By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - EA's anti piracy screwing up PC Mass Effect.

shio said:

Jeeesus, so many broken hearts here. Guys, you only need to have an internet connection on your PC every 10 days, and pretty much any PC has internet nowadays, so stop wining.

Both security methods might be a little troubling for some true owners, but it sure as hell is going to be terrible for pirates. If this will be able to delay the pirated version for a couple of weeks after the release of Mass Effect, then it's a good thing.

azrm2k said:
FTA apparently Spore may also do this which would be interesting if true as that's definitely going to be one of the biggest PC games if not the biggest this year.

But it doesn't affect SPORE much since you actually need to connect to the internet to get all the user made goodies.

How much would you like to bet me that the scene release of ME beats the street date by several days?

The idea that it would take scene groups weeks to break this copy protection is, quite frankly, absurd.

Around the Network
Played_Out said:

The whole point is that DRM only affects legitimate users, not pirates, so piracy becomes the preferable option.

This irony greatly amuses me...

These excessive anti-piracy efforts sound like something coming from top-management: "Oh, piracy is a problem? Put a few smart guys working on protecting our software!". If they put a few other smart guys thinking about the impact of those measures, maybe they wouldn't end up in the final version of the software.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Lingyis said:
it's tough for PC game makers these days. you're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't.

i'm beginning to see the reason why publishers are willing to pay a premium (licence fees) to have their games on consoles instead of PCs. with consoles this powerful, PC games really could become a niche market, if not already.

You do know that PC gaming has more gamers than the entire Console market, right? Not only that, but PC gaming probably makes more money than Wii/PS3/Xbox360 combined.

Played_Out said:
shio said:

Jeeesus, so many broken hearts here. Guys, you only need to have an internet connection on your PC every 10 days, and pretty much any PC has internet nowadays, so stop wining.

Both security methods might be a little troubling for some true owners, but it sure as hell is going to be terrible for pirates. If this will be able to delay the pirated version for a couple of weeks after the release of Mass Effect, then it's a good thing.

azrm2k said:
FTA apparently Spore may also do this which would be interesting if true as that's definitely going to be one of the biggest PC games if not the biggest this year.

But it doesn't affect SPORE much since you actually need to connect to the internet to get all the user made goodies.

How much would you like to bet me that the scene release of ME beats the street date by several days?

The idea that it would take scene groups weeks to break this copy protection is, quite frankly, absurd.

Bioshock used a not-so-tight Securom version, and it was able to stay uncracked for 13 days.

Has there been any demonstrated relationship between how quickly a game was cracked and its sales?

Around the Network
*bleu-ocelot* said:
@mummelmann-A pirated copy cant be authenticated hence the implementation of the system in the first place smart@ss.

I think you fail at even understanding your own points now, just stop.

you could just buy it on the 360

If this still holds true when the game ships then I for one will be passing this up. That level of piracy prevention is just crazy (particularly when it's going to be hacked anyway) and I for one am not going to endorse it in any shape or form.

This is one of the major reasons I've been steadily graviting from PCs to consoles and if this trend keeps up it looks like I'll only ever be buying Valve games in the future... Left 4 Dead here I come!

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable said:
If this still holds true when the game ships then I for one will be passing this up. That level of piracy prevention is just crazy (particularly when it's going to be hacked anyway) and I for one am not going to endorse it in any shape or form.

This is one of the major reasons I've been steadily graviting from PCs to consoles and if this trend keeps up it looks like I'll only ever be buying Valve games in the future... Left 4 Dead here I come!

Now this is one of the most stupid reasons I've ever heard from people saying they switched from PC to consoles. It's a really stupid reason. The fact that 99% of the PC games do not have this such forceful anti-piracy protection just proves my point and how your statement is the opposite of your nickname.

Off the top of my head, only 1 major PC game uses this kind of excessive anti-piracy protection: Bioshock. I can't think of any other big game.

If EA is going to use such methods from now on, then we'll see how the sales will turn out. I'm still waiting for PC Gaming Alliance to think up of something to reduce piracy.

And for everyone saying they're not going to buy SPORE now: Shut Up ,this method doesn't affect SPORE since you NEED an internet connection to get the most out of the game. The 3 activation limits is a pain is the ass though, but let's be fair, 99% of us won't install the game in more than 3 PC's.

@shio: I don't think it's about installing the game on 3 PCs, as that's probably illegal in the first place. It's more about the possibility of having to reinstall the game.