By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What the hell is going on with the PS3?

jake_the_fake1 said:

well delaying the PS3 would have been no option, and not including BC from the get go would have turned away allot of people that wanted it on day one, so holding out till the software emulation was ready and then removing the hardware and then releasing the software will actually make people happy and forget the fact it didn't have it, but this of course is assuming that my speculation turns out true.

How is emulation not possible on the PS3 considering the PS3 has tons more memory than the PS2?

They removed BC before an emulator was ready. That's a fact. And the only fact we have to go on. 

Emulation may not be possible because the memory embedded in the GS chip is faster than any of the memory currently in the PS3.

Around the Network
jake_the_fake1 said:
FishyJoe said:
jake_the_fake1 said:
FishyJoe said:
I still think their biggest post-launch mistake was removing BC. I believe it's one of the factors that led to decline of sales in Japan. To be a total entertainment machine, you've got to play all the entertainment, not just some of it.

But what if the reason they removed the hardware, was because they were nearing completition of a functional pure software emulator that would be introduced with firmware version 2.4, which is being rumoured to be the largest firmware update the PS3 will have.

I mean from the start Sony wanted to have pure software emulation but fell short and were forced to actually put PS2 hardware in the PS3 for BC, now I my self am just speculating but their's no denying that it could be a possibility.

Then they should have just waited until that was ready.

Besides, may very pro-PS3 people have said emulation may not be possible because of the GS and memory problem.

well delaying the PS3 would have been  no option, and not including BC from the get go would have turned away allot of people that wanted it on day one, so holding out till the software emulation was ready and then removing the hardware and then releasing the software will actually make people happy and forget the fact it didn't have it, but this of course is assuming that my speculation turns out true.

How is emulation not possible on the PS3 considering the PS3 has tons more memory than the PS2?

Memory bandwidth. PS2 has a lot faster memory than PS3. There's actually only way to get SW emulation to work, which is compressing before VRAM and decompressing the data after VRAM. Since i don't know how RSX would manage in such a task, i can't say how impossible it would be.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

There's a bunch of stuff Sony could do to help the PS3, like buying exclusives, another price drop, releasing a slim model etc. Sony could do that stuff without much trouble, seeing as how they're such a big company and everything.

The thing is, I don't think they want to. Sony is a very big corporation, and the gaming division is responsible to someone higher up. It would seem that someone has made it clear to Kaz and his crew that losing even more money is not an option, and making the console profitable is more important than widening the userbase.

Does that mean they're giving up? I would say no, they're just coming back to reality where consoles have to make money, and running a business like the PS3 so far is simply unacceptable.

This is why Sony's recent forecast is "only" 10 million, and why we won't be seeing a price cut anytime soon. Hopefully first party games like God of War 3 and whatever Team ICO is working on won't be affected.

@bdbdbd Sure some companies as a whole aren't doing so hot, but how many have gone bankrupt this gen? Any? Fact is, companies are losing money in some area's and gaining it just fine in others, and there is NO question that there are more game devs this generation than seemingly ever before, the projects are just infinitely more complicated and the budgets are bigger than ever. For every large scale flop that attempts to put the industry in a coma, there seems to be a COD4, Assassins creed, and GTA waiting to shock the shit out of it lol. I'd say were doing fine so far :P

And if the PS4 DOES use the Cell tech, it may not be the easiest to develop for, but it could very well be the cheapest, you wouldn't have to re-build engines from the ground up, merely expand upon them, and that would be fantastic for game development.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Sony Domination is a LIE! I repeat. Sony Domination is a LIE!!!

:P

Around the Network
ChronotriggerJM said:
@Rasone, I wouldn't doubt full HD movies on the store, Blu-ray is more than just a movie format after all, besides digital downloads WILL be a big part of the future, and Sony knows this, they however, still need a format for the rest of the world. Digital downloads as far as movies are concerned are a way's from taking off. It's like I stated in another thread, the next Xbox will NEED some form of physical media, because if they decide to go the download only route, they would be royally (pardon the term) fucked. Blu-ray is that next media format whether we want it or not xD.

Digital downloads is already a huge part of the present as movie priacy is astounding. The only to convince people to stop pirating is to drop the price of movies. Considering Blu-Ray are about 30$ each, piracy will continue to thrive which will, in time, effect the movie industry as much as it did with the music industry. At that moment, their only way to win is to make people download movies legally.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

@FishyJoe

that same removal of Bc resulted in a 300% increase in AN sales & VERY Strong EU sales..so stuff japan in that case
______

As for the OP, stop being ridiculous.....last year we were fighting against the GBA in NA n now with MGS4 coming in a month stop the negativity
________

Jeez its like the WII HATE WEEK now on PS3!!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Oh and everyone here knows SONY made that prediction after getting torn to shreds for their high prediction last year

its their way of saying Ps3 beat our forecast this year so STUF!

The PS3 in terms of games is becoming the N64. Major delays on games, sparce decent exclusives. It is selling on name at the minute, but how on earth those with only a PS3 this gen wait for the exclusives I'll never know. I have decided to get one on the cheap in 2 years time, because I would only have bought 2 games this year. MGS4 and LBP. I had KZ1 and was sorely dissapointed. And after Haze review, I expect KZ2 to get no more than 80's. Especially on Gameplay footage. It looks slow and to straight forward.

Oh and everyone here knows SONY made that prediction after getting torn to shreds for their high prediction last year

its their way of saying Ps3 beat our forecast this year so STFU!