By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Star Ocean 4 confirmed PS3 exclusive in latest OXM interview

That could get me to buy a PS3.

Around the Network
chris100185 said:
That could get me to buy a PS3.

I didn't play the first few Star Oceans, but I really liked the PS2 installment. The signs have been pointing to this, so I am not particularly surprised if this turns out to be true.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

I'd love to play Star Ocean, but Wii or not, I'm not sure if I'd buy it unless their was some super amazing stuff done, but Star Ocean 3 was amazingly detailed 2 was freaking fun and 1 was well the source of 2 and stuff.

It's mixed feelings for me on this title, but my motto is not to support devs who think graphics is the end all, that's how companys like EA come around, they don't even shoot for graphics anymore... freakin' EA.

If this comes out on the Wii I'd wait till my friends talk about it, if it comes out for the PS3 then I won't be buying it =/ my P3 is strictly for playing PS2 games (Monster Hunter), browsing the internet, and watching previews and playing demos to things I probably won't buy, such is the life of a system which is awesome but who's controler is made of fail.

My left analog broke =(, I think it's like $80 USD to get another =(, So I'm just going to wait till the PS3mote is released.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

naznatips said:
The Fury said:
@Naz
So a Dragon Quest game on the current popular console did well, I am shocked.

Star Ocean is not as big as Dragon Quest but has sales and fans in it's own right. First weekly release of near 400,000 for 2 of it's 3 games isn't bad surely(the other being remakes)?

A spin-off rails slasher did 500K, which is "okay," not good, for Japan. 400K is definitely not good when it only manages to pull off an additional 150K in the rest of its life.

you have to understand that core games do their biggest sales in their first few weeks and make a sharp drop after that, this fact is especially true in Japan.

Star Ocean 4 being on the PS3 wouldn't suprise me since the series has an established audience with the playstation crowd just like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid do

Around the Network
Riachu said:
naznatips said:
The Fury said:
@Naz

Star Ocean is not as big as Dragon Quest but has sales and fans in it's own right. First weekly release of near 400,000 for 2 of it's 3 games isn't bad surely(the other being remakes)?

A spin-off rails slasher did 500K, which is "okay," not good, for Japan. 400K is definitely not good when it only manages to pull off an additional 150K in the rest of its life.

you have to understand that core games do their biggest sales in their first few weeks and make a sharp drop after that, this fact is especially true in Japan.

Star Ocean 4 being on the PS3 wouldn't suprise me since the series has an established audience with the playstation crowd just like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid do

Crowds follow games. If Star Ocean 4 made its way to the Wii, the hardcore Star Ocean fans would pick it up for the Wii just like they would for any other system.

It's not the established fanbase that the company needs to target, it's the untapped potential fanbase.

If it goes to the PS3, okay. It's that the reasons stated are not good ones. The PS3 is not entitled to the series just because of the last two systems. It's Tri-Ace's choice, not some obligation.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Words Of Wisdom said:

Crowds follow games. If Star Ocean 4 made its way to the Wii, the hardcore Star Ocean fans would pick it up for the Wii just like they would for any other system.

It's not the established fanbase that the company needs to target, it's the untapped potential fanbase.

That speech is shockingly similar to Capcom's statements about Monster Hunter 3 on Wii.

naznatips said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

That speech is shockingly similar to Capcom's statements about Monster Hunter 3 on Wii.

I think the target for tri-Ace for SO4 if the game is indeed PS3 exclusive or maybe even mulitplat would be both the established fanbase and the untapped potential.  In terms of sales, that seems to be how Star Ocean works for SE and tri-Ace

Words Of Wisdom said:
Riachu said:
naznatips said:
The Fury said:
@Naz

True. If your a diehard fan of a series... which to me seems most common to RPGs. Your Shin Megami Tensei, your Suikoden, Star Ocean... whatever... fans are going to buy whatever system it's out for. Cause they are big fans after all.

Well unless your broke.