By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Killzone 1 sales number

mrstickball said:
I would assume it's hit around 1.5m w/w, or slightly more, and atleast shipped the 2m copies, or near it. However, I don't understand why KZ2 is getting hyped so much, as the first one recieved under 80% reviews from Gamerankings.com Its not like its Fallout , or Forza which were hyped due to cult status (or poor sales atleast)

Haa! People like you crack me up. You say you don't understand why KZ2 is hyped and why KZ actually has a sequel because it got some low ratings but it seems it's hard for guys like yourself to understand that decisions to continue IPs aren't based on reviews, they are based on sales. Last gen a game with great developmental backing would be deemed worthy of a sequel if it sold at least a quater of a million copies (250,000). Now obviously, if a game sells in the million mark then that's really a no brainer for a sequel and if you're going to bring out a part 2 then you're going to market it (hype).

The thing is people love to dog the game and they've probably not played it. They jsut say nonsense like "but teh reviews, teh reviews" but the reviews were crap. If you listen to these guys one would believe KZ was so bad that it only sold 1,000 copies which is just false. Most people ignored the ratings and thought they were way off and decided for themselves what's a great gaming experience.

Anyway even if KZ was truly a 7.9 kind of game then that isn't even mediocre as a lot of people love to call it. A 5.2 is mediocre, a 7.3 is good, 7.9 is rated the high end of good so why hate on the game. If KZ wasn't your thing why would you even care about it getting a sequel anyway? I mean what's it to you?

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
I doubt Killzone actually SOLD 2m. Shipped? Probably. As far as I knew, Killzone did around 750k in the US.

Well you may not like it but it did sell roughly 2 mill world wide. Anyone who's a fan of the game knows this as we love the game and follow it's happenings.

Yeah, a 7.9 is a good score when the major game reviewers scores look like this Hm, IGNs most common score is an 8, and theres almost as many 6s as 9s....

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

So it's safe to say that the chart on this site is not complete? Will it ever be updated?

sieanr said:
Yeah, a 7.9 is a good score when the major game reviewers scores look like this Hm, IGNs most common score is an 8, and theres almost as many 6s as 9s....

But still, who is to say that the next installment of Killzone won't be better? Of course, who is to say that it will be better?

Right now, all we got is a trailer from 2 years ago, and all this specualtion is sort of like a blind man, walking into a dark room, looking for a black cat.

Around the Network
a.l.e.x59 said:
Does Killzone really suck?

Hmm not really suck but it was not great in my opinion. The idea was there but they could not finish it like they
want.

Poseidon said: Right now, all we got is a trailer from 2 years ago, and all this specualtion is sort of like a blind man, walking into a dark room, looking for a black cat.

And that was my point originally. We have just the CG trailer and the developers track record, neither of which justifies the hype.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Yeah, it's amazing all this talk about it being a Halo 3 killer and nobody has even played the game LOL.

sieanr said:
Poseidon said: Right now, all we got is a trailer from 2 years ago, and all this specualtion is sort of like a blind man, walking into a dark room, looking for a black cat.

And that was my point originally. We have just the CG trailer and the developers track record, neither of which justifies the hype.

But like I said before, Guerilla Games was still independent when they made Killzone. Also, is it fair to judge a PSP third-person game to a PS3 FPS game?

Poseidon said:
sieanr said:

But like I said before, Guerilla Games was still independent when they made Killzone. Also, is it fair to judge a PSP third-person game to a PS3 FPS game?

And what I'm saying is the only way we can get a handle for what 3 will be like is to look at their past games. Killzone, Shellshock 'Nam and Liberation were all criticized for having linear level design, uninspired gameplay and wonky aiming. I did say that they are different types of games, however, when a developer has a history of these problems across the board it should be taken into account - especially when this is all we have to go on.

What I was originally getting at is all this hype for Killzone is, more or less, baseless. Then some people tried to contend that Killzone would have been great if not for its plethora of technical issues, and thats just not true.