By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Boards are already claiming fatal errors with BOTH versions of GTA IV.

Wait, GTA IV Is Locking Up?

What's that you say? GTA IV's only been out for a few hours, and already the internet's decided that both the PS3 and 360 versions are broken? That's what many forums - as well as many of our readers - would have you believe, with reports of the game locking up during/following the game's first cutscene, an error so severe you apparently have to unplug your console at the wall. Shades of Bully on 360, perhaps? Maybe this is a problem, maybe it's a squeaky wheel getting a month's worth of grease, who knows. Not us. We're asking Rockstar. And until we hear back from them, you all should remain calm.

Now all that's left is for the fanboys to claim that only the other version actually gets the errors.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

I am playing my version fine

woahhh, thats gay

Well, I called it (assuming this *is* true) - but I'll be very surprised if many PS3 owners report issues - unless its purely due to a dodgy manufacturing batch, or something like that.

360 machines, now I *can* imagine GTA4 causing just a few RRoD and drive failures...

Anyway - time for the news, then some MK :)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

The anecdotal evidence seems to be that this occurs more often in 60 GB PS3s, and that freezing is more common in multiplayer mode. It's also supposed to happen on the 360 though.

Maybe it's just a few isolated cases which would be expected on a game which has probably sold millions already, or maybe not. Time will tell.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Anyone here on VG able to report first hand one of these crash issues? That's the sort of evidence I'll find more convincing.

Heck, a 0.1% failure rate (1 in 1000) for 6m sales... 6000 faulty copies!

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

NJ5 said:
The anecdotal evidence seems to be that this occurs more often in 60 GB PS3s, and that freezing is more common in multiplayer mode. It's also supposed to happen on the 360 though.

Maybe it's just a few isolated cases which would be expected on a game which has probably sold millions already, or maybe not. Time will tell.
actually I ve been playing the game on my 60GB for the past 4 hours and it runs perfectly(load times are really short).The game is great I just don't know how to get guns yet,,,lol I m  new to the franchise

I don't want to be a total ass, but reports are stating its the PS3 thats having issues

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=187902

http://www.gamezine.co.uk/news/game-types/shooter/ps3-owners-report-freezing-errors-on-gta-iv-$1220708.htm

I just quickly googled GTA and Freezing and those are the two news articles that popped up about the issue. Mind you its 7:50am and maybe the 360 articles will come out at some point later today.

Looking at the xbox.com forums and the few (I only saw two on the first two pages) describe RRoD's about to happen and not random fatal errors.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

first time i played the game on my ps3 it freezed all the time.. but after installing 3.3 gb i was sure that it just was the hd that had a hard time so i slept 6 hours and woke up and been playing since without a hitch or anything... works great...i keep killing the hospital waiting room x.x ...cant stop.

on a 60gb pal ps3 btw

Xbox360 and Ps3 owner

I spit in your mouth at nite

i have a launch 60gb ps3, haven't had a single hitch. apparently it's an isolated issue due to a faulty batch of discs. no reports of any uk/PAL versions failing either. so there's more proof to suggest it's isolated