By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is there a chance that the Gamecube can beat the Xbox in terms of sales?

After hearing that chart track were removing Gamecube and Xbox from their listings, Spong got in touch with Nintendo, and Nintendo (UK I presume) confirmed to them Gamecube software and hardware are both still in production. I would have thought that smarter retailers would realise that the success of Wii and current dearth of worthwhile software would mean the Gamecube back-catalogue has a place once again, and that growth in Gamecube software sales may in turn stimulate hardware. Too bad all the retailers are brainwashed fearful fools.

Around the Network

alex, we went over this. The Gamecube, a system with no new games being made for it, a system no longer supported by it's manufacturer, a system that struggled during it's lifetime, will not move an additional 3 million consoles. It will never overtake the Xbox Because both of those systems are done.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Because of Halo and ................well we can't tell you its a secret on this site!

stof said:
alex, we went over this. The Gamecube, a system with no new games being made for it, a system no longer supported by it's manufacturer, a system that struggled during it's lifetime, will not move an additional 3 million consoles. It will never overtake the Xbox Because both of those systems are done.

When did we go over this? I must have missed it.

a.l.e.x59 said:

In the "Is Nintendo Finally back to being a powerhouse thread"

Some guy said that Xbox had sold less than gamecube. I corrected him with this post

- @ SpaceJase.  It's not a myth actualy. the Xbox sold 24 Mil and the Gamecube 22. We've always known that. That chart seems to not have the Pal territories in it.  Don't be so accusatory and quick to write of other posters. It ends up making you look bad when they turn out to be right.

NintendoMar-20070.00 / 4.020.37 / 12.810.01 / 4.760.38 / 21.59
MicrosoftMar-20070.00 / 0.530.08 / 16.420.03 / 7.810.11 / 24.76

But despite that, you later posted in the same thread

- I think Gamecube has defeated the Xbox by now. Xbox died about a year ago, but I still see Gamecubes for sale.

So while it had already been covered, Wareagle372 posted 

- but gamecube sales about 2,000 a week worldwide. It has a long way to go b4 beating the xbox

And I posted

- Nope, The box has just under 25 million and the Cube is just under 22.

There. You asked, we responded. It's safely covered. 

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

I am a big Nintendo fan and I would say it really doesn't matter that much that the Xbox sold roughly 3 million units more than the Gamecube. The GC got a good number of great games in its lifespan and I enjoyed them, while the Xbox had next to nothing in games that interested me.

There's no chance that the GC could have beaten the Xbox with its slightly longer lifespan, sorry alex.

On a sidenote: Nice avatar alex, I like Sonic the hedgehog. Will you dedicate a thread to Sonic games soon?

Were you joking about that? lol

http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=2511 

Nintendo is saying they are still producing the system and have not discontinued it yet. But I would be very surprised if very many systems sell at this point. Here is the real question does it matter if it does? No matter what happens at this point it will always be considered to be last.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25399636 "GameDaily's interview was with none other than Perrin Kaplan, Nintendo of America's doyenne of publicity. With surprising frankness, she told the AOL-owned publication straight-out that Nintendo has officially pulled the plug on its perky purple box. "Are we producing any more GameCubes? No," Kaplan said bluntly. "But do we have the inventory there for people to still purchase? Yes." She went on to also say that Nintendo is no longer developing any GameCube titles, which is tantamount to a deathblow for the first-party-game-dependent console.

Dolla Dolla said:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25399636 "GameDaily's interview was with none other than Perrin Kaplan, Nintendo of America's doyenne of publicity. With surprising frankness, she told the AOL-owned publication straight-out that Nintendo has officially pulled the plug on its perky purple box. "Are we producing any more GameCubes? No," Kaplan said bluntly. "But do we have the inventory there for people to still purchase? Yes." She went on to also say that Nintendo is no longer developing any GameCube titles, which is tantamount to a deathblow for the first-party-game-dependent console.

Funny you should bring that up. Its one of the reasons Kaplan is widely known as a misinformed idiot, since Nintendo came out soon afterwards to note that they ARE still making Gamecube hardware.

"I can confirm that globally, Nintendo is still continuing production of GameCube hardware and GameCube software," a spokesperson for Nintendo Europe told EuroGamer."

http://www.gamerwithin.com/?view=article&article=2153&cat=4

It doesn't matter though. They'll only ship another couple hundred thousand units. Might as well, when they make a profit on it at $80, and people still want to buy Smash and Mario Kart.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

stof said:
a.l.e.x59 said:

In the "Is Nintendo Finally back to being a powerhouse thread"

Some guy said that Xbox had sold less than gamecube. I corrected him with this post

- @ SpaceJase.  It's not a myth actualy. the Xbox sold 24 Mil and the Gamecube 22. We've always known that. That chart seems to not have the Pal territories in it.  Don't be so accusatory and quick to write of other posters. It ends up making you look bad when they turn out to be right.

NintendoMar-20070.00 / 4.020.37 / 12.810.01 / 4.760.38 / 21.59
MicrosoftMar-20070.00 / 0.530.08 / 16.420.03 / 7.810.11 / 24.76

But despite that, you later posted in the same thread

- I think Gamecube has defeated the Xbox by now. Xbox died about a year ago, but I still see Gamecubes for sale.

So while it had already been covered, Wareagle372 posted 

- but gamecube sales about 2,000 a week worldwide. It has a long way to go b4 beating the xbox

And I posted

- Nope, The box has just under 25 million and the Cube is just under 22.

There. You asked, we responded. It's safely covered. 

I figured that it would be better to make an entire thread regarding the Xbox Vs. Gamecube.