By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Fit + VGChartz = Famous!!!

FishyJoe said:
The big difference being that Wii Fit is an optional accessory, it isn't being forced on Wii owners at enormous expense.

how is it optional, dont i need the board to use it? it's not cheap either.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

He's not saying the BOARD is optional, the game is.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

ssj12 said:

You are right. So you would easily understand that even though a product is aimed for one specific group others will still use it. That is pretty obvious. The thing were the focus of the product is coming from. The Wii is a VIDEO GAME console. This is the exact same problem that Sony has had with the PS3. It has features not specific for video games. That is where the issues seem to lie. Just like Sony has Blu-ray, Nintendo is pushing fitness.

The big difference is that nintendo gives you a choice. wii doesn't come with wii fit.  ps3 came with blu-ray, whether you want it or not, and you're paying an extra who-knows-how much for it.

Now here is the major issues I have here. Sony gets bitched at over having a new media format that supports both movies and games.

The majority of ps3 was from its pricing, a direct result of making blu-ray compulsory.   

Yet Nintendo, a company that has been around for a very long times and always focused on games, is pushing fitness. FITNESS and VIDEO GAMES does not even add up. Nintendo is not focusing the Wii at gaming, their own heritage. They are not being questioned on this at all.

Nintendo is certainly pushing the idea of having fun.   Video game is 100% about fun.

If, say, Nintendo teams up with Kaplan and makes a dry SAT prep "game", then your point is valid.

You can probably make an argument that Brain Age "games" are dry but it's a tough position to take.

If you people are about to say "but but DDR." Here is the thing, the main focus for DDR was not the fitness. It was the general interaction between user, game, user movement, and the music. Yes, the movement burned some fat, but that was not the focus of the game.

Some of you said, WiiFit has mini-games. Guess what? Just like Wii Sports, the mini-games are just tech-demos to show the overall properties the balance board has. Basically just to show the potential uses in other games.

The focus of WiiFit is not exactly to "keep you fit".  It is for you to have fun while performing these exercises.  

What you can criticize is that Nintendo is lying to consumers that just by playing WiiFit 20 minutes a day will keep you fit, and therefore the name WiiFit is a big fat lie.  Of course then you're taking on a more general issue, i.e. advertisement and product salespitch.

the Wii is an epidemic.

psrock said:
FishyJoe said:
The big difference being that Wii Fit is an optional accessory, it isn't being forced on Wii owners at enormous expense.

how is it optional, dont i need the board to use it? it's not cheap either.

as opposed to ps3's mandatory blu-ray, which added unncessary expense.

the Wii is an epidemic.

RolStoppable said:
@ssj12

How about this: Sony got criticized for Bluray, because everyone who wanted a PS3 was forced to pay for Bluray, whether or not he/she wanted to actually use it. You have to pay for all features of the PS3, even if you only want to use it for gaming, that's the issue people have/had.

If you don't like Wii Fit, you simply don't have to buy it. Just buy the games for your Wii, you actually want to play.

Here is the thing though. People did not originally see the benefit Blu-ray had for games. Now I believe that more and more people are seeing the benefits if offers.

I'm not saying that the balance board has no benefits to gaming at all. It's the software contained with the balance board. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

What's wrong with the software? Is it destryoing your insecure niche genre of videogames?

When does/did WiiFit release?

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

ssj12 said:
RolStoppable said:
@ssj12

How about this: Sony got criticized for Bluray, because everyone who wanted a PS3 was forced to pay for Bluray, whether or not he/she wanted to actually use it. You have to pay for all features of the PS3, even if you only want to use it for gaming, that's the issue people have/had.

If you don't like Wii Fit, you simply don't have to buy it. Just buy the games for your Wii, you actually want to play.

Here is the thing though. People did not originally see the benefit Blu-ray had for games. Now I believe that more and more people are seeing the benefits if offers.

I'm not saying that the balance board has no benefits to gaming at all. It's the software contained with the balance board.

let's see... of course, we need 25Gb games when 43Mb WiiWare games are actually more fun.

and sure, 9 hours of cutscenes is absolutely crucial to an epic, immersive gaming experience. 

the Wii is an epidemic.

cool, vgchartz for the win!

how did this become a wiifit vs ps3 thing? Anyways, i agree withh most of you guys, it's welcome change from the typical games we seem to get year after year. Nintendo understand the need for a change and they have successfully entered markets no other console could. Whatever the result, wiifit is a good thing. I hope MS and Sony learn from this.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

yeah, i hope MS and Sony, and may Apple--learn from this. coz i sure don't care if WiiFit is on a Sony or Microsoft or an apple, as long as it delivers a family friendly "exertainment".

or brain age, wiisports, whatever. couldn't care less (but only after i sell my nintendo stock, hahaha).

the Wii is an epidemic.