By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How much will Halo Wars sell?

A friend of mine doesn't belive Halo Wars will reach much further than a million but I just took a look at the Command & Conquer 3 Sales for Xbox 360 and they're 500 Thousand. So its a no brainer that Halo Wars will get more than a million because

a) C&C was released multiplatform.

b) C&C was released early 2007 when the userbase for the 360 was at just under 9 million, if the 360 reaches 24 million this xmas then thats 15 million more potential buyers.

c) Halo Wars will very much most probably be much much better.

d) It has the Halo name.

e) Its out before christmas.

I know it will pass a million but I don't know how far an rts can go on a console? anybody like to make an estimate?

Around the Network

I'm guessing 1.75-3 milliom maximum , the Halo name will do alot for this game but apart from that RTS's don't do too excelently on consoles.

I'd say 2 million is around the upper limit, but it'll definitely do a million.

Or at least 999,999 (I haven't decided if I'm buying it yet )

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

It will quite likely make 1m, and if it is good, it is certainly I game that I would consider

I don't know an amount, but probably lots. Isn't it also being developed by the same people who made the Age of Empires games (Ensemble or something like that)?

Too bad it's Xbox 360 only (unless I'm mistaken of course), I'd be more interested in it if it's also coming to the PC.

Around the Network

Around 1.5 million sales LTD for Halo Wars.

You have Sony fanboys saying laughable numbers in this thread for obvious reasons.

Halo Wars will sell at least 3 million in it's first year.

* like the OP said, user base of X360 when Halo Wars is released is massive compared to C&C release.

* C&C wasn't exlusive to X360 platform. These 2 factors alone will secure Halo Wars will sell 1 million.

* Halo-fans will try RTS-gaming for real thanks to this game. When Halo Wars is released, there will be 8 million Halo 3 sold. At least 1/5 will of these buy Halo Wars (1.6 mill). ---> 2.5 million.

* Christmas release is the best time.

* Ensemble studios is the dev. Their Age of Empires series sell in the 6-10 millions for each release. Ensemble make +90% games, top notch AAA titles.

* These two above factors plus big marketing could mean another 1 mill.

Conclusion: most likely around 3.5 million sold world-wide in it's first year.

@ slimebeast, much of what you say does not make sense. You say that at least 1/5 of the Halo 3 owners will get it which = 1.6m, not 2.5m. Marketing cannot get you 1m sales, massive hype + marketing can but just marketing willl not get those sales

Slimebeast said:
You have Sony fanboys saying laughable numbers in this thread for obvious reasons.

Halo Wars will sell at least 3 million in it's first year.

* like the OP said, user base of X360 when Halo Wars is released is massive compared to C&C release.

Important , but then again it won't push Halo Wars to 3 Million.

* C&C wasn't exlusive to X360 platform. These 2 factors alone will secure Halo Wars will sell 1 million.

No I dought exclusivity with a game suh as this will make much difference in sales , it's a new game.

* Halo-fans will try RTS-gaming for real thanks to this game. When Halo Wars is released, there will be 8 million Halo 3 sold. At least 1/5 will of these buy Halo Wars (1.6 mill). ---> 2.5 million.

Halo 3 is an FPS , Halo Wars is an RTS I seriously dought 1/5 of Halo fans will buy it purely because of the name

* Christmas release is the best time.

* Ensemble studios is the dev. Their Age of Empires series sell in the 6-10 millions for each release. Ensemble make +90% games, top notch AAA titles.

This I have to agree with , Ensemble made the greatest RTS EVER !!!

* These two above factors plus big marketing could mean another 1 mill.

Marketing can only do some much for a genre that traditionaly doesn't apeal to a significant % of console userbases.

Conclusion: most likely around 3.5 million sold world-wide in it's first year.

2nd Conclusion , your conclusion fails. 

I think a minimum of one million just because of the Halo name, but due to the historic weakness of RTS on consoles I put the upper limit at 2 million.

If they ever do release the "x-mote" with an IR camera for point and click then all estimates go out the window.