By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple Looking At Game Console Business

Maybe next generation, its a little too late now.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

Around the Network
supermario128 said:

I am not so sure. There is nothing "next gen" about the Wii. Everything that makes the Wii the huge success it is, is based on design, not technology (the Wii could have come out 5 years ago from a technical perspective). if the console industry moves that direction, there doesn't really need to be this generation designation anymore.

Anybody stop to think it would be any good because Apple has pulled a suprise or two off before.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

TheRealMafoo said:
supermario128 said:

I am not so sure. There is nothing "next gen" about the Wii. Everything that makes the Wii the huge success it is, is based on design, not technology (the Wii could have come out 5 years ago from a technical perspective). if the console industry moves that direction, there doesn't really need to be this generation designation anymore.

The technology itself is a non factor.   It's the time frame.   You cannot show up this late to the party and expect to rock any boats.   3rd party publishers are already planned up for the next 2 - 3 years.   Retailers have already a set amount of shelf space.  Market inertia is established. 

To sum up, you can't catch a bullet train while already in motion without killing yourself.

I agree with the others that claim it will be a set top box extension of iPod/iTunes, etc....  Gaming via a Wii-like device will be used for online casual games such as those from Miniclip. 

The Wii-like remote will work like twisting the remote to turn the volume up or change tracks.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

and there we go again the real mafoo... What I hate the most about macs is the people that says there are no problems with them (its a sell point in my campus' mac distributor store) when in reality they just lock up when given a difficult task, the main difference with windows, is that in windows you just shut the program off and continue working and in mac it just dies, Force quit doesnt work as it shouldi have to phisically power off the machine pressing the button for 5 seconds, it gets annoying after the third time you do that in a work session. You could argue that the macs I use are two years old, but then again you said that your 2 years old one works like new... experience tells me other wise.

I dont have a problem with people liking macs, its just the fact that they zealously try to convince you of their ways that annoys me, im fine using my pc for photoshop, illustrator, flash and after effects and it costed me half of the price of a comparable hardware macbook

In the end its about opinion im of the opinion that macs dont work for me, and you are of the opinion that they do for you.

congratulations

anyway, the safari thing is not opinion haha i want to be able to decide where to put my files every time... not the desktop or a user defined downloads folder, thats why i use firefox for mac, because it actually lets me decide where to store files.

by the way, im not a vista or xp fanboy, I just use my computer to do my daily shores and it works just fine for me.

Around the Network

Because everyone loved the Pippin. Wait, you never heard of that? It's absolutely the worst console ever, I kid you not, I'd rather play Virtual Boy. That thing sucks. Apple, go back to making the new Touch screen phone with a keypad that is also the the thinnest thing ever.

cebrian said:
What I hate the most about macs is the people that says there are no problems with them

I never said there was no problem with them. I said that having issue with them is less common then having issues with xp/vista.

Nothing is perfect. If you poll 10 people and ask if they have had more problems on a Mac or PC (of people who regularly use both), 9 out of 10 people will say they have had more problems with the PC. You are the 1 in 10 that have had an a less common experience. 

For example. the PS3 breaks, it just breaks FAR less then the 360. I am sure there is someone out there who has both a PS3 and a 360, and has had there PS3 break while there 360 has not. For them, the 360 was more reliable. But if they came here and told everyone "PS3's are less reliable because mine broke and I have had no issues with my 360", that person and I would be having the same conversion ;) 

You know what? there is nothing I say that will change your mind and I respect that, I 'll just throw in a fact for good measure the majority of the market is a pc user (something along the lines of 90%) and obviosly the guys who have traversed to the world of mac are now of the opinions that macs are better (it would be stupid of them to think otherwise and still change). A PC user that is fine with his/her computer will tell you PCs are better if not for other reason that its those they know how to use.

So for that 90% that is yet to "go mac" PC is the better choice, and dont tell me that its because they don't know better, because macs are pretty widely known now and people can make a decision. Price is also a factor, until they stop selling overpriced PoS computers, I'm not buying.

I think the ratio is more like 98% pc vs 2% mac in less developed countries like mine... can you spell overpriced?

It wouldn't suprise me if Apple did enter the console war as right now Nintendo have the casual audience all to themselves and that must be eating away at apple, after all make marketable, user friendly, innofensive yet highly desirable stuff that people seem to want to throw money at is what they do.

If they offered some kind of exclusve Ipod, Iphone connectivity - perhaps like the DS demo station but where games coupld be ported over in full and played on the go, a safari browser so the advantages SSBB, Majestico etc are beginning to use the browser for could also be implemented on that, similar control methods and a few third parties on board for launch they may take a bite of that market.

Didnt they try to enter the biz last time with the Apple Pippin? IMO its not a good idea for more than 2-3 consoles to enter.

Remember the the 2nd gen? all perished

3rd gen Atari 7800, NES, Master System, and the Epoch Cassette Vision
guess which two survived?

Again with the 4th gen with the NES, PCEngine, Genesis, NeoGeo
you know who died.

5th gen N64, PS1 only lasted and this is when Sega started struggling, and the other consoles like the 3DO didnt stand a chance.

5th gen Sega met their demise The Phantom died a stillbirth (sort of) the xbox could have died if it wasnt for MS big wallet and the CG-although sold significantly less still made a profit. PS2 obviously soard to success.