By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Wii will see regular 1,000,000 per month sales in U.S.

PhatLaosBoi said:
can it happen? yes. will it happen? no.

nintendo wouldn't have enough Wii's to sustain sales of 1Mil. a month in the USA. with our economy in the crisis that its in and our dollar losing value, they would rather send the systems across the pond to europe where they would make twice as much off the system than here.

The economy may just get worse, but videogames are going to prosper, even as movie and music sales decline as they already are.

Games have the potential to provide the most entertainment for your dollar, and I expect they will be transformed into the dominant type of entertainment in a slumping economy. And games like Brain Training and Wii Fit demonstrate how gaming has the potential to offer cost advantages over other industries outside the entertainment sector too.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network
Gnizmo said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:

My bad i actually meant only in NA not WW.

Hum well I would say your new prediction is rubbish as well honestly. It has been sold out for a year and a half now and selling 400-500k a month. There needs to be a substantial supply increase to meet demand, and that means more selling per month. We have yet to see exactly how big a push any software title will give the system in NA because we have never seen how much it can sell normally in NA.

So your excuse is that whenever the wii has a low sales week(like say last week) in NA,its supply constrained? and that the wii can magically sell 1mil a month in NA without major software pushing those sales!? in a falling economy mind you. You sir are delusional.

Erik Aston said:
PhatLaosBoi said:
can it happen? yes. will it happen? no.

nintendo wouldn't have enough Wii's to sustain sales of 1Mil. a month in the USA. with our economy in the crisis that its in and our dollar losing value, they would rather send the systems across the pond to europe where they would make twice as much off the system than here.

The economy may just get worse, but videogames are going to prosper, even as movie and music sales decline as they already are.

Games have the potential to provide the most entertainment for your dollar, and I expect they will be transformed into the dominant type of entertainment in a slumping economy. And games like Brain Training and Wii Fit demonstrate how gaming has the potential to offer cost advantages over other industries outside the entertainment sector too.

Exactly, my Sam Cooke to my former James Brown (Obama's here for the time being; James will be back).

I'm a prime example of your hypothesis. When I first moved out on my own the first thing I knew was that I wasn't going to have a lot of money. But I knew I knew I needed some entertainment and escapism to stay sane while I was trying to save pay.

Videogames was my answer. People conserve in tough times and stay closer to home. When you're home all the time, what is better for a entertainment resource with most return for your dollar? A cheap luxury like videogames, that's what. Which is why I always frown on Sony & Microsoft trying to raise the bar for videogame pricing. That's not what gaming is supposed to be about. The VIP treatment is the opposite of what videogames are supposed to be. Accessible and afforadable is what they should be.

Erik, I also like your agreement with my prediction from earlier in this thread. 500,000 DS's in Japan back to back easily spells 1,000,000 Wiis back to back in America. Japan is roughly half the population of America. It's a no-brainer really.

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Welcome home, John Lucas. It's nice to have the resident bold predictor back, as there's been a stifling lack of seemingly overboard estimations that turn out to be closer to the truth than the conservative bets.

We've prepared a celebratory link for your return. I think you'll find its contents most satisfying.

http://malstrom.50webs.com/

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Sky Render said:
Welcome home, John Lucas. It's nice to have the resident bold predictor back, as there's been a stifling lack of seemingly overboard estimations that turn out to be closer to the truth than the conservative bets.

We've prepared a celebratory link for your return. I think you'll find its contents most satisfying.

http://malstrom.50webs.com/

Beautiful! The return of Malstrom! Glad to see he's doing well.

Time to catch up on some of his articles. I know he's had lots to say since last I saw.

Thanks Sky Render & all who have well-wished me back. 

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Around the Network

Yep, he's back. And his articles have gained some awareness around VG Chartz now, too. The moment I first saw his articles, I thought, "John Lucas must be told about this man, if he doesn't already know about him, for nobody has ever come so close to his viewpoints as this".

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Reg said 40% of all wii's go to the US, production is going to be 2.4million so....yeap, 1 million a month sounds about right.

Welcome back JL! 

Playing : PC  AOE, DiRT 2, Runes of Magic, Wings of Prey & Planetside 2  

Wii U : Nintendoland, Super Mario U  & Fifa 2013 demo

DS : Guitar Hero : On Tour

Formerly unknown as Vengi

http://vgchartz.com/profiles/profile.php?id=2331

Has the blue ozelot bitten you, Gnizmo? No?
So can you please be a bit more polite? Danke.

The Oracle has spoken!

Make it so!

::goes out to buy 1 million Wiis::

*bleu-ocelot* said:

So your excuse is that whenever the wii has a low sales week(like say last week) in NA,its supply constrained? and that the wii can magically sell 1mil a month in NA without major software pushing those sales!? in a falling economy mind you. You sir are delusional.

I get tired of saying this line over and over, but I will try it once again. Check any pair of weeks for Wii sales in the last few months. There is a high week, and a low week in every set. The reason for that is because of shipment fluctuation. The Wii is still sold out through-out the majority of the US. Supply constrained products are going to have sales dips when there is no supply. How do you explain the extremely predictable and stable pattern of a high week, and then a low week when not all high weeks have big software hits pushing them? I am far from delusional. You are not looking at the facts.

Please explain the following graph if the Wii is not currently supply constrained: http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=America&cons2=&reg2=All&cons3=&reg3=All&start=39467&end=39579 

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229