By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GTA IV smashes UK day one sales record: 609k (360: 335k PS3 274k)

Shameless said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@naznatips

no as I do not pay for my games...so that would be irresponsible of me

Pirate?

I think he means his parents do (he's 16. He may not have a job).

leo-j, that guarantee is worth just about as much as your guarantee that Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII would sell 6 million within a month of launch in all regions. It's amazing how many people have been on these forums for months or even more than a year, but still know nothing about sales.  Some things never change leo-j.

Around the Network

@naznatips

yeah thats the reason....but lets see...if it reaches that figure within 6 months I will definetely remind you..lol

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

hey Naz, if you are up for it.

I bet you that GTA will make 4.5 million WW in no more than 2 weeks. (you've stated it will take a month)

I'm willing to bet 1 month of Sig space. Are you up for it?

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
darthdevidem01 said:
@naznatips

no as I do not pay for my games...so that would be irresponsible of me

lucky you

darthdevidem01 said:
@naznatips

yeah thats the reason....but lets see...if it reaches that figure within 6 months I will definetely remind you..lol

Hehe that's fine.  We'll just make it a "bet with no conditions" sorta thing. 

@kingofwale I decline.  I'm not that confident in my short term numbers, more my long term numbers.  I also don't like avatar or sig bets.  I prefer to bet with something physical, and since you don't own a Wii I can't exploit virtual console games from you. I will say though that I don't expect GTA to have sold more than 9 million between both consoles by the end of this year. 

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
naznatips said:
mrstickball said:
Hmm. With early numbers like this being so awesome, I guess my 20m LTD prediction for GTAIV might not be too horrible afterall.

No, I honestly still think it's laughably ridiculous. Almost as bad as Pacther's prediction of 11 million by year's end. First month sales for the game will be around 4.5-5 million, and it will sell about like Halo 3 does after the first few months. Lifetime should be around 11 million.

I say it will accomplish that in 1 week

QFT! Gamestop are saying that GTA IV is neck-to-neck with Halo 3 in day one sales. It is impressive and with these incredible numbers from the UK, it can very sell 4 to 5 million in one week.

naznatips said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@naznatips

Hehe that's fine. We'll just make it a "bet with no conditions" sorta thing.

@kingofwale I decline. I'm not that confident in my short term numbers, more my long term numbers. I also don't like avatar or sig bets. I prefer to bet with something physical, and since you don't own a Wii I can't exploit virtual console games from you. I will say though that I don't expect GTA to have sold more than 9 million between both consoles by the end of this year.

And I expect then to reach 9 million within 2 months. :), in fact, I expect them to reach 4.5 million within the first week.  I work at bestbuy, I see how fast they are flying off the shelves, something not eve Halo3 can do.  It's truely amazing.

But, if you ever change your mind about sig/avatar bet, let me know

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

@munkeh111

well I don't get any pocket money...so it kind of evens out..

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Mirson said:
kingofwale said:
naznatips said:
mrstickball said:
Hmm. With early numbers like this being so awesome, I guess my 20m LTD prediction for GTAIV might not be too horrible afterall.

No, I honestly still think it's laughably ridiculous. Almost as bad as Pacther's prediction of 11 million by year's end. First month sales for the game will be around 4.5-5 million, and it will sell about like Halo 3 does after the first few months. Lifetime should be around 11 million.

I say it will accomplish that in 1 week

QFT! Gamestop are saying that GTA IV is neck-to-neck with Halo 3 in day one sales. It is impressive and with these incredible numbers from the UK, it can very sell 4 to 5 million in one week.

Don't forget that the standard multiplayer for game sales in the UK vs. the rest of Europe doesn't apply to GTA, which sells more like 50% of its European sales in the UK instead of the standard 25%.

The main thing people are forgetting is that this is going to be much more front-loaded than previous GTA titles because of the lack of casual sales. Even if it has the best first week sales in the franchise, it won't touch San Andreas in long-term sales.  I actually think I'm being fairly generous by saying it will only have a 30% drop for SA's lifetime sales.  

Oh Em Gee Nazna... Are you crazy?
Eleven million by august is realistic, too bad I don't have a Wii.

OT:

It did awesome, especially PS3. Nearly identical sales, on a smaller userbase. If it outsells 360, its really dead in EU