By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii HD and the possibilities to see it happen.

I dunno making the console a HD was Iwata's plan to upstream the market, like I said why not do this before?

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
Lingyis said:
before even getting into the technicalities of such a peripheral, the big question is:

why?

it is so pointless.

As you know Iwata has said that they plao to target everyone and at the moment, they don't target the most demanding audience, the people who want HD games. In other words, Nintendo would move upstream. Besides, look how many "HD exclusive" games there is. It would make the devs more willing to port their games for Wii and the most commonly used HD engine, UE3, would be somewhat compatible with it.

ask yourself: if you're iwata, would you do it?

clearly no. 

you need a reason for those people who want HD games to buy this peripheral.  but a much, much superior solution is just buy a 360 or ps3. 

indeed--those who want an HD game would have bought one of those consoles by then if it's so important. 

the Wii is an epidemic.

^^^

They'll mot make the Wii to be HD, Ninty tells us many times already, theyre not pushing for graphics this time like Ps360 did.

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

bdbdbd said:
yushire said:

Well, it's not "easy", but think of the costs. Releasing a HD console in 2006, would have resulted in extremely high costs, releasing a HD add-on for christmas 2009 with 45nm tech, would be cheap. You'd remain the profits out of the original hardware, without increasing its price and make more profit with the new peripheral who wants one. Look at people who pays nearly two times the price of Wii for the PS3 just to be able to play in HD. The market is big. And even the devs wouldn't have to develope in HD, they still could make their Carnival Games as "standard" Wii games, but games like CoD6 would virtually be on par with PS360.

Well they have shot on this, but I think the HD console will not be introduced I said introduced till 2010, will be released till 2011. E3 this year or even TGS 2009 is too early to introduced a new HD console...

E3 2010- Tape runs out

- There's no point in making the Wii graphics HD.
- This is impossible to do without releasing a new console. At best, with a peripheral, you'll get what good displays are already doing.
- "people that want HD" are not upstream market of videogames.
- "people that want HD" are an insignificant part of the market and impossible to please. Like "people that want movies with lots of blood", this group of people doesn't make sense to begin with.
- A 600 pixels vertical resolution is not nearly on par with a 480 pixels vertical resolution to the human eye.
- There's no point in doing that, 3rd parties can't even master the supposedly little power the Wii has as it is.

Around the Network
Lingyis said:
bdbdbd said:
Lingyis said:
before even getting into the technicalities of such a peripheral, the big question is:

why?

it is so pointless.

As you know Iwata has said that they plao to target everyone and at the moment, they don't target the most demanding audience, the people who want HD games. In other words, Nintendo would move upstream. Besides, look how many "HD exclusive" games there is. It would make the devs more willing to port their games for Wii and the most commonly used HD engine, UE3, would be somewhat compatible with it.

ask yourself: if you're iwata, would you do it?

clearly no. 

you need a reason for those people who want HD games to buy this peripheral.  but a much, much superior solution is just buy a 360 or ps3. 

indeed--those who want an HD game would have bought one of those consoles by then if it's so important. 

The bolded part is the point. If you want HD, you need to get PS3 or 360. Besides, think of the people who would like to see their current Wii games looking better on their HDTV:s. Think how many devs would port their games for Wii, if it would be cheap. The audience that want their HD shooters, isn't going anywhere, it's just that they're not going to get Wii. And also the HD adoption rate is only going up. @yushire: How early is Nintendo going to announce this? As late as possible for it not to effect the current sales. They even announce their games max of 6 months before release. Christmas 2009 would be pretty good time for the peripheral to enter the market, cost efficiently speaking.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

I'm not sure there's really an audience for HD games. What there is, is an audience who thinks they want HD games, but will happily buy non-HD games like GTA4 and the countless other titles which are not really in HD, just upscaled.

Wait, I'm not sure where I'm going with this anymore, the last part kind of cancelled out the point I was going to make. Is it the upscaling which makes some people prefer the HD consoles, or is it the rest of the stuff which is not dependent on resolution?

Thinking again about it, yes, maybe it could make sense to make a Wii Upscaler, depending on a lot of technical stuff which could either work or not work. Only Nintendo knows for sure.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

^^^

Just for people out here, have you played Zelda: twilight Princess I didnt say the game was bad but the graphics was outdated in today's standards. Half life 2 on the PC was much better even its non HD.

I didnt say that I like HD games or not but what I wanna say is atleast make out with the graphics of some Wii games. I didnt say that Ninty wouldnt make the console in HD, but its too expensive to make an HD console early on in its lifecycle. YEAH, I want the wii games to be in HD, but like I said its too early for Ninty to do this.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

bdbdbd said:

The bolded part is the point. If you want HD, you need to get PS3 or 360. Besides, think of the people who would like to see their current Wii games looking better on their HDTV:s. Think how many devs would port their games for Wii, if it would be cheap. The audience that want their HD shooters, isn't going anywhere, it's just that they're not going to get Wii. And also the HD adoption rate is only going up. @yushire: How early is Nintendo going to announce this? As late as possible for it not to effect the current sales. They even announce their games max of 6 months before release. Christmas 2009 would be pretty good time for the peripheral to enter the market, cost efficiently speaking.

bold part: my point is, if Wii has a HD peripheral, if you want HD, you 100% SHOULD still get a ps3 or 360, because that'll be a much, much, much superior way.

italized part: this group is a very select few.  again, if they want games to look better that badly, they SHOULD still get a ps3 or 360.

underline part:the "if" is such a big "if" it's almost not worth bringing up.

underline italized: precisely.  and even if HD peripheral comes out, again, SHOULD still get ps360. 

yeah, all the reasons you said COULD work, but they are very weak reasons.  bottom line is, even if they make such a peripheral, the MUCH, MUCH, MUCH superior solution for HD content is ps360.   

the Wii is an epidemic.

yushire said:
Lingyis said:

why?

it is so pointless.
For core gamers out there who wants great graphics for the Wii?

The games won't look much better because they are in high def. A machine can't change the code of the game, it'll just spread em out and focus in more on the faults of the game.

I agree, this is a pointless peripheral. I can't see a use for it. I think component cables and 480p make the Wii look very good on a HD TV, but there is no point of changing SD games to HD. It's confusing, won't make the games look much better, un-necessarily expensive, and pointless. I just can't see a purpose for it, despite my minutes of ponderance.

I guess Nintendo fanboys like myself could say to other fanboys, "Haha, not we got HD" but then it would be validating their "HD is important" philosophy, and also be an empty claim because anyone who thinks about it will realize that the games aren't actually meant to run in HD, and probably look worse than SD, and to top it all off, it still won't change the fact that the Wii's graphics are worse than its competitors.

It would be like Microsoft releasing a Wii-mote.

Except...I don't think Nintendo has any reason to desperately be seeking out the HD audience, unlike Microsoft and Sony with the casual one. 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.