By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii HD and the possibilities to see it happen.

Lingyis said:
bdbdbd said:

The bolded part is the point. If you want HD, you need to get PS3 or 360. Besides, think of the people who would like to see their current Wii games looking better on their HDTV:s. Think how many devs would port their games for Wii, if it would be cheap. The audience that want their HD shooters, isn't going anywhere, it's just that they're not going to get Wii. And also the HD adoption rate is only going up. @yushire: How early is Nintendo going to announce this? As late as possible for it not to effect the current sales. They even announce their games max of 6 months before release. Christmas 2009 would be pretty good time for the peripheral to enter the market, cost efficiently speaking.

bold part: my point is, if Wii has a HD peripheral, if you want HD, you 100% SHOULD still get a ps3 or 360, because that'll be a much, much, much superior way.

italized part: this group is a very select few.  again, if they want games to look better that badly, they SHOULD still get a ps3 or 360.

underline part:the "if" is such a big "if" it's almost not worth bringing up.

underline italized: precisely.  and even if HD peripheral comes out, again, SHOULD still get ps360. 

yeah, all the reasons you said COULD work, but they are very weak reasons.  bottom line is, even if they make such a peripheral, the MUCH, MUCH, MUCH superior solution for HD content is ps360.   

Well superior, yes, but not the only anymore. Marketing advantages and the advantage of getting the HD games etc. Most of all, they could make even more profit with the existing userbase.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
yushire said:
Lingyis said:
before even getting into the technicalities of such a peripheral, the big question is:

why?

it is so pointless.
For core gamers out there who wants great graphics for the Wii?

The games won't look much better because they are in high def. A machine can't change the code of the game, it'll just spread em out and focus in more on the faults of the game.

I agree, this is a pointless peripheral. I can't see a use for it. I think component cables and 480p make the Wii look very good on a HD TV, but there is no point of changing SD games to HD. It's confusing, won't make the games look much better, un-necessarily expensive, and pointless. I just can't see a purpose for it, despite my minutes of ponderance.

I guess Nintendo fanboys like myself could say to other fanboys, "Haha, not we got HD" but then it would be validating their "HD is important" philosophy, and also be an empty claim because anyone who thinks about it will realize that the games aren't actually meant to run in HD, and probably look worse than SD, and to top it all off, it still won't change the fact that the Wii's graphics are worse than its competitors.

It would be like Microsoft releasing a Wii-mote.

Except...I don't think Nintendo has any reason to desperately be seeking out the HD audience, unlike Microsoft and Sony with the casual one.

So, making it HD cant make the game looks better? I might aswell wish for Source graphics qaulity on the Wii then, as long as it dont have Zelda: Twilight Princess graphics its ok for me...

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

USB doesn't have the bandwidth to drive HD. To run DVI / HDMI requires a pixcel clock of about 1485Mhz or about 1.485Gb/sec. USB typically only runs at 12Mbps, although high speed can run at 480mbps.

So, as you know, such a device would really have to do all the processing itself, have it's own memory, and only use the wii as an interface to the DVD and bluetooth and 802.11 controllers. It might save $50 from the cost of an entire new console, or maybe $100 as it wouldn't need a backward compatibility chips if existing video is also routed through it...

Far more likely for a new model with backward compatibility than an add on kludge.

jlauro said:
USB doesn't have the bandwidth to drive HD. To run DVI / HDMI requires a pixcel clock of about 1485Mhz or about 1.485Gb/sec. USB typically only runs at 12Mbps, although high speed can run at 480mbps.

So, as you know, such a device would really have to do all the processing itself, have it's own memory, and only use the wii as an interface to the DVD and bluetooth and 802.11 controllers. It might save $50 from the cost of an entire new console, or maybe $100 as it wouldn't need a backward compatibility chips if existing video is also routed through it...

Far more likely for a new model with backward compatibility than an add on kludge.

exactly.  that's what i mean by technicalities.  in addition, there is no external device that lets you access RAM anywhere near as quickly as off a motherboard.

but as i've been arguing, you don't really to get to the technical reasons to see that it is not sensible to release an external HD peripheral for the Wii.  the market just isn't there. 

the Wii is an epidemic.

jlauro said:

As i said, it would have its own memory and processor. What it would basically do, is use the "chewed" data through component and get the additional data through USB.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Around the Network

Then it would be, basically, a second console Mr. Hairy Man. It's pointless.

It would be more feasible to do a firmware update to enable 720p, but in any case, even in that resolution, the best looking Wii games will NOT look like the best looking PS360 games. I totally see Wii getting 720p support late on it's life time, but ONLY if it's via firmware.

bdbdbd said:
jlauro said:

As i said, it would have its own memory and processor. What it would basically do, is use the "chewed" data through component and get the additional data through USB.

and the whole point is, USB doesn't have enough bandwidth, whether for HD content or RAM access.

the Wii is an epidemic.

I can't see this happening, it's just not a part of Nintendo's strategy these days. Plus the Wii is already selling insane amounts, they can't keep up with demand, so it'd make no sense to release a peripheral like that.. Also, it'd kind of alienate lots of Wii owners.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Up-scaling does not make something HD - Almost every recent LCD HD TV has a built in upscalling capability allready - such a peripheral would be totally useless !

The only way Nintendo will get HD is by putting out a new console - For certain Nintendo WILL maintain backwards compatibility (The Wii is 100% comptible with GC), and nintendo are sure to go to faster Power PC probably 3 Ghz . They may even go multicore with something like a Cell or Xenon.

PS3 number 1 fan

Lingyis said:
bdbdbd said:
jlauro said:

and the whole point is, USB doesn't have enough bandwidth, whether for HD content or RAM access.

It would be seen as increased loading times. The peripheral would have its own RAM. Look, even the GPU rarely has RAM access, usually they read from their own VRAM. @Stephen700: But that's exactly what the HD consoles seem to be doing these days. Besides, the upscalers in TV:s seem to be pretty bad. And this peripherals idea was to add hardware effects besides upscaling.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.