By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rock* Houser _F**k casual gaming.

TheRealMafoo said:
Naum said:
BTW whats so groundbreaking about GTA almost the same but with improved graphics

I can see, you never played the game.

It's a sandbox game, that had far more time put into the sandbox then the game.

So while there is a story you can follow, if that's all you did, you would experience 5% of what it has to offer.

I think it's also the first game of its kind with multiplayer. (I could be wrong)

It got 10's from most everyone for reasons other then "almost the same but with improved graphics"

You are : GTA : LCS was the first with multiplayer and Saints Row was the first with online multiplayer .

On topic : its interesting how some developers are going so loudly against casual gamers/games ... though I agree with them I also know that  ~ 60% of all who will buy GTAIV will be casual gamers :P 

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

Ah, sorry people.

I'm trying to concentrate while my mom talks about Menopause.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof said:
Ah, sorry people.

I'm trying to concentrate while my mom talks about Menopause.

And I thought I shared too much information with people...

I can't say I am a champion of casual gaming or anything, but I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing. I don't like how developers are able to get away with making shitty games that sell multiple millions though (I am looking at you Mario Party 8 and Mario & Sonic at the Olympics), but other than that I really don't care. Games like Wii Fit and Wii Sports are pretty innovative.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

dabaus513 said:

"Yeah, fuck all this stuff about casual gaming. I think people still want games that are groundbreaking...We're hopefully going to prove that there's also a very big audience for people who want entertainment in another form, who think of games as being a narrative device that can challenge movies."

http://kotaku.com/386573/rockstars-houser-+-fuck-casual-gaming

Sam houser is Rockstar VP and GTA IV co-writer

Their is a market for both obviously--and that's good.  I personally don't like casual gaming much, but 80% of the people in the VGchartz community do.  It's nice to see different types of gaming evolving.  He is right about one thing though--GTAIV will show that hardcore gaming is far from dead.

PSN ID: Sorrow880

Gamertag: Sorrow80

Wii #: 8132 1076 3416 7450

Around the Network

Reality Check: GTA4 is targeted at casual and core demographics. However most sales will come from the casual demographic.

Comments like this show an increasing trend from "professional" game developers. Developers that feel threatened by the expansion of the market. The expansion has been good and bad, but some of these guys can't seem to emotionally cope with games that rate low but still 500k copies.

It's ok Houser, no need to fret. Keep sounding like a jackass in your quotables and you'll be making shovelware in no time.

That's not exactly what he said he said.... "F*** all that stuff..."

He could be implying that he disaproves of the way casual titles are being treated in the market and saying that they are just as valid as theatrical games. At least that's what I got out of it.

without context you can make anyone words sound like anything you want and that is what has happened here. As someone pointed out R* realeased the ultra casual Table Tennis game to botht the 360 and the Wii.

Naum said:
so wen cant casual games be groundbreaking?

Wii sports or wii fit for a example

BTW whats so groundbreaking about GTA almost the same but with improved graphics

maybe Naum u had never been to a arcade gaming centre before. motion sensing games like Wii sports and Wii fit are not something ground breaking these days. It had been implemented in arcade games for ages. take a look at this.

a true motion sensing game which doesnt even need a controller, the parapara paradise.

not to mention games like time crysis and the soccer game which requires to really kick a ball to pass or shoot haha.

wat is genius abt nintendo is their marketing team. they are able to see the potential of motion sensing gaming in families and casual gamers, thus they take a gamble and implemented it at Wii and DS, n it is successful.  wat a cheeky win from them in this generation.

by the way i played this shooting game before at the arcade before, which requires you to really duck or move your body to dodge the bullets. u will know its a damn old game judging by the gaphics. here is the video:

watch the video at the time of 1:11, u will see how the guy dodge, its quite funny.

I guess he's upset that the table tennis game that they developed did not set the retail channel on fire. Hopefully, they'll have better idea in the future.

Also, why do people believe that casual gaming is a new trend. The market has been around for ages. Companies like Nintendo, Sega, Namco, Activision, and others started out as casual companies. But began to cater more exclusively to the core gamer.

Now, the gaming industry is starting to recognize the casual market. Developers want to play silly games and make it an us versus them situation just to appeal to the core gamer who feels threated. The PS2 and the GBA both appealed to the core and casual crowds last gen. RockStar also developed Grand Theat Auto Advance for the GBA to appeal to the casual and core gamers that own the console. Why can't developers do that now? Make games for both gamers.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

DragonLord said:
dabaus513 said:

"Yeah, fuck all this stuff about casual gaming. I think people still want games that are groundbreaking...We're hopefully going to prove that there's also a very big audience for people who want entertainment in another form, who think of games as being a narrative device that can challenge movies."

http://kotaku.com/386573/rockstars-houser-+-fuck-casual-gaming

Sam houser is Rockstar VP and GTA IV co-writer

Their is a market for both obviously--and that's good. I personally don't like casual gaming much, but 80% of the people in the VGchartz community do. It's nice to see different types of gaming evolving. He is right about one thing though--GTAIV will show that hardcore gaming is far from dead.

As a huuuge Grand Theft Auto fan I have to say that you're totally missing the boat, here.   GTA is pretty much the defining example of a casual game.