By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How well will Metal Gear Solid 4 sell in Japan?

@Riachu

as is the case with NG2...

so far the gameplay videos look boring (been there n done that) & there is NO talk about it anywhere, atleast not on these forums.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
Riachu said:
MontanaHatchet said:
ToastyJaguar said:
Japanese people also like Ninja Gaiden 2 don't they. It's going to be interesting how the 2 games will sell.

Not really. None of the Ninja Gaiden games have sold over 100k in Japan, at least from Vgchartz data. I really don't know as far as Ninja Gaiden on the NES.

That is only because the games were either on a system that was not doing that great or the game was not hyped enough

Well, that brings us back to the 360 then, doesn't it? It's a real shame, because I'm sure Ninja Gaiden II will be a fantastic game. 

darthdevidem01 said:
@Riachu

as is the case with NG2...

so far the gameplay videos look boring (been there n done that) & there is NO talk about it anywhere, atleast not on these forums.
Ninja Gaiden 2 has been getting plenty of hype, just not as much as MGS4 or Gears of War 2

I dare not disscuss numbers with our master TheSource...

lightbleeder said:
I dare not disscuss numbers with our master TheSource...

It's like fighting Yoda, no matter how hard you try, you just can't win.

Around the Network

@MontanaHatchet

Uhhhh...excuse me but he got his ass-kicked by the emperor in EP 3...

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
@MontanaHatchet

Uhhhh...excuse me but he got his ass-kicked by the emperor in EP 3...

AHH HELL NAWZ!!!

It was clearly a draw.  Even those two guards agree.

First week it will sell at least 300k. 360K, i guess :P

380k first day, 60k HW

Totals: 600-650k soft, and HW down very fast at 10000- levels again

TheSource said:

Looking at when MGS4 launches in Japan, I don't think it is going to have the impact some people are expecting it to have.

Metal Gear Solid 2 on PS2 launched when PS2 was at about the numbers Wii has now ~6.2 million. The game sold to almost 500,000 users week one, and eventually sold nearly 900,000 units in Japan.

PS2 sales went from ~42k to ~118k when MGS2 released and then stabilized at enormous levels because the game was the main holiday title.

Metal Gear Solid 4 data will be in the week ending five weeks after May 10 (June 14). PS3 sales will likely be 2.15-2.25 million when the game releases.

Judging by the size of the user base, the non-holiday release, pricing, etc

I would put the game at 175k-225k week one...with PS3 averaging 30k/week for four weeks after its release.

I'm thinking it gets to ~500k in Japan.

What do you all think?

I think your overestimating its legs as a hardware mover. PS3 might only get a bump for 2 weeks is my guess.

However, I think you are low on your software sales.

In Japan, every PS3 owner will get this, due to lack of options. Like DMC before it, it will sell equivelantly to last gen itterations due to lack of choice on the PS3, PS2 had plenty of choice when MGS4 came out.

That said, remember that in Japan the PS2 was the leading console, and the Japanese tend to shun the PS3 this gen when it comes to hardware sales. We'll see a boost for 2 weeks and similar sales to MGS3, however, it will have no lasting effect, and it won't move that much hardware, just like all the other big games this gen for the PS3 outside of others.

No need to be conservative in your predictions. No matter how much the Sony fans rue them, eventually you'll probably be proven right twice over, and their temporary hate has already been achieved simply by creating this topic. 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.