really hope this is some sort of exaggeration.

I agree with you, is kinda insane the ammount of time you spend watching a game without doing anything, but I remember about how some kind of interaction is allowed during some cutscenes...  so there is hope... for one side, for the other, if is true, he is narrowing their potential buyers base...

Exactly. All but the most hardcore MGS nerds are just going to either skip these scenes or be totally turned off by them. That's not a good thing.

And it's not like the whole 90 minutes is going to be character building and dialogue. Most of it will probably be action scenes and fights that could have easily been playable instead. So I don't see how it's "taking story to the next level".

Games like Mass Effect and Bioshock are doing that by making stroytelling interactive or blending it into the game itself.

I was already pissed with this game, now I practically hate it. And don't get me wrong, I love the series.

How people can condone and appreciate this baffles me.

Cheebee said:

DTG said:

You cannot integrate story into gameplay, it is impossible because it can only make for a superficial narrative.

The Metroid Prime games beg to differ. :p

As for the length of these cutscenes, well, I like my cutscenes every now and then, and I certainly don't mind watching them for several minutes, but when they get too long, like, 10 minutes+ish, that's taking it too far, in my opinion. 90 Minutes is just insane. IMHO.

Metroid Prime? Are you actually comparing MP's styoryline to MGS1 and 2? Have you played MGS games before? They far suprass anything in MP.. I mean Metroid Prime wouldn't even pass as a class B sci fi flick. Or class Z for that matter... It's an awesome game, but not as a storyline.

I understand why many would be upset by this though. I'm personally glad about the 90 min cutscens but many will not be. 

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
I was already pissed with this game, now I practically hate it. And don't get me wrong, I love the series.

how long have you been playing it ?  i dont think its out yet .

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network
--OkeyDokey-- said:
FJ-Warez said:
Darc Requiem said:
Okay, that settles it. Kojima just needs to go off and make movies and or TV programs. Games are to be played not watched. Can this really be true? I mean one 90 minute cutscene is inexcusable. More than one is criminal. I really hope this is some sort of exaggeration.

I agree with you, is kinda insane the ammount of time you spend watching a game without doing anything, but I remember about how some kind of interaction is allowed during some cutscenes... so there is hope... for one side, for the other, if is true, he is narrowing their potential buyers base...

Exactly. All but the most hardcore MGS nerds are just going to either skip these scenes or be totally turned off by them. That's not a good thing.

And it's not like the whole 90 minutes is going to be character building and dialogue. Most of it will probably be action scenes and fights that could have easily been playable instead. So I don't see how it's "taking story to the next level".

Games like Mass Effect and Bioshock are doing that by making stroytelling interactive or blending it into the game itself.

Most of MGS' cutscenes are generally dialogue. Very long dialogue sequences... End of MGS2 anyone?

And this is a game for the fans, I think Kojima has enough integrity to realize that it is his fans that made the series what it is and that he owes them that much as to make the final game in the series as the hardcore fans would want it to be. 

This is why I don't like MGS series. Too much cut-scenes.

psrock said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:

how long have you been playing it ? i dont think its out yet .

Check up on your reading skills, pal. I never said I played it. I hate it because it's taking steps backward from what MGS3 had, and now it has 90 minute cutscenes. I don't have to play it to know that 90 minute cutscenes don't fall into my fancy.

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
psrock said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:

Check up on your reading skills, pal. I never said I played it. I hate it because it's taking steps backward from what MGS3 had, and now it has 90 minute cutscenes. I don't have to play it to know that 90 minute cutscenes don't fall into my fancy.

MGS3 was the step backwards from MGS2. How can MGS4 be a step backwards if it returns to MGS2's form?

DTG said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
psrock said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:

MGS3 was the step backwards from MGS2. How can MGS4 be a step backwards if it returns to MGS2's form?

I might be blinded because I played MGS3 recently and MGS2 last summer, but please enlighten me as to what steps backwards MGS3 took? I genuinely want to know.