By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What the hell is going on with the PS3?

rudyrsr8 said:
bdbdbd said:
rudyrsr8 said:
People who are worried about Sony just chill they are doing fine, not as great as they could but they are doing well, it is just a problem for the short term. Look into the long term picture as of now Nintendo and M$ have no tangible long term approach. Nintendo does to a degree but M$ just doesnt and once it gets maxed out PS3 will dominate just so long as every month it can outsell 360 as it has for a while now.

Hahaha. That was the funniest part so far in this thread. Nintendo is the one that has a long term plan. Sony and M$ might have had one, but since Nintendo fucked up their plans, they need to reconsider their plan. By looking at how Sony is starting to move their focus on profitability, it looks like Sony is working on with their new plan.

Thier long term plan isn't revealed fully is what i ment to say. Also a back up isnt present that we know of if something happens to the Wii. Nintendo changing up the market was a short term plan now they need to figure out for the mid and long term how to keep it and develope it and make a profit conintuing, the poeple some of their aim is for the casual woman and girl plus some guys who just play free web mini games, for them to continuously buy games is something unproven since they can go back to playing those free online games that is the long term problem i see with nintendo. M$ so far with its hardware will be maxed out soon and their price drops are having little overall effect of units selling and their main Halo game everyone knows about is gone and their is no new major service known soon. Sony on the other hand has all these upcoming promises that seem just around the courner that they keep promising. Their problem will be once it is all there will anyone care any more.

Any questions, comments or concerns let me know. 

Actually they have plans beyond the Wii already. So, let's see, let's take DS as an example of how the new audience doesn't buy games. Brain Training is the handheld Wii Fit (as it stands for the change in the industry), and by looking at its sales, they are huge. Now, let's take a look to even more interesting game, More Brain Training, which sales are even more impressive. And between them (launch date wise) fits Big Brain Academy, which also sold good numbers. Take any "training" game on DS, and you see how well they sold. Then again, NSMB opposing the Super Mario 64 DS, NSMB, which is "lower tier game" than SM64DS, beats it by wide margin. So, we can make a conclusion, that the new audience buys games just like the old audience, if there's games for them available. Let's look at PS2, it had a lot of the new audience games available, such as Singstar, Guitar Hero, DDR etc. But no games, that would have made the audience move up in tiers, well aside from GTA maybe. Unlike the DS has (the NSMB for example). Nintendos strategy is to make bridged games so, that the new audience eventually move up in tiers (and of course, teach the old audience to new type of games) and make higher tier games for the more demanding customers, before the switch to HD. Nintendo had realised that the industry needed to expand before the switch to HD, and one thing that is needed for the expansion, is low cost of games and hardware, to keep as low entry point as possible. It's no coincidence, that Miyamoto mentioned that they tried to aim at 99 retail price at some point during the developement cycle. After Wiis successor is out, Nintendo continues its strategy by pushing the Wii price down and continues to lure in more new gamers, while making Wiis successor even more appealing to even larger audience. Of course, i can't say how they are going to do that and whether Nintendo knows it itself, but the strategy itself is very clear. You'll eventually find out, that some Wii games, which some people may call dissappointments, will have "endless" legs and some will peak later this gen, as Nintendo moves closer to the more demanding audience.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
SlorgNet said:
Oh, dear, yet another Sony-is-doomed thread. Last time I checked (this morning, actually), year 2008 sales show Sony and Nintendo jostling at slightly above 40% console market share each, while Microsoft bumps along at 18%.

What figures are those? This isn't a stupid Sony Family statistic is it?

NeoRatt said:
Sony has made a few mistakes, Microsoft made a few mistakes as well (RRoD), and Nintendo made a few mistakes (Lack of processing power compartively to PS3 and 360)...

Although I'm disappointed in this generation, the good news is that all three consoles are still showing life, and that there is no clear cut winner which means that all three still have a huge motivation to create more great games which is a good thing for all of us...

I'm not exactly sure you can call that a mistake when it was a decision they made in order to keep the systems manufacturing and software development costs down; they were successful with this goal, the lower manufacturing costs are one of the reasons the Wii is so successful, and the lower development costs are one of the reasons the Wii has seen so much third party support (and may lead to further third party support).

It may not be something you apprieciate, but I don't think you can classify it as a mistake.

HappySqurriel said:
NeoRatt said:
Sony has made a few mistakes, Microsoft made a few mistakes as well (RRoD), and Nintendo made a few mistakes (Lack of processing power compartively to PS3 and 360)...

Although I'm disappointed in this generation, the good news is that all three consoles are still showing life, and that there is no clear cut winner which means that all three still have a huge motivation to create more great games which is a good thing for all of us...

I'm not exactly sure you can call that a mistake when it was a decision they made in order to keep the systems manufacturing and software development costs down; they were successful with this goal, the lower manufacturing costs are one of the reasons the Wii is so successful, and the lower development costs are one of the reasons the Wii has seen so much third party support (and may lead to further third party support).

It may not be something you apprieciate, but I don't think you can classify it as a mistake.

Besides, by looking at the current HD games, Nintendo could release "Wii HD" peripheral, which you would plug in to the component output and it would upscale up to 1080p with added hardware effects, such as more AA, more anisotopic filtering, boosted lighting effects etc.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

jake_the_fake1 said:
Squall_Leonhart said:
Ah, Twestern... But shams is extremely nintendo bias!!!

fixed :)

While you, on the other hand, are extremely fair and balanced.

The question is, when are people who think the PS3 is going to outsell the Wii worldwide, going to become irrelivant.

Both you and I know that it's only a matter of time before perception finally catches up with reality.

So, I ask you the question that most Sony fanboys tend to avoid:

Do you believe the Playstation 3 is likely to pass the Wii in worldwide sales, and if so, when?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:
PS2 is only with 4Mb vRam. =)

I`m not sure what Sony are doing.. their moves are kinda unlogical.
1) Not releasing 80GB bundle in Europe/Japan.
2) Kinda weak Playstation day show(only KZ2 which is not coming this year) and LBP.
3) And what about Infamous, Wardevil, Heavy Rain, 8 days, Afrika, Getaway 3, GoW3 and etc. No words at all.

Those are 3rd party exclusives. You won't see those revealed until E3.

another reason why im selling my ps3. home will never fucking come out, i should have been playing it by now, Killzone 2 is delayed to next year, I wanted that game more the resistance 2, HAZE smells like horse shit, i actually played it today at my friends, and next thing you know XMB gets delayed ff13 gets delayed, and gow3 gets delayed, and no videostore.

Sony have fucked up this generation badly, and i have no more interest in my ps3. I remember when the PS2 came out, i didnt play online, and it had some incredible games that i was addicted to for months, and i cant see ps3 giving me that same addiction.

the only problems are:

- Price
- Hard to develop for

If it had launched at $400 say, and dropped to $350 or even 300, it would be leading, or very close right now.

Why is everyone up and arms about PS3 all of a sudden? Its not like it was an amazing, market leading console 6 months ago...

I thought it was common knowledge that PS3 was pitched and sold to consumers on future promises and until those promises that you were looking for got here...one should not have bought it... Anyone that bought it based on those promises and is waiting for them while watching his console lose value, bought the hype and has only himself to blame.

One of those promises is coming in few weeks and hopefully it delivers.

blah, blah. blah, Just look at 2007 guys, it was the worst year for a playstation product, if the ps3 didnt die then it wont die now. This console is selling 3x as much as last year and its even outselling the 360. Yes, its not where you thought it would be, but guess what, deal with it. Things will get better, we just got to wait.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)