By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - do you think Sony is holding back some titles due to.......

starcraft said:
makingmusic476 said:

Yeah, and that's basically why Insomniac sticks with Sony. Sony basically helps them with whatever they need, and they seem to have a lot of sway with Sony in getting what they want.

In the end, for a studio that survives on the profit of it's own titles, I don't think they'd take to kindly to Sony forcing them to push back their title. And I'm sure Sony wouldn't want to offend them in any way, thus they concede to Insomniac.

Conversely, with GG Sony can just say, "Deal with it." :P

I think its unlikely Insomniac have to survive off the profit of their own titles, unless you consider such profit to include substantial money-hatting from Sony to disuade them from the massive sales Resistance 2 could get on the Xbox 360

Insomniac sticks with Sony because they have all the perks of being a first party developer (cheap, if not free, dev kits, getting dev kits way before everybody else [even a lot of first party studios, from what I hear], etc.), while retaining the creative independence of a third party studio.

Having Sony order them to delay their game would essentially mean they've lost that independence, something they would not take to kindly to.  Hell, their highly independent nature is the main reason they haven't allowed themselves to actually be bought by Sony yet, unlike Naughty Dog and others.

Around the Network

@windbane

From what I have seen so far, Killzone 2 thrashes Gears2 and Resistance 2 graphically. GG couls probably release it today and it would still look better then R2 and G2 when they release this fall.

tombi123 said:
@windbane

From what I have seen so far, Killzone 2 thrashes Gears2 and Resistance 2 graphically. GG couls probably release it today and it would still look better then R2 and G2 when they release this fall.

Well, they need that to be the case to seperate themselves somehow. Every holiday season is a freaking FPS free-for-all now.

starcraft said:

I'm going to ask you one more time to either provide some quantitative evidence that the GDC Rrod Xbox 360 was a recent model, or to straight-out acknowledge that you don't know if it was or not?

I also didn't say that the PS3 now breaks down more than the Xbox 360, but that we have heard more reports of it in the last few months.  Do you dispute that?

As for software updates and gaming software breaking PS3's?  Sony IS liable.  Didn't you read the threads?  Sony has replaced the ones that were in warranty, and charged to repair the ones that had disk errors or GTAIV problems and were out of warranty.  

As for your final question, I haven't made a single sweeping statement about actual failure rates, but simply challenged the misconception that Rrod is more than a rare occurence in new Xbox 360's.  But as you DO seem to be making sweeping statements, how about you back them up with some evidence? 

Like I said, two likely scenarios, new model or old model. Either way, you're not going to make Microsoft seem all-so innocent in this one, and either way, it's a RRoD.

I'm not disputing that PS3s don't break, but I am disputing your notion of there being "far more reports" of PS3s breaking compared to the 360, and if you won't acknowledge what you said, then there is no point in me wasting my time with you.

If an update breaks the PS3, it's Sony's fault. If the software breaks the console, that's Rockstar's fault. We didn't get reports of software updates breaking the PS3, which again is what you hinted at, rather the game itself was breaking the PS3.

Now you are saying that I am making assumptions on the new 360 models, when all this time I've been talking about the RRoD in general. Haven't heard the newer models of 360s breaking down? Here:

http://forums.xbox.com/17947417/ShowPost.aspx

Enjoy!

what heavy hitters ur talking about ? all they got is GTA/MGS4
dont bring me those games that no one knows shit about LBP etc..

Around the Network

The game is most likely being delayed to fill a gap that they see in next years release schedule. If they see no one else is going to have a game ready from January to September next year they'll obviously need a game to keep people interested.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

starcraft said:
makingmusic476 said:
starcraft said:
Well first I'd like to throw in the phrases "delaystation 3" and "domination delayed."

Having done that, I'll tell you I don't think the delays are deliberate (at least not the big delays). Economies of scale tell us that the more consoles one sells the quicker one can redistribute the losses over a larger production line and bring down average cost.

Although I agree that the strange irony is if Sony sold 3 million consoles in the next week they would lose a tonne of money, the week after that they would already be receiving substantial cost savings on the next run of PS3's due to economies of scale and increased efficiency of production.

Sony (and for that matter Microsoft and Nintendo) want to sell more consoles. The optimal outcome is a large, sustained number of consoles sold that allows them to maximize efficiency and scale economies, and happens sooner rather than later.

I can see what gave you the idea, but I don't agree with it.

Lulz. Alan Wake? Splinter Cell: Conviction?

And let's not get started on Too Human. *rolls eyes*

OT: I don't think so. If anything, they'd want to get these games out ASAP as software sales are their main source of profit.

Er?  Too Human's delays were all on Sony and Nintendo platforms

And try coming up with a catchy name like DELAYSTATION for the Xbox 360?

Alan Wake was never announced as being a 2008 title (too use your Killzone 2 line)  Splinter Cell I alreadyy mentioned in this thread. 

A catchy name for 360?

I have one...

*excuse my language*

XBOX three-shitty?

Is that catchy enough?

MeowTheMouse said:
what heavy hitters ur talking about ? all they got is GTA/MGS4
dont bring me those games that no one knows shit about LBP etc..

Probably high pofile full sequels to PS2 games like Gran Turismo, The Getaway, Jak & Daxter, SOCOM, Tekken, God of War, Twisted Metal, Killzone, Team ICO project, etc.

Square Enix games like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, etc. (Especially crucial for fast sales in Japan)

New exclusive efforts to be published by Sony. like White Knight Story, Eight Days, LittleBigPlanet, Afrika, Eyedentify, The Agency, Heavy Rain, etc.

Sony and partners are taking their time to release these games, many of them highly anticipated games, this also allows the game engines to mature for modern technology and allow for more game polish.

Microsoft has played all their big proven aces, of the big XBox games only Star wars (multi-platform) and Fable haven't received 360 sequels yet. Next to this there's Banjo (looks dissapointing to me, IMO the good old 360 launch game Kameo looked so much fun and interesting) and Gear of War 2 (most shooter fans interested in a 360, probably already bought a 360 due to Halo or the first game, others will just wait for the PC version). Microsoft might buy themselves some exclusivity on multi-platform games to try to slow the PS3's progress.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB, don't be surprised if the Dragon Quest series, and MAYBE the Kingdom Hearts series, come to the Wii. Final Fantasy should help the PS3 a lot in Japan though, and I'm looking forward to LittleBigPlanet and White Knight Story quite a lot.

Sony had to make a series of MASSIVE price cuts they never anticipated making.

??? The 80Gb console costs 500$. The 60Gb with full BC did cost 600$. What MASSIVE pricecuts are you talking about? The 40Gb has a smaller hard-disc, less USB ports, no PS2 parts whatsoever, no card readers etc. pp.

The tech in the PS3 is already outdated. The latest PC games look considerably better than anything on any console.

Wow the spin gets worse. The ONLY game significantly better looking on PC is Crysis. Great achievement.