By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - EA's anti piracy screwing up PC Mass Effect.

So your proud of the fact that your the reason PC gaming is dying?

No companies making legal PC Games unattractive by braindead protection schemes and terrible ports are the reason PC gaming is dying. (Hint EA hint)

Around the Network

I don't buy pc games with piracy protection like that for my pc out of principle. I hate being punished for doing the right thing.

I liked the civ 4 approach. No piracy protection at all. Yes it got pirated but at least the legal owners weren't treated like criminals and it still sold extremely well.

I *was* planning on getting this, but not so much now. -_-;;

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

it's tough for PC game makers these days. you're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't.

i'm beginning to see the reason why publishers are willing to pay a premium (licence fees) to have their games on consoles instead of PCs. with consoles this powerful, PC games really could become a niche market, if not already.

the Wii is an epidemic.

Lingyis said:
it's tough for PC game makers these days. you're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't.

i'm beginning to see the reason why publishers are willing to pay a premium (licence fees) to have their games on consoles instead of PCs. with consoles this powerful, PC games really could become a niche market, if not already.

Why are you damned if you don't? I don't see anyone pounding on games without draconian DRM.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Pc gaming is hardly a niche market. Digital distribution is booming and it has the largest casual market by far (yes larger then the wii's look up games like bejeweled).

BenKenobi88 said:

A crack after buying the game is fine with me though, I could totally understand that if you don't have constant internet.

But yeah, that's why I love Steam. It requires internet for the initial activation, but it's fine after that, except for a few instances where it tries to update itself, fails, and then I can't play any of my games (my internet died during a storm last week). There was probably a way around it, but of course I couldn't search online how to do it :p

I'll probably be doing the crack thing myself (I have constant internet I just don't like BS anti-piracy crap and thwart it out of principle), but I will be waiting a week or two to find out how bad of job they did before I even purchase it...and yeah if my copy gets bricked because of their stupidity I'm going to be downloading another one.

@topic,

All in all this is one of the worst anti-piracy ideas ever. All this does is get the warez groups excited for a new challenge. The very fact that people want to pirate the game to piss in EA's cheerios means all the warez groups are going to be lined up and salivating to crack this thing ASAP.

It boggles my mind how GD clueless they are. This is not a software or methodology battle they are fighting, they will always lose that battle. All they can do with software is provide a minor deterence, their real battle is hearts and minds and convincing people its wrong....and as long as they keep doing stuff like this they might as well just pack it in.

Its easy to bitch about piracy but nobody expects that to change on its own, EA needs to approach this intelligently and quite honestly what their doing now is akin to pulling out a sledge hammer to make the square peg fit through the round hole. And so long as they use this strategy I have zero sympathy, particularly since it inconveniences legitimate customers like myself (referring to the past of securom on this one).

To Each Man, Responsibility
epsilon72 said:
Taken from a poster on destructoid:
"http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=628375&forum=125&sp=3
Mass Effect and Spore will have a limited number of activations, similar to Bioshock before it. The number of these activations will be three. Every time Securom makes your game "cease to function" because it couldn't verify the legitimacy of the game, getting the game reactivated will blow an activation. Thus, after three such events, your game is bricked. Go buy a new copy, get a new CD-key." (or call tech support, possibly)

Jesus christ is that even legal.

You know, I know for a damn fact that if my copy got bricked because my internet went down(and it does all the time with satellite internet, just takes rain storm) then they would give me a new key over the phone, because I would verbally murder them with my adult voice if they tried not to give it to me.

I would also sue them.

I would also put that story in as many periodicles as possible, internet, newspaper, and television, and believe me, I could get that story on Kotaku, my local newspaper, and my local affiliate if I actually sued their ass. 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Jesus christ is that even legal.

A good question. It makes reselling the game effectively impossible. If you buy it you never know if you have activations left. Wow EA really finds new ways all the time to screw customers.

Note to all the "EA isn't as bad as everyone says" guys.

*bleu-ocelot* said:
@mummelmann-A pirated copy cant be authenticated hence the implementation of the system in the first place smart@ss.

A pirated copy won't need to be authenticated as it will have the copy-protection removed in the first place, dumb@ss.

The whole point is that DRM only affects legitimate users, not pirates, so piracy becomes the preferable option.

DRM will never succeed because anything that can be engineered can be reverse-engineered.

PC gaming is not dying, and the impact of piracy on game sales is grossly over-estimated by fear-mongering industry executives. If piracy was really crippling the industry, how come sales continue to increase year-on-year (just like they do in the music industry)?

People see the number of seeders/leechers on torrent sites and imagine that those numbers represent lost sales. They don't.