By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple Looking At Game Console Business

Please no..................3 consoles is enough, but adding 4th one is ridiculous...

Brawl FC: 2106-1814-5245

Around the Network

Rather reminds me of the mid-90s, when everybody thought they could get into console making thanks to the CD-ROM format's emergence. The number of CD-based consoles that failed between 1992 and 2000 was a ridiculous count. 3DO, CD32, Jaguar, LaserActive, Pippin, PC-FX, Saturn, CDTV, CD-i... And then there's the failed CD add-ons for cart-based consoles, like Sega CD and PC Engine CD. The most successful of the CD-based systems above (Saturn) still barely survived compared to its main two competitors, the Sony PlayStation and the Nintendo 64.  Ultimately, only one CD-based console stood the market test, that being the aforementioned PlayStation.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

This is not going to be a traditional console. Apple is smarter than to try to dive into the billion dollar loss industry by trying to compete with an established Nintendo, MS, and Sony head-on.

Like Mafoo said, expect some kind of iPod/iPhone/AppleTV+gaming setup.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Rather than building a console which also does media content distribution, like MS and Sony, Apple will go with a media center that also does games.

With iTunes positioned to deliver downloadable HD movies with a simultaneous release to disc media, there will be a push to sell a redesigned Apple TV with a wiimote knock-off to interface with the device (plans for a wiimote clone were shown on GoNintendo a couple days ago). If you have a computer with a cool interface and a network connection, why not sell games on it?

Much like how consoles don't have to kill media players to be successful, the Apple TV won't have to kill conventional consoles to carve out a tiny slice of the video game market. It's going to be targeting a bigger slice of the media playback and distribution market, while getting a toe in the door of the gaming market.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Joeykanga said:
Last time there were four main ones, (6th Generation) One died off. (DreamCast)
Yeah, if Apple joins the console race, expect to see some one drop out... Or Apple's console to fail...

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits
Around the Network

oh god..apple fanboys.....may god help us.

Incert Witty Comment on how i'm a fanboy of all systems including PC here.

i hope they do, it will be so easy to mock there console as it will look good, but be crap and apple fanboys will have orgys over it even though it will only have a 10% market share,

oh sorry thats there computers.

The iPod is good, Safari Browser is good, the iPhone is not so good (2 year exclusive deal FTL, lack of taken for granted phone features), Mac OS is good.

Had there been an Apple Games Console, it'll likely disrupt the current small pond MS and Sony are fighting for. God knows what unique ideas could they think of (besides iTunes integration).

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

This has been discussed before. I'd imagine an Apple console would be more like the next iteration if Apple TV. A TV box top entirely based around digital distribution and streaming content. One that would focus on movies, music and games. I'm sure there'd be a concerted effort to go after families and new gamers as well, but it's unsure if they'd try to follow the Wii control direction.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

new apple console = dreamcast

or it could knock microsoft out