By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How many of you really own a PS3?

Arrogance is bliss... wait that doesn't seem right ;) Anyways, in answer to the actually topic of the thread, I've had my PS3 since jan 07 and I love it. I went ahead and jumped in with both feet as an early adopter, which I have never done before. I even got the biggest 1080p TV I could afford and all. I enjoy everything that my PS3 can do, all of the things that many try to say were a waste of money are, point in fact the very features that make it so valuable. I can watch 1080p BD movies, stream audio/video between my PC and PSP, anywhere on the planet that is WiFi. I've got my bluetooth headset, keyboard and mouse. I get to surf the web on a big ass TV without have to buy anything extra for my laptop, along with free access to the PSN and online play. And in the end, I know that all the games I'll ever want will be coming my machine.

Around the Network

I purchased two PS3 consoles at launch and sold one right away (only to pay for the second one because common they are expensive). With the cash i made off of the first one i purchased Tony Hawks Project 8 and Resistance and an HDMI cable. I played through both games completely and enjoyed them both (the only challenging TH title i've played for a long long time). Had to make some quick money in April because of a tax error i made the previous year, so unfortunately the easiest way to do so was to sell the PS3. I enjoyed it while it lasted but have to admit that right now i dont miss it. When Assasins Creed and Heavenly Sword come out i'm sure i'll feel the sting again though.

Blue3 said:

alot of the biggest PS3 haters on here have posted they cant affored.

Its like BMW owner being called assholes on car forums, people have no good reason other then they drive expensive cars thus they are assholes in the eyes of those that cant afford them.

People fear what they dont know and they hate what they can't affored.

You know that Consoles aren't the most imporant thing in a persons life right? I mean there's a difference between having the money to buy a PS3, and having the money that you wouldn't mind spending on a PS3, and that's a huge difference! Why? Because lots of people would rather buy a 360, Wii or PS2, which not only cost less, but are also considered by many to offer better gaming experiences.

So unless your arguing that everyone who doesn't have  enough purely disposable income to purchase every single console ever made is poor, than your arguments are as flawed as your demeaner is offensive and unconstructive. Could you please treat other users with some respect?  

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

I could pick up a PS3 tomorrow at any store I visit. But it isn't worth $600 to me. The game offering is too slim at the moment. This fall would be another story if they drop the price. But I can't see myself buying a PS3 for more than 400 bucks, even when it has killer games like MGS4 and FFXIII and Team ICO's next game. Well, ok, maybe Team ICO's game. But I'd do it grudgingly!

So why are non Ps3 owners still posting ?

Around the Network

Because the thread is called "How many of you really own a PS3?" and not "The Thread for only people who own a PS3". And you know that. You're push'n it too far dude. Quit it now.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

rockstarjerry981 said:
Holy crap, half of the PS3's WW owners are on this site, and thats not saying much.

Hillarious...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

I don't own a PS3. Here is my opinion of why it isn't as popular as the other consoles: It was released in November (some places) for $600. The XBOX 360 was already being sold in those places, for $400. The XBOX 360 has pretty much identical graphics (of course, this can be argued). The XBOX 360 already had plenty of great games for sale. So really, why would you pay $200 extra for less games? Just to get a Blu-ray player? You're right, the PS3 is an incredible machine, but so is a Ferrari. By selling PS3 at a loss, they are basically selling a Ferrari for the price of a Jaguar. A great bargain, but still too expensive for most people.

I've owned one since early december, i also have 5 games for the system, i got mine pretty cheap off ebay, it came in under retail when the taxes are added if i went to the store, i just had to drive 1 hour to get it. My brother owns a 360 and everytime i play it i always fear the 3 redlights. The games look pretty much the same for each console, but they are two differrent styles of graphics, the xbox has odd lighting that can be seen in every game and it has some odd colours ingame aswell, This can be seen in games that use to much shaders and shadows get in the way of textures, the xbox also uses bright lighting effects to hide the bad texture effects, this was the same thing that was used on the last generations games to make them look better than the hardware would allow. The PS3 has more real life graphics, everything has the right lighting and feel to it. look at any 360 game and you will know what i'm talking about.

HappySqurriel said:

Personally I could afford a PS3, but I do think it is remarkably foolish to spend $600 on a gaming system which will be obsolete (as compared to PCs) within 12 months,

Exactly. The problem is: Sony tries to push it as an Entertainment Center for the living room and they simply lost the originial reason (a gaming console as a successor for the PS-2) out of their sight. The problem is that PCs can evolve, gaming consoles can't. The PS-3 is forced to play to many games at the same time.

At the moment it is simply one of the best BluRay players (which will change once the first players with dedicated hardware will be finished). The current games are in fact nothing special. The only decent game at the moment (IMHO) "Motorstorm", although it doesn't hold your atttention for a long time. Once you have found the best route it looses much of its appeal. I find it really surprising how much appeal PS-2 and even games for the old Xbox still have!

I am not really convinced if the step to the HD world is such a good solution for the gaming market, with the exception fo Microsoft, which have mainly financial reasons for this push. But their console is much better equipped for downgraded PC-games