By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGS4 to have 90 minute long cutscenes?

bbsin said:
Profcrab said:
bbsin said:
Profcrab said:

You make like it, but it's still bad storytelling for an action game. JRPGs are generally the haven for the heavy cutscene crowd. In fact, most of any JRPG is repetitive gameplay for which you are rewarded with a cutscene. With action games, story is generally told more in game than in cutscenes. Since the players spend more time interacting with the environment, there are greater opportunites for integrated story telling. MGS is using the JRPG model for an action game which is actually a few steps backwards in the genre.

Yeah because games like RE4, Haze and GeOW have awesome story telling models. I fail to see how else Kojima can end all the story arcs and questions that were continued from Metal Gear 1 to MGS3 being that this is the last game with Solid Snake without writing a novel to explain the back stories.... oh wait, then Kojima would be copying Bioware wouldn't he?

Maybe Kojima should start painting from the corner to the door instead of from the door to the corner?

Bioware's games have been solid within the games themselves. Including all the backstory for every character and every situation is very, very difficult to pull of and sometimes irresponsible to do it.

Also, bringing up other games that may not have great storytelling doesn't help your case.

Bringing up the "few steps backwards in the genre" comment didn't help yourcase either.

And no, I do not want to turn this into a Kojima vs Bioware war. If you hadn't noticed I love Bioware games and Mass Effect was my favorite game as year, my gamercard has Garrus' face on it for pete's sake. My point is this, Mass Effect and MGS4 are too different games, at this point, blending ME's interactions with MGS4 would not benefit MGS4 at all. MGS4 has one goal in mind in terms of story: answer all the questions. ME had one goal: make the players immersed in the universe. Cutscenes are the best way to do MGS4 and Interactive scenes are the best way to do ME, that;s my point.

It is a few steps backwards.  The use of cutscenes to tell most of the story is an old trick for action games.  It mainly goes back to when graphic quality was not that high and the environments were not immersive.  Turn based RPGs use them because there is no real other way to do it when you aren't interacting with the environment.  Everyone else is using much more effective techniques to tell story but Kojima's stuck in cutsceneland.  It isn't the best way to do it.  You are just giving Kojima too much credit when he is a bad video game story teller.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Around the Network

I dont see the problem :

Just sit down and appreciate (if it is good ofc). Consider it is like a bonus movie u get with ur game.

The only bad thing is that u can't watch them progressively like a DVD jumping in it easly to be able to the 90min in 3*30min....

Time to Work !

Words Of Wisdom said:
Torillian said:

Hell I don't see this as much worse than your average RPG, and it'll probably have more involved gameplay than most turnbased RPG's.

There is more to gameplay than the amount of time spent mashing the controller. You know this right?

Well I'd be interested to hear what you mean by this.  Although sometimes I suspect you just like to say nicely quotable things for later video game inspired fortune cookies.  

If you mean that you don't have to be pressing buttons to be immersed in the game, I would agree, but I think that some would not define non button pressing segments of the game as "gameplay"

libellule said:
I dont see the problem :

Just sit down and appreciate (if it is good ofc). Consider it is like a bonus movie u get with ur game.

The only bad thing is that u can't watch them progressively like a DVD jumping in it easly to be able to the 90min in 3*30min....

It would be nice if they were good instead of boring B-movie quality, but I'm still not interested in watching even 30 minute cut scenes. Literally I'd rather be:

(1) watching a good movie or show, tons of which I have on my HD-DVR.

or

(2) playing a fun video game

And, for the record, the gamepro (which sucks) editor said that ninety minutes "sounds like an exaggeration" and that he doesn't remember any scenes being 90 minutes. But the very fact that he can't say for sure, after playing through the game twice, is very telling.

"I played the game twice and I'm not sure, but I don't think any cut scenes where 90 minutes," to paraphrase.  Very encouraging. Why don't you know -- did you skip them? Did you fall asleep? How can you not know after playing twice? 

Profcrab said:
bbsin said:
Profcrab said:
bbsin said:
Profcrab said:

You make like it, but it's still bad storytelling for an action game. JRPGs are generally the haven for the heavy cutscene crowd. In fact, most of any JRPG is repetitive gameplay for which you are rewarded with a cutscene. With action games, story is generally told more in game than in cutscenes. Since the players spend more time interacting with the environment, there are greater opportunites for integrated story telling. MGS is using the JRPG model for an action game which is actually a few steps backwards in the genre.

Yeah because games like RE4, Haze and GeOW have awesome story telling models. I fail to see how else Kojima can end all the story arcs and questions that were continued from Metal Gear 1 to MGS3 being that this is the last game with Solid Snake without writing a novel to explain the back stories.... oh wait, then Kojima would be copying Bioware wouldn't he?

Maybe Kojima should start painting from the corner to the door instead of from the door to the corner?

Bioware's games have been solid within the games themselves. Including all the backstory for every character and every situation is very, very difficult to pull of and sometimes irresponsible to do it.

Also, bringing up other games that may not have great storytelling doesn't help your case.

Bringing up the "few steps backwards in the genre" comment didn't help yourcase either.

And no, I do not want to turn this into a Kojima vs Bioware war. If you hadn't noticed I love Bioware games and Mass Effect was my favorite game as year, my gamercard has Garrus' face on it for pete's sake. My point is this, Mass Effect and MGS4 are too different games, at this point, blending ME's interactions with MGS4 would not benefit MGS4 at all. MGS4 has one goal in mind in terms of story: answer all the questions. ME had one goal: make the players immersed in the universe. Cutscenes are the best way to do MGS4 and Interactive scenes are the best way to do ME, that;s my point.

It is a few steps backwards. The use of cutscenes to tell most of the story is an old trick for action games. It mainly goes back to when graphic quality was not that high and the environments were not immersive. Turn based RPGs use them because there is no real other way to do it when you aren't interacting with the environment. Everyone else is using much more effective techniques to tell story but Kojima's stuck in cutsceneland. It isn't the best way to do it. You are just giving Kojima too much credit when he is a bad video game story teller.

For a game like MGS,  Kojima is trying to give a movie-like feel to the story so that's why he is still using cutscenes

Around the Network

We understand that. The problem is that other games have done a better job of "feeling like a movie" without lengthy non-interactive cutscenes.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Torillian said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Torillian said:

Hell I don't see this as much worse than your average RPG, and it'll probably have more involved gameplay than most turnbased RPG's.

There is more to gameplay than the amount of time spent mashing the controller. You know this right?

Well I'd be interested to hear what you mean by this. Although sometimes I suspect you just like to say nicely quotable things for later video game inspired fortune cookies.

If you mean that you don't have to be pressing buttons to be immersed in the game, I would agree, but I think that some would not define non button pressing segments of the game as "gameplay"

Ack, he's onto me! 

Let's take a game like Fire Emblem as our example.  Now, the gameplay consists of selecting a unit, moving it, and choosing a weapon to attack with.  That's the extent of the button-pressing part of this example. 

However, with each of those individual steps there is a lot of thought and time spent.  Do you select your axe-wielding horseman or your sword-wielding myrmidon?  Do you move her onto cover to prepare for the enemy's movement or do you attack straight out?  Do you attack with the iron sword that has more accuracy and uses but less power or the silver sword with more power but fewer uses and less accuracy?

Sure you're just doing 3 things in the game but the thought process that goes into those three things can be incredibly deep.  I consider all that thought and preparation to be gameplay just as much as the individual button presses.  

Riachu said:
Profcrab said:
bbsin said:
Profcrab said:
bbsin said:
Profcrab said:

It is a few steps backwards. The use of cutscenes to tell most of the story is an old trick for action games. It mainly goes back to when graphic quality was not that high and the environments were not immersive. Turn based RPGs use them because there is no real other way to do it when you aren't interacting with the environment. Everyone else is using much more effective techniques to tell story but Kojima's stuck in cutsceneland. It isn't the best way to do it. You are just giving Kojima too much credit when he is a bad video game story teller.

For a game like MGS, Kojima is trying to give a movie-like feel to the story so that's why he is still using cutscenes

Here is the main problem with that. It isn't a movie. It doesn't make the player feel like they are part of a movie with cutscenes, instead they are playing to reach the next cutscene. So, instead of feeling like you are Solid Snake, you get to be a donkey following a carrot. Incorporating the story with the game gives players the feeling that they are the action hero in that movie. So, Kojima is trying to take the player farther out of the game instead of immersing a player in it. This throws the action video game concept totally in reverse. If you want to make a player feel like they are a part of a movie, you have to keep them immersed. Removing the player from an action game for too long disconnects them from that feeling.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

DTG said:
Cheebee said:

DTG said:

You cannot integrate story into gameplay, it is impossible because it can only make for a superficial narrative.

The Metroid Prime games beg to differ. :p

As for the length of these cutscenes, well, I like my cutscenes every now and then, and I certainly don't mind watching them for several minutes, but when they get too long, like, 10 minutes+ish, that's taking it too far, in my opinion. 90 Minutes is just insane. IMHO.

Metroid Prime? Are you actually comparing MP's styoryline to MGS1 and 2? Have you played MGS games before? They far suprass anything in MP.. I mean Metroid Prime wouldn't even pass as a class B sci fi flick. Or class Z for that matter... It's an awesome game, but not as a storyline.

I understand why many would be upset by this though. I'm personally glad about the 90 min cutscens but many will not be. 

No no no, I'm not comparing the storylines of the MP games to the MGS ones, I'm merely pointing out that storytelling can very well be done in-game, if executed in the right way.

Also, yes I have played MGS games before, and I agree they have pretty good stories, but saying the Metroid Prime stories are that bad is just silly. Yes, the overall plot is fairly simple, but the beauty of the storylines in the Prime games is the fact that you can uncover as much about them as you wish. If you scan every enemy, structure, computer file, logbook, item, vehicle. etc. etc., you get an idea of just how intricate and detailed everything blends together and creates a living breathing world. You can just skip all the scanning and blast right through the entire games as fast as you can, or you can take your time to find out every little bit there is to uncover. They're good stories, really, if you take the time to learn them.

Still, 90 minutes for a single cutscene is grossly long.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

edited by Rocketpig, CheeBee somehow FUBARed the page layout. No problem, fixed.

Okay thanks, dunno what happened, but it sure was awkward. :p 

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046