By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Killzone 1 sales number

sieanr said:
Blue3 said:
sieanr said:
The reason its so hyped is because of Sony. CG trailer plus fanboy dreams leads to high expectations for a mediocre franchise. And dot give me this PSP Killzone is "great" crap, its reviews were average and a completely different type of game.

graphics and art direction in the game very good, its the technical issues that ruined it.

PSP killzoze shows Guerila can make a good game, the reviews were actually pretty damn good. 9 from ign is not average.

I wasnt aware people took IGNs reviews seriously. It has a 79.7% at gamerankings. Just for the record Killzone PS2 had 73.2%, so it did improve, but not enough to justify the hype for 3.

The game did have excellent art direction, but is that really enough to save a developer who cant impliment jumping in an FPS? Please refrain from this "technical limitation" bullshit yet plenty of developers made amazing games within the confines of the PS2. Perhaps the developer just cant make a game to go along with their vision. And if they overshot things on the PS2, whos to say they wont do the same on the PS3?

Like I said, this is all sony generated hype - what other game sees this much excitment when its only had a fake CGI trailer released?

Hey here's an idea why don't you stop being a fanboy. killzone on the ps2 was hampered by technical limitations and with the ps3 they won't have that problem anymore. Yes many developers made good games for the ps2 but how many developers made tripple AAA fps games for the ps2, the answer is none. The hype is deserved unlike yet another mario party or mario strikers game that has yet again scored poorly but will still sell over a million each thanks to fanboys and the same goes for the xbox360 with whatever 'it' game of the month comes out like lost planet, saints row and perfect dark zero, the fanboys flock to it to get their achievements

Around the Network

IMO Timesplitters 2 was AAA, and correct me if I'm wrong - that was on PS2. And you could always put Ratchet and Clank in first person mode ;)

The developers actually said it [Killzone] sold a million copies a few times over.
Could be 3 million shipped actually.

It's also Polands best selling all-time game on any console.

And it's on Sony's platnium selling list in Europe.

Yeah, Sonys platinum list means over 700k units in the first 9 months. So that means it definatly got over 700k units in Europe And with 750k in the US, brings it to around 1.45 million. Plus the fact that it would have actually sold more when it went platinum, plus all the other (but smaller) regions. I'd say around 1.7 million sold.

Does Killzone really suck?

Around the Network

It's mediocre. It does have a some good levels but most aren't that great. Multiplayers fun though

I don't know... I heard other wise... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R98qC0fd_1w

I'd call 7/10 mediocre

7-7.9 is definitely descent. But, not great. 8-10 is great!

blowfish said:
sieanr said:
Blue3 said:
sieanr said:
The reason its so hyped is because of Sony. CG trailer plus fanboy dreams leads to high expectations for a mediocre franchise. And dot give me this PSP Killzone is "great" crap, its reviews were average and a completely different type of game.

graphics and art direction in the game very good, its the technical issues that ruined it.

PSP killzoze shows Guerila can make a good game, the reviews were actually pretty damn good. 9 from ign is not average.

I wasnt aware people took IGNs reviews seriously. It has a 79.7% at gamerankings. Just for the record Killzone PS2 had 73.2%, so it did improve, but not enough to justify the hype for 3.

The game did have excellent art direction, but is that really enough to save a developer who cant impliment jumping in an FPS? Please refrain from this "technical limitation" bullshit yet plenty of developers made amazing games within the confines of the PS2. Perhaps the developer just cant make a game to go along with their vision. And if they overshot things on the PS2, whos to say they wont do the same on the PS3?

Like I said, this is all sony generated hype - what other game sees this much excitment when its only had a fake CGI trailer released?

Hey here's an idea why don't you stop being a fanboy. killzone on the ps2 was hampered by technical limitations and with the ps3 they won't have that problem anymore. Yes many developers made good games for the ps2 but how many developers made tripple AAA fps games for the ps2, the answer is none. The hype is deserved unlike yet another mario party or mario strikers game that has yet again scored poorly but will still sell over a million each thanks to fanboys and the same goes for the xbox360 with whatever 'it' game of the month comes out like lost planet, saints row and perfect dark zero, the fanboys flock to it to get their achievements

Actually, I hated PDZ, partially because the aiming felt "wrong" - something that game shares with Killzone.

Overall, the game wasnt hampered by technical limitations as much as it was just broken. Someone mentioned Timesplitters, which was an excellent FPS on the PS2, and Red Faction was fairly good as well. Neither of these games had issues with things as basic as AI, LOD or frequent crashing. Saying the PS2 wasnt powerful enough isnt an excuse when the team mate AI is almost non-existant, when the game uses low detail models when the player is a few feet away, and glitches galore. When I played through the game, most of these issues screamed "rush job" more than anything else, and I think this is very likly given that Sony wanted a "Halo Killer" to meet H2 and Half Life 2. Now, given that most of these problems were likly due to time constraints (since similar titles lacked these issues) then what is there to prevent Killzone 3 from having similar problems because its going to be realeased to tackle Halo 3.

By this same logic, we can say Superman 64 would have been great if not for the lowly N64 hardware. Of course, that game had plenty of design issues, just like Killzone. I'd say the games real issue was how generic it is in general, art design not withstanding. There was practically no variety to any of the levels, just very basic "shoot the Helghast, then move on". The level design compounded this problem due to the fact that there was rarely more than one way to tackle a group of soilders. More or less a corridor shooter like Doom 3, except it felt like you were on rails since it had context sensitive bullshit instead of jumping. But what really stuck out how incredibly slow the game was, although this may have been because I was playing Half-Life 2 at the same time. Another comparison is how the game really never sucked me in or did anything to make me want to come back to it asap, whereas this is something HL2 did in exceptionally well.

If you dont believe me when I say the gameplay wasnt anything special, then just read some more professional reviews. Most of them lambast the game for the same problems I raised here.

Now, you may say I'm a "fanboy", but not really. I rented the game late November of '04 and wasnt impressed in the least. Furthermore, many of these issues were also prevenlant in the Demo I played of Liberation. Seeing a developer resort to key card hunts, something even the RE series has gotten past, doesnt inspire confidence in their ability to craft an interesting game. Since they now have two games under their belts, I think its safe to say that their chances of breaking away from uninspired gameplay with KZ3 isnt very good.

The thing is, I own a PS3 and would like Killzone to be good. RFoM has fairly good mp, but I don't think its going to hold my interst for much longer and I'd like to see KZ3 have a non glitch/exploit laden online mode. However, given the developers track record, Id say almost none of this hype is warranted.

Oh well, atleast there is Haze - but that may be coming to PC.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away"