By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rock* Houser _F**k casual gaming.

He means casual games as in games that f*cking suck or the Wii series, things that are very cheap and look like crap compared to GTAIV. GTAIV appeals to los of people, but it is far from a cheap game made to get a quick buck.

Around the Network

Excuse me!*Ahem*
May I have your attention please.*Ahem*
May I have your attention please.

Will the real casual gamer - please stand up.
(I repeat)
Will the real casual gamer - please - stand up!

Look's like were gonna have a problem here.

Can someone please I've been asking for the last 3 threads on this, who here is a casual gamer, I just want to touch one.

Those guys seem as scarce as pink elephants.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

gengka said:
Naum said:
so wen cant casual games be groundbreaking?

Wii sports or wii fit for a example

BTW whats so groundbreaking about GTA almost the same but with improved graphics

maybe Naum u had never been to a arcade gaming centre before. motion sensing games like Wii sports and Wii fit are not something ground breaking these days. It had been implemented in arcade games for ages. take a look at this.

a true motion sensing game which doesnt even need a controller, the parapara paradise.

not to mention games like time crysis and the soccer game which requires to really kick a ball to pass or shoot haha.

wat is genius abt nintendo is their marketing team. they are able to see the potential of motion sensing gaming in families and casual gamers, thus they take a gamble and implemented it at Wii and DS, n it is successful. wat a cheeky win from them in this generation.

Cool.

How much can I buy that arcade game for?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:
gengka said:
Naum said:
so wen cant casual games be groundbreaking?

Wii sports or wii fit for a example

BTW whats so groundbreaking about GTA almost the same but with improved graphics

maybe Naum u had never been to a arcade gaming centre before. motion sensing games like Wii sports and Wii fit are not something ground breaking these days. It had been implemented in arcade games for ages. take a look at this.

a true motion sensing game which doesnt even need a controller, the parapara paradise.

not to mention games like time crysis and the soccer game which requires to really kick a ball to pass or shoot haha.

wat is genius abt nintendo is their marketing team. they are able to see the potential of motion sensing gaming in families and casual gamers, thus they take a gamble and implemented it at Wii and DS, n it is successful. wat a cheeky win from them in this generation.

Cool.

How much can I buy that arcade game for?

179.90 pounds bundled with wiisports. opps!

thats why nintendo is successful with Wii/DS. they apply the correct strategy, but not the "ground breaking tech".

DragonLord said:
dabaus513 said:

"Yeah, fuck all this stuff about casual gaming. I think people still want games that are groundbreaking...We're hopefully going to prove that there's also a very big audience for people who want entertainment in another form, who think of games as being a narrative device that can challenge movies."

http://kotaku.com/386573/rockstars-houser-+-fuck-casual-gaming

Sam houser is Rockstar VP and GTA IV co-writer

Their is a market for both obviously--and that's good. I personally don't like casual gaming much, but 80% of the people in the VGchartz community do. It's nice to see different types of gaming evolving. He is right about one thing though--GTAIV will show that hardcore gaming is far from dead.

GTA4 is not hardcore gaming.

Hardcore gaming has nothing to do with killing and 'mature' audiences only labels. GTA series is a defining casual experience.

Super Mario Galaxy, ZeldaTP, and Metroid Prime are more hardcore gaming. Bioshock, Okami, resident evil, and so on are all various types of hardcore games.

Whereas GTA, GH, Wii series, Mario and Sonic Olympics, etc are all various types of casual games.

I think he is specifically talking about the over simplified minigames and obvious cash-ins. 

Around the Network

How is GTA not hardcore but Mario is? Seriously?

dib8rman said:
Excuse me!*Ahem*
May I have your attention please.*Ahem*
May I have your attention please.

Will the real casual gamer - please stand up.
(I repeat)
Will the real casual gamer - please - stand up!

Look's like were gonna have a problem here.

Can someone please I've been asking for the last 3 threads on this, who here is a casual gamer, I just want to touch one.

Those guys seem as scarce as pink elephants.

You're going to have a harder time finding a casual gamer on a site dedicated to counting the sales figures of game consoles.  What would truly casual gamers have to do with this site?

This reminds me of when people claim Ratchet and Clank is a casual game while Mario is hardcore.

Here is the irony -- would GTA IV have ever seen the light of day (or as soon as it did) if Take 2 not made a bundle of bucks with Carnival Games?

Remember, Take 2's financials are not good -- just its properties.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

GlingGling said:
Reality Check: GTA4 is targeted at casual and core demographics. However most sales will come from the casual demographic.

Comments like this show an increasing trend from "professional" game developers. Developers that feel threatened by the expansion of the market. The expansion has been good and bad, but some of these guys can't seem to emotionally cope with games that rate low but still 500k copies.

It's ok Houser, no need to fret. Keep sounding like a jackass in your quotables and you'll be making shovelware in no time.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter--good post.