By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why GTA4 blows OoT our of the water.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Viper1 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
rocketpig said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

I am not assuming. You yourself said it or rather, didn't say it. ^_^

Oy. I'm not going to get into an assinine semantical argument about this.

Hah.  You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders.  The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this:  Never go up against Words Of Wisdom when semantics are in the thread.  ^_^

And for this bit of Princess Bride homage, we have win.

As for the clip, well, it is uber compressed Youtube audio.   Have you ever played ED?  If not, it comes highly regarded as a great piece of story and voice acting.

I've never even really heard of Eternal Darkness except in passing so I don't know much about it at all.

One of the top 5 greatest horror games of all time.   Some call the sanity effects gimmicky but damn if they didn't make for some memorable moments.  The story (must play all 3 paths for an ending that makes you go, "Hmmmm.") and voice acting were easily the best on GC and rank high overall across all consoles.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
L.C.E.C. said:
As far as I'm concerned, I'll stick with No More Heroes over GTA IV. I love artistic flare, over evolutionized (not revolutionized) gameplay.

GTA is an evolving series, unlike Zelda, which is an artistic and revolutionary series. GTA must constantly tack on features, while we only have about 2 Zelda games per console generation that focus on creativity, art, innovation, and story.

Zelda is classic. GTA is just a core game that will outshine itself and be outshined by others.

Not to mention, EA Still wants to buy Take-Two, so the "evolving" scheme would become more frequent and intentional (can you imagine GTA 2009?)

No More Heroes is about a 10 hour game, a little less or more depending on how much time you spend digging for cash, doing odd jobs, exploring, etc. It is not on the same level of scope as a GTA game.

That being said, I'm finishing NMH, and I've never felt compelled to finish a GTA game. The characters of NMH and even the environment of Santa Destroy are simply more entertaining to me personally, even if the game does seem written for a 13-16 year old audience.

GTAIII, Vice City and San Andreas all felt like I was doing chores after awhile. Ironically, your character in NMH actually does chores as a part of the game play, which I felt was more of a miss than hit. From a design perspective, it changes the pacing, allows for some humor and acts as a device to lead the player into assassination missions, but when you're cleaning graphitti off the walls of the city to earn cash as the 3rd ranked killer in the country, something is amiss. NME is a little too formulaic as you do the same tasks between every ranked match, which are very similar, due to the limited AI of the game engine. Ultimately, I found myself playing to get to the next sequence in the storyline to see who the next ranked killer would be and the related cut scenes.

Um... OoT isn't getting praised because of its technology.. but rather on how it shaped 3d gaming.. just thought i'd throw that out there, since you may not even have had anything like GTAIV (and i agree its an amazing game) if it wasn't released 10 years ago

Words Of Wisdom said:
Viper1 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
rocketpig said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

Hah.  You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders.  The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this:  Never go up against Words Of Wisdom when semantics are in the thread.  ^_^

As for the clip, well, it is uber compressed Youtube audio.   Have you ever played ED?  If not, it comes highly regarded as a great piece of story and voice acting.

I've never even really heard of Eternal Darkness except in passing so I don't know much about it at all.

For shame WoW.. Shaking my head..

trestres said:
No, no, no. Your reasoning is very bad. Could I say the same about masterpieces from Picasso, Rembrandt? Age makes them better not worse. OoT is a game that anyone can play and even now is still a masterpiece.

OoT was the game that created a revolution back there in 1998. The story is great, the graphics were great, the sound, the gameplay all fantastic.

You cant base your opinion on a game without having finished it previously and, whats worse, to say its the best of all time, you would need to finish it at least many times.
Maybe some game can overshadow the greatness of OoT, but GTA4 doesnt come even close.

I'm confused... Have you finished both OoT and GTA4 several times?

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Viper1 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
rocketpig said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

Hah. You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: Never go up against Words Of Wisdom when semantics are in the thread. ^_^

As for the clip, well, it is uber compressed Youtube audio. Have you ever played ED? If not, it comes highly regarded as a great piece of story and voice acting.

One of the top 5 greatest horror games of all time. Some call the sanity effects gimmicky but damn if they didn't make for some memorable moments. The story (must play all 3 paths for an ending that makes you go, "Hmmmm.") and voice acting were easily the best on GC and rank high overall across all consoles.

I wouldn't say gimmicy, just really easy to spot.  Not to mention you hardly ever got them unless you intentionally let your stamina drop.  They should of got rid of the negative health effects for having no sanity and ramped up sanity loss a lot... and maybe lowered magic recovery.  Seemed like your magic gauge filled fairly fast.

Still i'd put it as one of the best Gamecube games out there.  Possibly the best one.  I played through it all three ways when i got it, nonstop. 

Bodhesatva said:

And yet, all research indicates that people today are no more happy than people 20 years ago, 50 years, or more.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7336336.stm
http://www.princeton.edu/~ceps/workingpapers/125krueger.pdf
http://www.worldwatch.org/node/1785

Absolutely every single piece of research I have ever seen -- ever -- indicates that we have not gotten happier as we have gotten richer, fatter and more comfortable. There are literally hundreds of studies done on this precise subject, and they have all reached effectively the same conclusion, in every one I've read.

In other words, you are wrong.

That is a very interesting point that I totally agree with. It has nothing to do with my comment of course, but it is interesting none the less. Happiness is not synonymous with fun. Having kids will make you very happy. Having kids will not always be fun. Being married can make you very happy. Being married is not always fun.

In other words, your links have nothing to do with what I said.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Actually I feel I should make one more point about the wealth vs happiness tangent. There is a lot of evidence that people who are desperatly poor will be happier with more money up to a certain point. Essentially once you can guarantee a roof over your head, clothes on your back, and food in your stomach your happiness starts to hit a period of diminishin returns. That is, the increase in happiness asscoiated with a rise from 10k a year to 50k a year is probably greater than the happiness increase associated with going from 50k a year to 150k a year. There are short term increases in happiness asscoiated with any large windfall, but those eventually fade away.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

pearljammer said:
trestres said:
No, no, no. Your reasoning is very bad. Could I say the same about masterpieces from Picasso, Rembrandt? Age makes them better not worse. OoT is a game that anyone can play and even now is still a masterpiece.

OoT was the game that created a revolution back there in 1998. The story is great, the graphics were great, the sound, the gameplay all fantastic.

You cant base your opinion on a game without having finished it previously and, whats worse, to say its the best of all time, you would need to finish it at least many times.
Maybe some game can overshadow the greatness of OoT, but GTA4 doesnt come even close.

I'm confused... Have you finished both OoT and GTA4 several times?

NO! OMFG dont you understand what I wrote? Or are you just pretending to?

I say I can base my opininion on what I've played so far (OoT beaten more than 7 times), but he hasnt even played the game for more than 6 hours, so how can you possibly judge a game by just previewing it?

IMO as the GTA series is always roughly the same, its no contender for the best game of all time. Its funny how u do this qutes to provoke ppl, just shut up and dont annoy again.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

GTA IV would appeal to more people due to it being an action/shooter game and on two platforms (PS3/360). OoT is a RPG on a Nintendo platform.