By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official NPD April 2008 Thread

fkusumot said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
Brawl, February NPD, March NPD, Mario Kart, Nintendo Channel, WiiWare launch...

Oh shit, GTA4 co-co-co-combo breaker!

No wait, Nintendo wasn't finished, here comes April NPD! Slam!

PS360 is down!

FINISH HIM!!!

WII FITALITY.

You could of just said "next-gen had a good run". It figures now's the time you would pick to jump on the Wii Fit bandwagon.

What the hell?  This again?  I pre-ordered Wii Fit right after ioi added the Amazon widget, 'cuz I figured I could throw VGC a few bucks since the game's so expensive.  I was gonna buy it anyway.  Now it's the only game I've ever pre-ordered.  I've been down with Wii Fit since I knew it had a balance marble game.  I have to play every balance game there is.  I have Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble and Kororinpa, the works.  And I like to stay fit.  WHY CAN'T YOU LEAVE ME ALONE!!!  GET OUT OF MY HEAD!  I ALREADY SHOWED YOU MY UNDERWEAR!

Around the Network

So PS3 has pretty much lost the console war in the US?

RAZurrection said:

why are you so obssesed with PS3?every single post in your history is related to fall of PS3.Why can't you get PS3 out of your head?

OT:I remember SCEA announced a hardware sales spike within the 48 hours launch of GTAIV  comapred to the week before and it was approved by Gamestop(I ll post the article).But NPD says they actually declined.That's the part that doesnot make sense.

makingmusic476 said:
The ps3/360 numbers make no sense whatsoever. I wasn't expecting hardware numbers to rise much with GTAIV, but for them to go DOWN? Wtf? And in GTA's biggest territory? European numbers spiked considerably with GTAIV, according to VGChartz and more "official" sources (ChartTrack), so why would the opposite happen in the US?

ioi's numbers seem much more accurate than NPD's in this instance, and I can't help but think that NPD screwed something up here.

My thought's exactly.

Is it possible NPD has not included GTA bundles? so people buying the hardware bundle with GTA were not counted at all (usually NPD would not count it as a software sale but it should still be hardware)

I saw something about the Canadian numbers somewhere which had the soaftware seperated into 4 parts for GTAIV, with the normal version (for each console) and the special edition (for each console) 

SpartanFX said:
RAZurrection said:

why are you so obssesed with PS3?every single post in your history is related to fall of PS3.Why can't you get PS3 out of your head?

OT:I remember SCEA announced a hardware sales spike within the 48 hours launch of GTAIV comapred to the week before and it was approved by Gamestop(I ll post the article).But NPD says they actually declined.That's the part that doesnot make sense.

Well it depends on the harware boost and on what the week before was like, the problem with NPD is we don't see weekly breakdowns.

but then even in the NPD report didn't it say they dn't expect this and they think a boost might come in May, which makes me think even in their weekly numbers they didn't have a significant boost.

Around the Network
libellule said:
strange ...
the problem is not Wii sales killing Xbox360+PS3
the problem is Wii sales killing Xbox360+PS3 by a so large marge the month of GTA4 release !!!

Even if we consider many people already bought a PS360, it was obvious GTA4 release would increase the sales, at least a bit !!
GTA4 release ==> - 10% weekly compared to March, that makes no sense ...
(see TheSource's post)

I can't imagine what will be May sales datas with Wiifit on the way.

yeah- that was surprising

i can't wait until the May sales come out either - Then we will see the power of Wii Fit 

That's so strange.

Sales go down on the biggest game release ever?

I mean, it's NPD, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but I would just like an explanation as to why sales went down (Avg. Weekly) when Gamestop reported sales rising significantly for PS360, and the general consensus was a rise in sales across them both.

montrealsoon said:
tk1797 said:
I wish people wouldn't troll or brag so much over nintendo winning. I mean there just numbers right. I loved the gamecube even if it didnt sell the most, why? because the games kicked ass and im sure the same thing will happen with the 360 and ps3. They might not be first but im sure quality games will come out for them because of first party support.

But this time there's this HARDCORE vs. CASUAL battle going on, and somehow I'm a traitor!!! I'm a traitor because I prefer the Wii for games and gameplay and I'm not "a casual." Hahahaha.

There's no "HARDCORE vs. CASUAL battle going on". There is an expanding market and some nerds crying about it, while the vast majority couldn't care less.

Shhh, I was speaking their language!

I now must wear DEPENDS after reading your response!!!   Thanks!  {smiley}

@TGoRB.

Do you have Mercury Meltdown?

If those numbers are right Nintendo is about to turn the US into a Japan situation. They will lead way ahead while MS and Sony fight for scraps.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo