By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How many of you really own a PS3?

how is actuly playing the ps3 on a 1080p, and how is playing it on a standar tv? i own a 42" Sharp Aquos 1080p LCD and the games really look good

Around the Network
Tispower said:
 I fear what's going to happen for the xBox, possibly the Wii, does that mean with improved graphics we are going to get even less game for our money.

Not really. In fact compression functions for textures are being improved all the time, not due to disc space reasons, but to keep transfer times and memory consumption to a bare minimum. In fact a major disadvantage for the PS-3 is the cell. While the PPE is more or less like a Core of the Xenon (although only one instead of two AltiVec Units), but its SPEs need much more work. Either you use them with high level functions in a rather ineffective way, or the developers have a lot of work at their hands, to even try some "improvements". This will be a major factor for the development costs on the PS-3.

Diomedes1976 said:
Narfer said:
DonWii said:
Well, I would say this is one reason why it doesnt sell well ," its really not that expensive for a bluray player". I agree, it isnt. But I am more interested in the gaming aspects of it, rather than the entertainment parts. Not everyone can afford one. It is a great piece of hardware, however, just ahead of its time. I will be getting one, but not until late 2008, when there should be a significant price drop/better software.

Exactly.  Microsoft are trying to turn the consoles into computers, and releasing a new one every day is a good start, not working though.  Sony is focusing on multimedia, basically trying to sell their console for non gaming features. The reason why Microsoft love to say the Wii is trying to target different audiences is not because the Wii is targeting little kids or nongamers, but because the Wii is actually the ONLY console targeting core gamers.  A core gamer (not hardcore, just core) is anybody looking to play any type of video games.  Thats what nintendo is doing, focusing on gaming.  God bless Nintendo.

Curious then that Nintendo itself through the voices of Iwata and George Harrison said they are focusing in causal gamers.Odd that Ubi has created a brand for casual games specifically for the Wii and DS .Bizarre that the games that sell the most are casual games.Amazing that most hardcore gamers dont want to see the Wii anywhere their HDTVs .Mindblowing that analysts say the Wii is headed for the casual market .

PS3 may have a plethora of multimedia options ,but its still a game console .One year down we will see wich console has more hardcore games ...the PS3 or the Wii .

Not this "casual" vs "hardcore" semantics again. Listen, there is no point in using such vague terminology as "hardcore" or "casual", as each somehow mysteriously changes in meaning depending on the person using it which that only makes it all the more frustrating when anyone tries to use it objectively like this to define any aspect of gaming. Honestly, who decides what is "hardcore"? Is it you? Is it me? Is it the content? Is it the play value or the amount of blood and guts? Is it the most games with a M rating? Or is it whatever the company tells you? 

I don't honestly see the pride in claiming "hardcore" to begin with and in this case it just seems like its being used as an excuse to justify a poor selling system's increasingly limited gaming demographic, "We don't have the best selling system but we're still the most hard core system!", like that's worth anything. Since when was "hardcore" the measure of any standard of a better system or a better gaming experience? Using "Hardore", quite honestly, makes a person sound like a 13 year old who values action and explosions above all other aspects of the game.

Listen I don't care if you're a Sony fan, an MS fan or a Nintendo fan, using such vague and subjective terminology to define your gaming world and its values is just pointless and quite honestly childish. It's no different than how in the last gen it was alright for the PS2 to have inferior graphics but now the Wii is taking flack for what was once just fine for the PS2, "Graphics don't matter, its the games!". People are just trying to make up the rules as you go to justify whatever system they've chosen and this crap about "hardcore" vs "casual" is no different. And honestly, using if we have to stick a solid definition to "Casual", I'd have to say that the PS2 was the definition of "casual" gaming last gen because of its broad appeal, but now aparently you're trying to act like Sony has always been "hardcore" and that's the way it always should be and that's what's going to save them now. Funny how the perception of "Hardcore" and "Casual" has suddenly changed to suit the PS3's situation.

All in all, "Hardcore" just seems like an excuse here for a system selling less and its fans needing a reason, any reason to still think they're the best.

My friend has a PS3 with Resistance and Motorstorm and he's very happy with his choice. I'll be getting mine in 2 weeks.

don`t make this thread to "why i don`t own a ps3". if you own one, then write.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

I was just commenting on something said here, that's all.

dont make this thread a fight about, ps3 price or best visuals, this was ment to people no only how own a ps3 but the experience with it, good, bad why? for my part i really have a good experience with the ps3 because i can wacht divx movies on it, play music, dvd scaling, good games like resistens and im felling in the future good things to come like for one warhack

betsfro said:
dont make this thread a fight about, ps3 price or best visuals, this was ment to people no only how own a ps3 but the experience with it, good, bad why? for my part i really have a good experience with the ps3 because i can wacht divx movies on it, play music, dvd scaling, good games like resistens and im felling in the future good things to come like for one warhack

I wasn't the one who stray from topic, I was merely responding to someone else who had gone off topic in regards to the off topic subject of terminology, not the PS3, don't make this a matter of me bashing the PS3 or lashing out because it wasn't, as far as I'm concerned its over, if you still want to keep it lingering with posts like this that's your choice though and won't be on my head.

whats ur PSN cklbl i think that your name

anyway i have a ps3 since december and i enjoy it. its not my most favorite because of online and software but it will improve

i do agree with some people. there are three types of people that dont want PS3

1. Fanboys

2. People that wants one but are turned off by the price and fear that its not that much different then 360

3. People who really doesnt need one because of it not being different than 360

I though Sony fanboys wanted a PS3