By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why GTA4 blows OoT our of the water.

id say oot is better because...

it was revolutionary for its time... 3d world masterpiece and i believe the longest dev time biggest budget etc for a game at the time. GTA4 is an awesome game.... but its not really revolutionary. Just a very good concept honed very well. 

Around the Network
rocketpig said:

How did I know someone was going to respond with that?

Bruce works in mysterious ways.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Zelda OoT will still be consideed one of the best games in the entire history of gaming. GTA IV will not make it past this generation for consideration.

Brawl FC: 4382-1668-1880
Name:Brsch

Animal Crossing City Folk

FC: 2492-8227-9090           Town: McAwesom          Name: Gary

Add me and send me a PM with your FC!

Words Of Wisdom said:
Bodhesatva said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Bodhesatva said:

Personally, I think Chess and Go are better than both of these games. My favorite game released in the last 2-3 years is Portal, a game that hardly pushes the envelope in terms of graphical or technical complexity.

In short, games do not get better as the graphics or even the tech get better. Games likely will not be better in 10 years, just as games were not worse 10 years ago, or 100. If that weren't the case and the level of fun actually was increasing, then people who lived 50 years ago would have been having much less fun than us and people who lived 200 years ago would have died of boredom/antifun before they died of Cholera.

This isn't to say that GTA IV isn't a better game than Ocarina of Time, by the way. I haven't played the former and the latter wasn't my favorite game to begin with. Instead, I'm just pointing out that games aren't getting any better than they were, and the perception that they are is entirely that; a perception.

Yep. Games haven't gotten better at all. That's why no one buys consoles and we all sit around playing Chess and Go.

Oh wait...

Lots of people do sit around playing Chess and Go. In fact, I'd wager they're still more heavily played than any Console game on earth. Check out Yahoo Chess' statistics alone, let alone the numerous tournaments, leagues, and hobby shops dedicated singularly to Chess. Go has the same reputation in the East.

Add to the fact that those two games have been played for centuries, or in the case of Go, millenia. Have any console games been played by a large population for more than, say, 5 years? No? Then they fail. Chess and Go winn.

People spent many centuries walking behind bushes to pee and poop. Does that make the bush better than a modern toilet because it has been used longer? Of course not, it's an entirely absurd thought.

Your comparison fails for the same reason the comparison of GTA4 and OoT fails. Different times. I'd wager if all those people who were playing those games for millenia had the alternatives we have today that they would not be playing them.

None of this makes any sense, because people are still playing Chess even with more modern alternatives.

If people were still peeing and pooping behind bushes with regularity, then yes, it would absolutely be fair to conclude that these were acceptable substitutes to toilets.

Furthemore, that's an issue of technical hygeine -- a completely separate issue than fun, or endorphin release.

That really is an awful analogy, WoW. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Okay, now this is gonna sound weird... but... I'd prefer to play Ocarina over GTA4.

BUT....

If I could only bring one game to the moon, I'd bring GTA4. In that case, replay value would be the only deciding factor.

If it wasn't just those 2 games though, I'd have to take Ancient Domains of Mystery. It's a roguelike I've been playing off and on for about 10 years, and I still haven't beaten it. I could play it and nothing else for the rest of my life.

Around the Network
The Ghost of RubangB said:

If I could only bring one game to the moon, I'd bring GTA4. In that case, replay value would be the only deciding factor.

Moron. It's all about survival if you're stuck on the moon. I would take this game:

Some people just don't think these things through.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

TheRealMafoo said:

Ok, so I hear a lot of people comparing OoT to GTA4 in terms of "best game ever". Here is why I think GTA is far better then OoT.

First off, I think people really mean "Best game for its day" when they say "Best game ever". If OoT were released today, exactly as it is, and it was the first time you ever saw it, you would laugh it away as shovel ware.

FAIL right there. Even if it was released EXACTLY as it is (which is a ridiculous assumption by the way) it would still be a 9 out 10 / 4.5 out of 5 game at the least. And OoT is the ONLY Nintendo game I've finished after the SNES era (I will probably get my hands on the other Zeldas someday).

What makes you think GTAIV will stand the test of time as well a OoT has in 10 YEARS?

No one here actually believes we're having way more fun than our great grandparents, can you? Please don't tell me you're that narcissistic.

Because if games are actually getting more fun, that's the only conclusion one could draw. And again, our great great great great grandparents must have been having negative fun. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

rocketpig said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
rocketpig said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
rocketpig said:

BTW, Chess is probably a bad example to compare to videogames because it's quite possibly the greatest, most complex, and deep game ever created. That's a pretty damned high bar to set for anything else.

I notice you left "fun" off the list. Well played.

Well, fun is pretty subjective.

Personally, I think Chess is loads of fun.

Ah but you're not being honest. When you thought up that list of adjectives for Chess, fun probably didn't even occur to you. You turn around and say "Of course it's fun; Words of Wisdom you're just being silly" but the truth is that fun isn't why you play Chess.

You said it and now you can't unsay it.

Leaving out a word does not prove nor disprove my personal feeling about something, especially when I was focusing on the depth and complexity of it over my own personal sentiments.

It's rather arrogant of you to assume you know why I do or do not play a game.

I am not assuming.  You yourself said it or rather, didn't say it.  ^_^

Bodhesatva said:

No one here actually believes we're having way more fun than our great grandparents, can you? Please don't tell me you're that narcissistic.

Because if games are actually getting more fun, that's the only conclusion one could draw. And again, our great great great great grandparents must have been having negative fun.

Actually, given that America was founded by Puritans and that most posters in this thread are American, that statement has a high probability of being true.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/