By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FFXII: What's the verdict?

For $20, yeah get it. I enjoyed the game, but some things I didn't like was the story and good character build up/development. The characters seem like they have no personality whatsoever. The story is boring. I would fall asleep during every cutscene. Also The only characters that I liked was Balthier and Fran. This game is the weakest out of the main Final Fantasy titles. The battle system was pretty good.

Around the Network

I think the game was good. I bought ff1 when it first came out and it is still one of my favorite games of all time. i have played nearly everyone since then, and have to say, ff12 was good. The story was not that bad, in fact, i thought it was way better than ff10 with the whole sinergy thing. I dont get the complaints, i thought there were some good characters and some weak ones, but overall it was very good.

The battle system was awesome. It was so much funner than the old random fight screen and unmovable characters. The gambit system was an excellent idea and the license board was innovative. Lots of weapons and armor, a lot of side quests (hunts), and challenging fights. I think it is an excellent buy.

konnichiwa said:

The persons who played and loved FFI till FFVI HATE FFVII.
The persons who played and loved FFVII till FFX HATE FFXII

Fascinating isn't it?

I am kind of special I loved almost every FF except FFVII and FFXII.

In my opinion FFXII IS NOT A BAD GAME but people were dissapointed in it especially about the Story.

If this game was not a FF game people would probably say 'Hey try that game out it is not the best RPG ever but it is quite okay.

Not true. I hate II, VII, VIII, X-2 XI, and XII. I like I, III, IV, V, VI, IX and X. Well hate is a bit strong. Dislike would be a better word...except for VII.

@twesterm

mario.....no...that was a crappy example..sorry

but FPS YES...COD4 had a story.maybe generic but the way it was presented and told was awesome...then we have bioshock..

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I have a feeling that some people are not giving FFXII a fair chance(I am not talking about the people that did give the game a fair chance, even if XII was not their cup of tea)

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
@Red*Pokemon*trainer

thats why my expectations from FFXIII are MUCH higher!

Yeah with FFXIII it seems they're trying to recreate what FFVII did by wanting the main character design be influenced by Cloud and i have no doubts that this game will reinvigorate the franchise.Overall the game looks to be better than FFVXIII and X,which was probably the second best FF i've played.

darthdevidem01 said:
@twesterm

mario.....no...that was a crappy example..sorry

but FPS YES...COD4 had a story.maybe generic but the way it was presented and told was awesome...then we have bioshock..

You missed my point. Sure, there are FPS games out there that actually do have a story and some are even good (hint: COD 4 isn't one of them) but that's not why you play the game. you play a FPS because of the gameplay (and the type of gameplay varies depending on the game). You don't play COD4 for its story; I would be surprised if most of the people that played it even remember the story beyond mmm get those terrorist!! You play COD4 for its well done gameplay.

The reason why you play and invest 100+ hours in an RPG is for its story, characters, and music. Sure, good gameplay is always a plus but if I want action I'll go find an action game that does everything better. FFXII may not have bad gameplay but the story and characters just aren't worth investing the time in and that's the problem. It's a mediocre action game and a bad RPG.

-edit-

Also, you can sit there and tell me until you're blue in the face that after 20 hours the story and characters are amazing but it just doesn't matter.

The game may very well be amazing after the 20 hour mark, I don't know, but taking 20 hours to get to the actual good part of the game is just a complete and utter failure.  It shouldn't take a game 20 hours to grab your attention and finally get to a good part.  It doesn't matter how good everything is after 20 hours, it could be the most amazing story ever with awesomely developed characters, it doesn't matter because most people aren't going to sit through 20 hours of a bad game.

darthdevidem01 said:
@Kasz216

I think because of majority of the people thinking like you FFXII under-performed....also you are talking as if the tactics team is crap....I accept that the FF team didn't make FFXII but give the tactics some credit for the great innovations...

beside Star wars has a very deep story...so copying it isn't exactly bad

& if every RPG is about an empire falling apart, every FPS is about a war, every mario is about saving the kidnapped princess peach..

but all of those types of games have excelled and are excelling..

Nah, the tactics team is great. They just suck at storytelling, though Tactics Ogre was great. Final Fantasy Tactics story sucked and so did 12's.

As far as gameplay goes they're awesome. Gameplay wise it was my third favorite main final fantasy game... and my 5th favorite Final Fantasy game period. With Tactics being 2. Behind Advance Tactics.

Also FF12 blew away my expectations on everything side from the story.

Paying homage to Star Wars isn't bad. Ripping it off badly however is... much how Star Wars is a collection of things that George Lucas saw before. He made it not so damn obvious.

Yeah, that's my point. Well most FPS games are about War and most are about saving the princess. To say that the story was unique because it's about a powerful empire crumbling would be like me saying Mario Galaxy's story is original because it's about Princess Peach being kidnapping.

Without the story, or with the story... it's an amazing game... the story is so bad though it's a negative.  No story would of been better.  Like if they would of gave me 5 guys and said "hey lets go kill all the monsters and be famous!" and that was it... that would of been a better story. 

Red*Pokemon*Trainer said:
darthdevidem01 said:
@Red*Pokemon*trainer

thats why my expectations from FFXIII are MUCH higher!

Yeah with FFXIII it seems they're trying to recreate what FFVII did by wanting the main character design be influenced by Cloud and i have no doubts that this game will reinvigorate the franchise.Overall the game looks to be better than FFVXIII and X,which was probably the second best FF i've played.

Lightning is actually modeled after Cloud just instead of being a pansy they decided to actually make the character a woman.  I'm pretty sure I read in an interview somewhere that they did say Lightning was modeled heavily off of Cloud so they could cash-in on the success (I may have added that part).

FFXII may not have bad gameplay but the story and characters just aren't worth investing the time in and that's the problem. It's a mediocre action game and a bad RPG.

This from the guy who didn't get 20 hours in? You can criticize it for starting slow (and it does, though I'd say it's the first 3-5 hours rather than the first 15), but you have no place judging its story or characters.