By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GTA IV smashes UK day one sales record: 609k (360: 335k PS3 274k)

^

As it appears you and Montana Hatchet are the only ones left, I'm tempted to say yes.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network

I guess the game could do 6-7 mil first week, then do less than 4 mil in the next three months... That makes a world of sense to me... Sounds exactly like the people who said the same thing about MHP2G in Japan... It wouldn't stay close to the 800k it sold first week, etc... But time will tell.

When I'm right in August, prepare to eat crow.

naznatips said:
MontanaHatchet said:
I know Naznatips, it's like people stop buying consoles after a big game is released...

Oh wait, it's the exact opposite. Grand Theft Auto III launched so early in the PS2's life and had it sold according to the PS2's numbers at its launch, its chances for 12 million would be slim. But the userbase expanded and more people bought the system, and along with it, Grand Theft Auto III.

And there's no one type of casual. You could be talking about the Mario Party lovin' kid. The Madden-lovin' frat boy. The Cooking Mama 'lovin housewife. There are a bajillion different types of casual gamers. While I'm sure the PS3 and 360 are lacking in the Singstar/Eyetoy type audience, I doubt there's a shortage of Grand Theft Auto fans.

I know plenty of people who are willing to pick up either of the two systems just because of Grand Theft Auto. Even if it does sell less than San Andreas, it's likely that the 1 or 2 Grand Theft Auto games coming after it this generation will easily outsell San Andreas.

You can say that it will sell less than San Andreas, but come on now, 11 million? That's just terrible. Don't make any bets off of it. You know that's a silly number.

Oh come on you're being ridiculous. Of course the userbase of a console when a game launches directly effects its sales. How is that a silly number? I'm predicting GTAIV will sell about the same as GTAIII on much more expensive consoles who's combined lifetime userbase will be signifficantly less than the PS2's.

Am I the only reasonable human being left in this discussion?

So when Grand Theft Auto III launched, the PS2 userbase was 30 million?

Do I really have to check figures for that?

And stop being so aggressive. Damn. I might just have to call you unreasonable and ridiculous if you get any more aggressive. Oh wait... 

DMeisterJ said:
I guess the game could do 6-7 mil first week, then do less than 4 mil in the next three months... That makes a world of sense to me... Sounds exactly like the people who said the same thing about MHP2G in Japan... It wouldn't stay close to the 800k it sold first week, etc... But time will tell.

When I'm right in August, prepare to eat crow.

Did you really just say this game did 6-7 million first week???

Halo 3 did under 4 million... let's try another number. How about 5 million if we are generous (read: Crazy)? Also, Halo 3 did just under 4 million first week and has sold less than 4 million in seven months. Argh, you people are driving me crazy.  Use logic.  For the love of god please use logic.

DMeisterJ isn't using logic, that's not really his tactic.

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
DOATS1 said:
if people want it to pass 10 million combined, i think it is a limit. the game needs a VERY high attach rate to achieve that target. that, and it being a multiplatform game just dampens the attach rate aswell. with other high profile games getting released soon after, i just don't see it hapenning.

Multiplatform games have lower attach rates? That doesn't even make any sense, at least not this generation...

What are the PS3's two best selling games? Motorstorm, and Call of Duty 4, with COD4 quickly reaching the target of best selling PS3 game. Consider that Motorstorm was bundled and it already is.

Look at the 360. Halo 3 and Call of Duty 3. Not only was the Xbox brand pretty much built on Halo, but it had a humongous launch coinciding with the holiday season. And don't think that Call of Duty 4 doesn't have a chance of outselling Halo 3, it has some amazing legs.

With games like Assassin's Creed and Guitar Hero doing so well, I don't see how you can say that. Do consider that Guitar Hero III for the PS2 is now the highest selling game in the series despite the fact that the game was on several different platforms. 

sorry i worded it wrong, i meant to say it dampens the attach rate for each console, not combined. so if gta was exclusive to ps3, it would have a much higher attach rate for the console, but because it multiplatform, it's split. anyway, i just don't think the game can surpass 10-11 million worldwide combined. i could be wrong of course, but that's unlikely in my opinion.

DOATS1 said:
MontanaHatchet said:
DOATS1 said:
if people want it to pass 10 million combined, i think it is a limit. the game needs a VERY high attach rate to achieve that target. that, and it being a multiplatform game just dampens the attach rate aswell. with other high profile games getting released soon after, i just don't see it hapenning.

Multiplatform games have lower attach rates? That doesn't even make any sense, at least not this generation...

What are the PS3's two best selling games? Motorstorm, and Call of Duty 4, with COD4 quickly reaching the target of best selling PS3 game. Consider that Motorstorm was bundled and it already is.

Look at the 360. Halo 3 and Call of Duty 3. Not only was the Xbox brand pretty much built on Halo, but it had a humongous launch coinciding with the holiday season. And don't think that Call of Duty 4 doesn't have a chance of outselling Halo 3, it has some amazing legs.

With games like Assassin's Creed and Guitar Hero doing so well, I don't see how you can say that. Do consider that Guitar Hero III for the PS2 is now the highest selling game in the series despite the fact that the game was on several different platforms.

sorry i worded it wrong, i meant to say it dampens the attach rate for each console, not combined. so if gta was exclusive to ps3, it would have a much higher attach rate for the console, but because it multiplatform, it's split. anyway, i just don't think the game can surpass 10-11 million worldwide combined. i could be wrong of course, but that's unlikely in my opinion.

Oh, well that makes a lot more sense.

Fair enough. 

MontanaHatchet said:

And stop being so aggressive. Damn. I might just have to call you unreasonable and ridiculous if you get any more aggressive. Oh wait...

GTAIII launched on the PS2 with a userbase of ~22 million, and within 6 months of the release of GTAIII was dropped to $199. It's not some great mystical mystery that each GTA outsold the previous one. It's because the consoles were progressively cheaper and had higher userbases.

The only way GTAIV will break 12 million on the consoles (not counting PC) is if there is no other GTA released this generation, and if you have paid any attention at all to Take 2's financials you know that's not going to be the case.

Edit: Also people remember the sandbox genre is much more contested than it used to be.  With games like Crackdown, InFamous, APB, and Prototype on the way, the GTA franchise isn't going to get the free ride it used to get.  We've already seen with CoD4 and Halo 3 that a less popular game can surpass an established franchise with high-quality and good word of mouth.

the GTA franchise isn't going to get the free ride it used to get.

Until now it seems to work quite well. The thing is that GTA4 combines being the biggest selling franchise (I think) of the last gen with being a kick-ass game with some of the best reviews ever. So we will have to wait and see. For the userbase discussion perhaps GTA will "enhance" the userbase of 360 and PS3 by a console or two .

naznatips said:
MontanaHatchet said:

GTAIII launched on the PS2 with a userbase of ~22 million, and within 6 months of the release of GTAIII was dropped to $199. It's not some great mystical mystery that each GTA outsold the previous one. It's because the consoles were progressively cheaper and had higher userbases.

The only way GTAIV will break 12 million on the consoles (not counting PC) is if there is no other GTA released this generation, and if you have paid any attention at all to Take 2's financials you know that's not going to be the case.

Edit: Also people remember the sandbox genre is much more contested than it used to be. With games like Crackdown, InFamous, APB, and Prototype on the way, the GTA franchise isn't going to get the free ride it used to get. We've already seen with CoD4 and Halo 3 that a less popular game can surpass an established franchise with high-quality and good word of mouth.

Trust me, those games won't be any competition.

Let's just wait and see who's right, shall we?