By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - US Market...thats that then...

Rock_on_2008 said:

In both Japan and Europe/Others it will be Wii>PS3>360.

Americas it will be Wii>360>PS3. But this could change take into account PS3 exclusives for late 2008 and beyond.

Oh, right... I forgot that the 360 doesn't have any more exclusives, evar X_X

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
Around the Network

I think that's a bit early. The 360 install base is still many millions away from reaching the XBox install base level for the US.

I believe the PS3 will catch it before the end of the end of the 360's lifecycle, which Microsoft claims to last about 7 years. Assuming both companies hold onto their objectives the 360 may be on the shelves until 2012 and a slimline PS3 until 2016.

IMO it's far too early to come to any conclusions.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

thx1139 said:
Just because the 360 sales in others didnt pass the PS3 sales doesnt mean the price cut didnt do anything. Werent reports saying that sales increased over 50%.

Lets assume the same thing happens in the US. That puts the 360 selling about 300,000 in April instead of 200,000. That would be about 100,000 more than the PS3.

if it didnt pass the ps3..... then it didnt do what microsoft wanted.....

on the other hand if sony lowers the price it would sell in others it would sell 100k more then the xbox. and thats low balling it a little i think

There is just no hope for 360 beating the ps3 WW. all your price drops in the world couldnt do anything. plus the 360 had a price drop in USA along with halo 3.... theres not much better then that in US. even if it was a small one.

Dno said:
thx1139 said:
Just because the 360 sales in others didnt pass the PS3 sales doesnt mean the price cut didnt do anything. Werent reports saying that sales increased over 50%.

Lets assume the same thing happens in the US. That puts the 360 selling about 300,000 in April instead of 200,000. That would be about 100,000 more than the PS3.

on the other hand if sony lowers the price it would sell in others it would sell 100k more then the xbox. and thats low balling it a little i think

There is just no hope for 360 beating the ps3 WW. all your price drops in the world couldnt do anything. plus the 360 had a price drop in USA along with halo 3.... theres not much better then that in US. even if it was a small one.

Although Microsoft would be very pleased if a price reduction allowed the XBox 360 to outsell the PS3 in 'The Others' region, how can you be sure that was what they were really trying to accomplish with the price reduction?

I suspect that Microsoft is far more concerned with having a healthy console with a growing userbase than beating out Sony.

HappySqurriel said:
Dno said:
thx1139 said:

Although Microsoft would be very pleased if a price reduction allowed the XBox 360 to outsell the PS3 in 'The Others' region, how can you be sure that was what they were really trying to accomplish with the price reduction?

I suspect that Microsoft is far more concerned with having a healthy console with a growing userbase than beating out Sony.

Profitability is the most important thing to a company. Making big losses  just to outsell your rival would be ridiculous.

Around the Network

@Dno

Thats a load of Bull. MS is happy to be holding serve in Europe. So your equating a price drop of $20(Core/Arcade), $50(Premium), and $30(Elite) to the $200 that the readily available PS3 got. Also by the way the 360 price drop was more than a month before Halo 3.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

The only way PS3 overtakes 360 in North America is if the PS3 keeps going after MS switches to the NeXtBox.

It's just not going to happen at this point. It needs to catch up almost 6.8 million units, and it's only SOLD 4.9 million or whatever. It would need to sell 150% of its sales to date without 360 selling ANY more units. And how often has it outsold the 360 for a month? Twice? And not by that much?

Sony fanboys are dreaming.

Now worldwide is obviously a totally different story. But there's no way it's going to happen in the U.S. Xbox has become too strong a brand identity in North America for that to happen.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

@ all of you....

Didnt microsft say FROM THE START that they are out to be number 1.... isnt that microsoft comany itself?

they havent made a DIME of the xbox in 6 years and you think not being number 1 is on their minds... fools.

To sony and nintendo what you all said is true because they would go out of bussiness. but microsoft will lose money for years to be number 1 and be profitable as they DID with the xbox bussiness.

Dont get me wrong do they want to make money? sure but they have great sales on sony in 1 region and thats the place they DID not lower the price to wii levels. in japan they have and "others" they have. and they did that to keep sony from KILLING them.

they released a year early and lost billions on RROD to keep sony from KILLING THEM.

they paid rockstar 50 million to keep GTA content off ps3 so sony would not KILL them.

Now since nintedo is number one they are making a wiimote killer because nintendo is KILLING them

they are all making games for the casual player now (viva anyone?) to stop nintendo from KILLING them.

Every comany wants number one and thats what they all are going for. if you are telling me microsoft is happy with the soon to be 3rd place they are in and they are happy with sales of almost the same with a price drop you are fools.

http://next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10518&Itemid=2

xbox rep: From our standpoint, we feel good about having now a second month in a row where we outsold the PS3. Of the 18 months that they've been in the market, we've outsold them 16 out of the 18 months.

xbox rep:"What you're finding is that there are two platforms that are performing very well, while the PS3 really seems like it's getting squeezed out.

site rep: "It was quite close though. The difference was 900 or 1,000 units.

xbox rep:Very close last month, but it's still good to be the one on top.

site rep: You'll take it.

Dno says: thats what they really care about being on top.......

How about the sound of a $200 XBox 360 in US?