By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - do you think Sony is holding back some titles due to.......

MikeB said:
@ Squilliam

you have to understand there is a hard limit for cell optimization due to ram.

There are bottlenecks and limitations involved with any current system, but this amount of RAM imposes no hard limit for cell optimizations for the very long run. Limited RAM will actually push developers more towards optimisation (meaning finding the best ways to get the most out of limited resources).

Unlike on the PC companies cannot demand users to upgrade their RAM, CPU, GPU, etc. This is easier to do instead of full optimisation, getting the most of out of the hardware. On the PS3 it makes sense to do low-level optimisation and write the best designed game engine and as properly written code as possible. On the PC there's the problem of so many different configurations and options, and components being discontinued and replaced far more quickly, so devs stick to more abstractive approaches.

Actually it does, if you have to write 2-3x the lines of code you have a program that will use much more memory when it is in use. Console games are already hugely limited by ram, so forcing game developers to write bigger engines to take advantage of the extra programming isn't going to work. It's like robbing Peter to pay Paul.

PC companies don't usually have problems with anything except the most random hardware configurations. Everything on the PC is made to a generally agreed specification and they use APIs to take the programming strain away. You don't have to code for every Nvidia card, you just have to code for Nvidia cards in general.

Tease.

Around the Network
starcraft said:

You realize that the guy made no comment about when he bought his Xbox 360 right?

I haven't attempted to make Microsoft look innocent at all, thats why I created the thread about an Rrod at GDC.  You keep paraphrasing me, trying to imply that I'm saying there are far more reports of PS3's breaking than 360's breaking in perpetuaty, when all I'm saying is that recently, that has been the case.

I'm going to let you in on something you apparently are not aware of.  Every bit of software devs release for a console goes through a manufacturers approval process.  What that means is, Sony saw the code for the final release of GTAIV, approved it, then sent the game into production and release.

Sony are completely responsible for any PS3's that brick because of GTAIV, just as they are responsible for consoles that brick because of firmware updates. 

What your fault is you are confusing freezing with actual breakdown. Your other fault is, again, you belive software updates are making PS3s brick when that hasn't been the case at all.

Again, do not confuse not being able to play the game with actual breakdown of the console itself, and no, I am not saying that there were no reports of PS3s breaking down, what I am saying is there haven't been reports, as you tend to like to believe, where there have been quite a significant number of hardware malfunction as a result of the game.

@ Squilliam

Actually it does, if you have to write 2-3x the lines of code you have a program that will use much more memory when it is in use.

There are often smarter approaches to find to accomplish the same functionality in different more efficient ways and if you want to write much compacter, optimal performing code you use the low-level assembly language.

What do you think is the hard limit for executable code on the PS3 and on a mainstream PC (pick any config you desire) or 360?

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

nice one