By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official NPD April 2008 Thread

FishyJoe said:
I posted this in the spin thread, but I'll repeat it here.

I think if NPD were grossly in error, we would see that reflected in the corporate spin. I don't think they would say it like that, but we would hear something like:

The launch of GTAIV kicks off an incredible month of PS3/X360 sales for May.

However, there is no such statement which leads me to believe their internal data is consistent with NPD. Sony hints at better sales, but it's kind of buried.

There is not even the slightest remark that contradicts the NPD results in any way. Contractually they are obligated not to criticize, but there are many ways to say sales were better than reported without breaching any contracts.

Contractually they can't criticize if the numbers are way off?  What the hell kinda contract is that? 

Around the Network
ckmlb said:
Well this pretty much confirms there won't be a big leap from this gen to the next and all 3 consoles will be cheaply priced casual friendly wagglefests.

Time to move to PC gaming after this generation.

I sincerely hope you're wrong because that would mean that MS and Sony were doing exactly the kind of reactive, non-creative thinking that has hurt them this generation. Instead they need to come up with something innovative that will attract their loyal hardcore AND attract enough new gamers to make them successful. Disruption is a game they can also play. They also need to be realistic and build systems that are actually profitable, because the lack of a profitable system is going to seriously limit their ability to competitively respond. 

On the brighter side of the news, you will find plenty of new high quality games coming out for the Wii in the not too distant future because developers will smell blood. With this kind of momentum and with the size of the future Wii market, trust me, Nintendo can walk into just about any studio and get any kind of game they want. And support for third party will not be such a problem because the customer base is so much larger and they didn't all come for Mario.  

MS and Sony treated Nintendo exactly like the American car industry treated the first Japanese imports. These rice burners weren’t serious real cars so they didn’t worry about them. They should have because those funny tiny little cars were very reliable at a time when Detroit was thinking more about how cars looked rather than how they worked. But the funny little cars moved rapidly up market and evolved into Acura, Lexus and Infinity and those are serious real cars.Nintendo will now start moving up in a similar way. Eventually, as hard as this will be for you to accept, the Wii or its direct descendant will become the next gaming system for the next generation of hard core gamers.

strange ...
the problem is not Wii sales killing Xbox360+PS3
the problem is Wii sales killing Xbox360+PS3 by a so large marge the month of GTA4 release !!!

Even if we consider many people already bought a PS360, it was obvious GTA4 release would increase the sales, at least a bit !!
GTA4 release ==> - 10% weekly compared to March, that makes no sense ...
(see TheSource's post)

I can't imagine what will be May sales datas with Wiifit on the way.

Time to Work !

Dissapointing 360 and PS3 figures considering the launch of GTA IV and still going very much head to head. Refreshing Wii sales, interesting.

Wii sales bigger than PS3, 360 and even PSP, PS2 sales all combined!

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

BKK2 said:
Software with LTDs:

01 Grand Theft Auto IV (Xbox 360) 1,850,000 (1,850,000)
02 Mario Kart (Wii) 1,120,000 (1,120,000)
03 Gran Theft Auto IV (PS3) 1,000,000 ( 1,000,000)
04 Wii Play (Wii) 360,000 (5,471,000)
05 Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii) 326,000 (3,026,000)
06 Gran Turismo 5: Prologue (PS3) 224,000 (224,000)
07 Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Darkness (DS) 202,000 (202,000)
08 Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time (DS) 202,000 (202,000)
09 Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (Wii) 152,000 (2,136,100)
10 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Xbox 360) 141,000 (4,040,500)
NR Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (Xbox 360) 103,500 (855,800)
NR God of War: Chains of Olympus (PSP) 64,000 (400,500)
NR The World Ends With You (DS) 43,000 (43,000)
NR Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword (DS) 23,700

Total Tracked Software Units 4,754,200
Total Software Sales $654.7M

So "The World Ends With You" only did 43k according to NPD. Makes sense (VGC has it at 111k for the same period). Japanese centered titles usually perform poorly in the USA, and that one is really heavily japanese centered. Oh well, I'm sure Square-Enix gets a good profit already with such sales, so that's not much a problem.

The two version of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon sold the exact same amount. Amusing. Usually, there's always one that performs better than the other. 

For the two HD consoles, I guess they're reaching a saturation point ? Now, that's just one month, just can't get much out of it.

Around the Network

Brawl, February NPD, March NPD, Mario Kart, Nintendo Channel, WiiWare launch...

Oh shit, GTA4 co-co-co-combo breaker!

No wait, Nintendo wasn't finished, here comes April NPD!  Slam!

PS360 is down!

FINISH HIM!!!

WII FITALITY.

The Ghost of RubangB said:

No wait, Nintendo wasn't finished, here comes April NPD! Slam!

PS360 is down!

FINISH HIM!!!

WII FITALITY.

You could of just said "next-gen had a good run". It figures now's the time you would pick to jump on the Wii Fit bandwagon.

Dolla Dolla said:
My apologies, celine. I looked for some good No More Hero footage to futz around with, but, alas, I did not find any ample for Gif-age.

You'll have to make due with this ...

Looks this from 35 seconds to 46 seconds. He strangely doesn't say "This is the end " but you could put it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYvW-LyqYRY 

Could you try to make a GIF from this vid for next NPD. May should be even more epic with WiiFit  

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

No wait, Nintendo wasn't finished, here comes April NPD! Slam!

PS360 is down!

FINISH HIM!!!

WII FITALITY.

You mean this:

(Dolla this with an editing would be great

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

No wait, Nintendo wasn't finished, here comes April NPD!  Slam!

PS360 is down!

FINISH HIM!!!

WII FITALITY.

And adding injury to insult, you could show them your underwear again, lol.

OT: Like everyone else, I'm surprised by these numbers. What else can I say? Others have already said everything that needs to be said (the image Donwii posted is rather apt at showing the point.........and made me chuckle a bit, I'll admit). This can only mean good news for me, as a wii owner, from this point on (in terms of 3rd party shifts in focus).