By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony cry: Wii is Just "Impulse Purchase"

Sony Computer Entertainment of America spokesperson Dave Karraker says Wii should not be directly compared to PS3. Interviewed by The New York Times today he said, “Wii could be considered an impulse buy more than anything else.” Karraker added that Sony is selling out of the 100,000 PS3 units it is shipping into the US every wek. But, he added, “The frenzy we saw at the holidays has subsided a bit.” Sony believes Wii is currently selling to casual gamers rather than committed gamers, who are likely to buy more games in the years ahead. Meanwhile, Nintendo says its shipments of Wii into the US are equal to Sony’s and has described reports that Wii shortages are down to lower shipments as “absolutely inaccurate”.

Around the Network

If the PS3 really is selling-out of 100,000 units every week in the US, and Sony really shipped 1 million during 2007 (of which 700k sold), wouldn't that mean that Sony has sold 700k in January in the US? :O

NFreak said: If the PS3 really is selling-out of 100,000 units every week in the US, and Sony really shipped 1 million during 2007 (of which 700k sold), wouldn't that mean that Sony has sold 700k in January in the US? :O
We will find out soon won't we.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

I don't think it's an impulse buy. Both systems have equally hyped games for this year. Sony has MGS4 and Final Fantasy along with some other decent games; and Nintendo has Metroid and SSBB, along with some other decent games as well. I don't think people are buying the Wii impulsively. I'm getting a Wii because I know better games are coming out like Heroes and such. And even if it was an impulse buy...doesn't Sony wish people could just buy a $600 PS3 on a whim...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Selling 700k in January is amazing. If the PS3 sells more in January than it did in November and December combined, then I will really change some of my predictions for this generation of gaming. I was led to believe that the PS3 was selling horribly, and would've guessed maybe 150k for January. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Around the Network

What is the news value? I quote an article of december 12th.. -------------------------- December 12, 2006 Sony Claims Wii Is "More of a Novelty" Despite Wii Sales Doubling PS3 Sales By Bob Caswell Wii_4 The Wall Street Journal has an article out that indirectly outlines Nintendo's comeback into the gaming world. Accordingly, U.S. retailers estimate that nearly 1.5 million Wiis will be sold before Christmas, about twice as many as the PS3. Nintendo explains that "Demand, as you can see from the reaction of consumers, has been greater than even we had hoped for." Sony's response? "We feel very confident that the PlayStation fan is going to wait until they can get a PlayStation 3...If they do pick up a Wii, it's as more of a novelty," says Sony spokesman Dave Karraker. Wow. Strong words coming from Mr. Sony PR. Especially considering that eBay auctions have the Nintendo gaming consoles selling for over $450, not to mention users of Craigslist.org posting offers to trade their unopened, more-expensive PS3s for the Wii, plus the price differential. And then we have some commentary by game publisher THQ. The company predicted that, due to shortages, it would be less likely to make anything by releasing games for the PS3. So THQ instead released four games for the Wii and pushed back any PS3 games till next year. During the previous console wars, Nintendo came in third place behind Sony and Microsoft. But this time around, Nintendo, the smallest of the three companies, already seems to have a comeback in the works... ---------------- pretty similar, huh? let's discuss something more interesting. did you know that the reason 'PR' is called 'PR' is because they didn't want to call it propaganda, it sounded too bad..

Well my local walmart, that I know gets shipments of 5-10/week, has only 1. Wich is saying 80 or 90% sellout. I've been to toysRus, Bestby, and they are not "everywhere" like the x-box 360s. I would have to say, they are selling very well. Considering the 500/600$ pricepoint. You can buy a Wii EASILY on 1 paycheck. Unless your liveing in a 50,000$+/year household, the PS3 is NOWHERE near as easy to buy. eg: working full time at wal-greens working as a photo tech. (one of the better paying jobs in town) you make 200 weekly. that means 3 weeks to afford a PS3. wich will put you to 200$ for everything else. The Wii... can still leave you with 600$. Not quite enough, but not gonna leave you without a home. The PS3 you need to save for. The Wii. You dont. I agree it's a impulse buy. It's fun. Especially for the casual gamer. But I'm sorry. Nintendogs, Warioware, MarioWii(I'm sorry, I dont think I will like it from the videos. Since when did mario have a shiny star thing flying around to pick up coins for him? Once again, re-writing their games. The only game from nintendo that was 'diffrent' was Cellda. And I hated the ending on that. Mario sunshine, Paper Mario, Mario Paint... I havent been very fond of any of those. And Mario Galaxy... seems to be just another. The last mario I liked was Mario64. Every other mario was great. Mario64 was the only 3D mario to contiune the "mario" theory. Mario is a plumber, not a fireman. Mario is made out of pixels, not paper. And mario sure as hell, aint no austranut. And he does NOT have a farie for a friend. I am now down to 2 'nintendo' games this year. Lets see how the gameplay is on Metroid, and Super Smash. for a 600$ machine to be selling out(in certin locations), with shipments 'near' the size of the Wii's. That is friggin SPECTUCLAR.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

kwaad Every store I call for a Wii (5 or so every couple days) never has a Wii in stock. They don't even make it on the shelf usually. However, out of curiosity I ask about the PS3 and everyone of them always has 'plenty' in stock, meaining more than 1. I don't know who would say yes to plenty if there was only one in stock. I live in a large city, Tucson AZ, with a large gaming audience and quite of few section of town where the income levels are well above $50,000. So I would expect that if there were many people around that actually wanted to spend $600+ on a gaming machine they would. My family income is over $100,000. I think I am a typical gamer in terms of what I spend on games and time playing. I would not consider buying a $600 game machine, ever. That is just a waste of money. The people who are going to do this are the same hardcore bunch that buy the latest video cards for their pc's. They most likey have already bought one. People like you who don't make enough money and are saving to buy Sony's crap are not the majority. PS3 won't even come close to PS2/1 sales, they won't even come close to 10 million sold until the price drops to around $400. By then both Wii and 360 will be well into the 20+ million range. Lastly, since when is a $250 item an 'impulse buy'. I worked retail (Circuit City, Sears, and Home Depot) before, and I never say anything above $20 in the impulse buy section. Hell, Walgreen's, where you work, has what less than 10 things in the entire store over $250. The whole damn store is like an impulse buy. This just Sony's way of bashing Nintendo. Like the whole 'kiddy game' crap. Well both Sony and MS are getting their asses kicked by a kid.

I used to work for walgreens. I was fired because I outperformed my boss, and was a threat to her, so she got me for everything she could, and got me fired. Second if I make 5.15/hour *40(full time)=206/week*4=824 First off, that's minimum wage. Second. that's befrore uncle sam takes his chunk. After taxes, and gas going to work... you would be lucky to have 650$left. Wich where I live, is NOT enough to buy a PS3 after taxes. The Wii... That's plenty. I'll pick one up, while I'm saveing for the next 3 months for the PS3. that's why I got my Wii first. Next up. The Wii is selling well because no-one has anything bad to say about it, and those that do say something get mobbed. (seriously go to a retail store, and try to convince any one of them the PS3 isnt ****) The PS3 from hardware is the best, and in 4 months will be 1up on the Wii. The Wii has 2 games that hold my intrest. Both do not have release dates, or even gameplay videos out yet. meaning their a ways off. Let me list the games I'm "hyped" for, for the X-Box360. I would rather cheer Nintendo on, before the 360 any day. I want lost planet, Viva Pinyata. Dead Riseing... ummm that's what's out now... as for what's comming... Too Human, Two Worlds, Fable2, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Postal3. That's at least 6 exclusives to the 360... I would like to play. I want alot more for the PS3. And 2 for the Wii... as someone told me thinking I was stupid. Software is what makes or breaks a console. the PS3 should be... at best 2nd. with the 360 in 1st. however... it's in the eye of the beholder if the 360 is best or not. I like PS2 games more than anything else. And expect PS3 to soon take over. Every 12 year old, can afford a Wii, but most are going to have to beg, and plead, and beg and cry, for months on end, giveing up their birthday, and x-mas, for a PS3. It's a mean machine. Enough said.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad, you mention only two games of intrest to you in Nintendo's lineup. I am assuming you just don't like the classic Nintendo titles like Zelda or Mario? What about SM Galaxy. Every editor I have read said it is on par with SM64, you mention it was the last one you liked. What about red steel, wii sports or play, battalion wars, Dragon Quest, Project Hammer, Sadness just to name a few of interestingly fun games. Plus the many multi console ports that I think will play better on the wii, though not look as good. I prefer great gameplay and good visuals over good gameplay and great visuals. I agree with you on the 360 and borrow the unit that I bought for my little brother every so ofter when a good games comes out like gears of war. However, on the PS3, all of there once great exclusives are jumping ship and becoming multi-platform items. There are only what a few exclusives left that aren't published by Sony? In terms of ports, Nintendo has the best situation. Xbox has only 2 geat IP's that are MS published, Gears of War and Halo. Sony has about 4, and Nintendo has 10 or so. All of the 3rd party devs are starting to put ports of their best items on all machines because building games is just too expensive to keep it exclusive, plus porting to Nintendo is the least expensive option. As Wii's base build to nearly match that of 360 by years end you will see 3rd parties have ports of all of their best titles to 360 and Wii and Sony will have no more 3rd part exclusives. Sony will be in 3rd due to it not having a much greater hardware tech than 360 and those that want visuals will buy the less expensive maching that has all of the same games. The 1st/2nd place will be between 360/Wii. 360 for hard core, who will also pu probably all machines anyways, and Wii for casuals and families. That might put Wii in the same boat as DS, which is a great arguement to show that Wii could very well blow them both out of the water. My personal prediction.