By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Banjo Kazooie - Nuts and Bolts Trailer!!!!!!!!

Kasz216 said:
Onyxmeth said:
Kasz216 said:
Onyxmeth said:
johnsobas said:
Onyxmeth said:

Here's my point Ben, and I'll use Rare as an example to keep it in the family:

This game was created in 1983:

It was a classic and the first masterpiece from a man that would become a living legend in gaming.

Now this is how Rareware butchered the series 11 years later(Note the similiar time difference):

I'm sure there were plenty of people that were WTFing when they saw a magazine and realized a precious gem like Donkey Kong that they held dear to their heart was going to turn into some Mario-like game. Now how did that turn out again? For the better, huh?

When you're skipping two console generations, you can't just slap a prettier coat of paint on an oldie but goody and call it a day even though that's all we want. Rare, for better or worse have always been innovators and have thought outside the box numerous times. I trust they can reinvent the platformer for the better, because Banjo is as loved by them as it is by you guys, and if they feel this is the best way to take the series I'll stick with it. They turned something else from a masterpiece to a completely different masterpiece and I don't think anyone regrets that decision nowadays.

You don't seriously think this is a good comparison do you? The technical limitations in the first donkey kong were insane. BK on 360 could basically be made on N64 with downgraded graphics. If you think they could have made a game that even slightly resembles Donkey Kong Country on the old arcade machine you are out of your mind. People expected much much more complex games on SNES then they did when donkey kong came out.

That's not the point. First of all, I doubt the new Banjo could be played on the N64. The worlds are massive, the customization options are supposed to be huge and there was no online back then. Better hardware doesn't just mean pretty graphics. There are other elements, like physics, the N64 couldn't produce that will be center stage in this game.

Secondly, it isn't about SNES handling more complex games. They changed the core of Donkey Kong itself. Do you remember what the point of Donkey Kong even was? You're not playing that big ape up top. He's the villain, and you're the Jump Man. There's no second monkey, there's no princess to save, etc. The SNES game had none of the core of what made Donkey Kong what it was originally. It was completely changed. My point was, I'm sure there were people that would have loved an updated look to the core gameplay and not turn it into a Mario platformer, but Rare made wise choices and the series was rejuvenated because of them.

One your missing a bunch of Donkey Kong games in between. Donkey Kong Jr. for example. Where you aren't jumpan. You are Diddy Kong's predecessor. Donkey Kong 3.

Also a traditional remake was released the same year as DK Country... it was GREATLY expnaded from the original concept. I know what your thinking... it's a remake! But it's a remake that went from 4 stages to 101!

So even in your example that has some flaws.... you were completely wrong. Anyone missing the old DK game had a game that more then made up for the differences in DK Country.

I'm only as wrong as those that decided there hasn't been a Banjo game in 10 years since as I recall a GBA platformer was released in 2003, making it five years and a racing game was released in like 2006, which you may count or don't towards this argument. I figured we were only considering the releases that mattered through cherry picking. I suppose if a Banjo game does show up on the DS in the future everyone here will forgive this game's existence right? Hmmm... doubtful.

Frankly, it's of little concern to me. Just another game others will blindly hate and not play while I can enjoy it to it's fullest. Disolitude I'll see you online when this bad boy gets released. My propeller copter with side springs will so wreak whatever contraption you cook up.

The Handheld Banjo game was 2-D.

Totally different from the 3-D Banjo games. So... your comparison fails again. It was also badly recieved for not being like the 64 Banjo games.

So your comparison still isn't valid.

It's a terrible comparison really.  The difference between gaming in the mid 80s to the mid 90s is absolutely massive.  Most games in the mid 80s you just did the same thing over and over and all the screens usually looked the same.  The difference between donkey kong and DKC is absolutey massive in 10 years time.  

Things are different these days, games aren't necessarily getting more complex, and people don't feel that all games need to become more complex.  The perfect examples is Mario 64 and Mario Galaxy, both were met with excellent reviews and both considered some of the best games of our time.  The complexity difference on these 2 games is quite minimal.  By complexity i'm talking about gameplay, Nintendo is still able to use the same formula from 11 years ago and its still fresh.  If you released a DK game in the vein of the original in 1995 and just added some new graphics, and levels it would have been seen as too simple for the time.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

Totally different from the 3-D Banjo games. So... your comparison fails again. It was also badly recieved for not being like the 64 Banjo games.

You can continue to nitpick every last detail of it if you'd like because I'm sure there are even more differences between the two, like how one instance is in the 80s and 90s while the other is in the 90s and 00s. Look, my comparison fails again. In fact there's only 10 letters in Donkey Kong and 12 in Banjo Kazooie, and here my comparison fails again. I guess I couldn't create the wow-inducing mirror image side by side comparison all naysayers were hoping for to bring them back to the fold. Sorry about that.

You're all acting like this game is not within it's original genre. It's still a platformer and should be able to head into a new direction if that's where the developers' passion is taking it. I really hope every dissappointed person here is still dissappointed and not getting this come November, because i'd really hate to hear the whining over multiplayer too.

Here's my Miyamoto quote again for those that missed it the first time:

“We don't pay a whole lot of attention to the Internet until people have played the game - then we pay a lot of attention to whether people liked it. We read through it and see it, but we don't take it into consideration. ... [The Internet] is not going to dictate the direction of where the game goes.”

I swear that man has a quote for everything. 

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

HappySqurriel said:

I think there is an odd assumption going on hear ... It seems that people are assuming that if you're disappointed that this isn't a straight up Banjo Kazooie game then you obviously will never play this game; this simply isn't true, if the game turns out well I may buy it.

I would personally like to see another Donkey Kong platformer from Nintendo (I think it would work well as a Crash-Bandicoot/Mario Hybrid) and I would be very disappointed if Nintendo announced that they were making a new Donkey Kong game only to find out it was a new game based on the Donkey Kong franchise; I wouldn't necessarily hate the new game, but I would still be disappointed.

You mean like?

I'm fairly certain Nintendo has never suggested any of these were meant to be continuations of the Rare made Donkey Kong Platformers, probably why none of them have the word "Country" in the title which was used originally to different them from Rare's creation from the orginal Donkey Kong, which was really already continued in the form of the Mario Bros series. Yet I've seen people express disappointment with Nintendo for not attempting to continue their legacy and upset they simply reuse the same characters in different projects.

I think it's funny some people want act a lot of other people are disappointed by this because of some sort of console fanboy agenda. It it really hard to imagine that fans of a certain game after being strung along for such a long period of time about the series possible revival find the end product may be fundamentally different than series they originally fell in love with to be upsetting?

Sure a lot of them may be overreacting and not seeing the potential in this new title. But they didn't know it was going to be a new title, they thought it was going to be the next step in the same series. I can't help think this wouldn't have happened if Rare and just said the title a good while back. Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts lets you know it's something different.

mario fans have their revenge, over the exploding mario in BK

http://gonintendo.com/?p=42969

Onyxmeth said:
Kasz216 said:

You can continue to nitpick every last detail of it if you'd like because I'm sure there are even more differences between the two, like how one instance is in the 80s and 90s while the other is in the 90s and 00s. Look, my comparison fails again. In fact there's only 10 letters in Donkey Kong and 12 in Banjo Kazooie, and here my comparison fails again. I guess I couldn't create the wow-inducing mirror image side by side comparison all naysayers were hoping for to bring them back to the fold. Sorry about that.

You're all acting like this game is not within it's original genre. It's still a platformer and should be able to head into a new direction if that's where the developers' passion is taking it. I really hope every dissappointed person here is still dissappointed and not getting this come November, because i'd really hate to hear the whining over multiplayer too.

Here's my Miyamoto quote again for those that missed it the first time:

“We don't pay a whole lot of attention to the Internet until people have played the game - then we pay a lot of attention to whether people liked it. We read through it and see it, but we don't take it into consideration. ... [The Internet] is not going to dictate the direction of where the game goes.”

I swear that man has a quote for everything.

The point was it had been 10 years since a classic Banjo platformer... and rare led people to believe they were going to have another banjo platformer just like the others with a few tweaks... for like over a year now it seems.

Now they reveal a traielr that's 98% vehciles, and people find it amazing that people who liked the old games who haven't played a Banjo Platformer in years are upset.

I'd be upset too if I didn't think the first to Banjo games sucked.

Around the Network

I think the defenders are missing the point. It's not that this is going to be a bad game, it's not that a twisted metal/GTA/mariokart game is a bad idea or a bad thing. It's that after anticipating a new Banjo-Kazooie game for so long, after looking back and remember why it was a great franchise to begin with, they did this. You could take Banjo out of this and lose nothing, it's not a Banjo-kazooie game.

That is the key line here. This is not a Banjo-Kazooie game. This is a completely different game that they just happen to slap Banjo's face on because they had him somewhere in the stock room in the basement and needed a character to put on their new kart combat game. People wanted a new Banjo-kazooie game, instead they got a new game that has banjo-kazooie in it.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

lol, if this was on the wii, they would stop their bitching.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

I could care less what it's on, I was going to get it regardless. Some things aren't political, they're just bad.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Strategyking92 said:

That's an odd assumption ... Someone doesn't remember the reaction The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker received when it was first announced.

Strategyking92 said:

If you've got something worthwhile to add, please do.

But re-read the thread. How many complaints were about it being on 360 and not on PS3 or Wii? We're complaining about the game, not what system it's on. If you can't handle that, you need to sit in the corner.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )