By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why I think a FF7 remake would be very akward.

if one game is not kiddy it's Final Fantasy VII with it's brothels and prostitution, cross-dressing, eugenics, cloning, mass-murder, terrorism and more. Despite this it can also be light-hearted as it is dark. but kiddy it isn't at all..

''Hadouken!''

Around the Network

Bad Ass Meter: 13 times.
Good enough but better luck next time.

Setting that aside.

Since 10 that was the problem. FF7-FF9 were the games that had me laughing while reading through the dialog. I sometimes wish those quirky humor that they inject come back.

But I'd seriously want one remake just for the sake of playing it again. I couldn't stand playing FF7(PSX). I don't why but FF8-FF9 we're still good for me.

kingofwale said:
The overuse of "bad ass" is nearly as annoying as the overuse of "ultimately" by certain PR person.

I really don't mind the story. I would love a FFVII remake, to complete my Crisis Core story.

Wut?... seriously buy FF7 on PS1... or use a PS1 emulator on your PSP and play FF7... it will "complete the Crisis Core story" -_- I mean Crisis Core goes all the way up to the very beggining of FF7 then Advent Children adds a whole nother battle and story to the end, I mean seriously how much more complete do you want?

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

and it's story is also a big tragedy, with the Ancient race dying out, Aeris and her love Zack both getting killed, Sephiroth dies, Cloud and Tifa never become happy, Barret's life is ruined, Dyne is dead and his wife too, proffesor Gast is killed, Vincent life is ruined and more.. it's actually a sad story, and mature, the good part is that this all leads to the planet being saved..

''Hadouken!''

and the dialogue is not like in a teen novel at all, it's very clever, serious and humorous at times, with also relatively for a rpg a lot of swearing and references to sex

''Hadouken!''

Around the Network

@OP, I had completely forgotten about those moments you talked about. I would pay a lot of money to play those in HD (meaning I'd actually buy my first current gen console). Let's not forget dating the FF7 girls in HD... Awkward? Maybe, but only because those moments you mentioned were actually quite awkward (and comical) in the original game with the proper imagination.

Awkward is a part of life, and a really fun part of life. In a video game these moments would be priceless. Because let's face it, they don't happen often enough.

Yes, I see what you're saying, and you have a good point. FF7 still had its share of holdovers from the wacky 2D JRPG era. Don Corneo is the most obvious one, but there are plenty of others (the stage play with Aeris and Cloud, for instance). These scenes would never work outside of that very specific context with the super-deformed characters, exaggerated body language, and text-only dialogue.

Just about the only way to deal with it would be to rewrite the scenes to tone them down. I really don't think it would be that difficult, but there would be outrage among the fans. Plus, I really don't trust the current Square to pull it off right. The magic, the dream team, is gone now.

Or listening to them deliver lines that could've been written by a 15 year old making a fan-fiction.

Yeah, some of the dialogue was fairly amateurish. But the English script was written before Square was really serious about its localizations, and the problem is easily remedied with a retranslation. Alexander O. Smith, for instance, is a fantastic writer and translator. If they put him on the job, we'd have dialogue worthy of the game.

They'd need to get a better English voice cast, though... the one they've got now is awful (Mena Suvari is finally gone though!).

My biggest worry about a remake is something completely different. I just know they're going to cram the game full of excessive special effects, flying combat, and slow-motion backflips, like they have with all the Compilation projects. It could really kill the spirit of the original game, which was far more subdued.

i think you are confusing FFVII with Lunar..

''Hadouken!''

Heh Square will hear of all this and then it will be! FF7 remake for the DS! With FF4 graphical upgrades. Which all in all would be pretty cool as the "bad ass" parts will be acted out by the voice actors and the the quarky humor and one liners will only get the text treatment. I mean if they make a FF7 remake it'll probably be for DS like every other remake XD anyway I don't care too much I played it to death before I obtained literally everything in the game and got everyone up to level 99... there was nothing I didn't see or do... and remaking it I would just not do that again and if they add in some more story here and there... well I would miss out.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

All JRPGs have those awkward cute moments. It's not something exclusive to FF7.

Regardless, who says a remake has to be exactly the same? They could find new ways of expanding the storyline, that fits into this "new" dark, "bad ass", advent children style FF7. While cutting out some of the ... fluff from the original.