By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FFXII: What's the verdict?

Ok Twesterm let me try to explain what I mean when I say "Visual character development".

I'm going to use Vaan as an example here, and the scene when he's getting on baord Balthiers airship for the first time. When he sits down in the ship and it takes off, Vaan's face lights up, and he thinks "I'm coming Penelo". Now right then I saw two things in his face, first is the obvious, he is both excited to be in an airship and going to save Penelo at the same time. But the second thing I see is why he wants to be a sky pirate, one reason is that he wants to be free from all of the pain and sadness that haunts him on the ground, another reason is he wants to use the freedom of a sky pirate to help those in need, like with Penelo.

Now your probably thinking at this point "how the hell can you see all of that with one expression" , well I'm an independent film maker and I've been trained to read expressions on peoples faces, and come to see what they mean. And this is really the first Final Fantasy were the expressions have been good enough for me to be able to do that. Now I admit that not a whole lot of people will see this, and not even give this a second thought. But this is what I mean when I say "visual character development", I hope that this made sense, because its really hard to explain.

Also I'm not really trying to convice you to like FFXII or anything, you've already made up your mind about the game, and who am I to change it. Oh and I'm 23 years old by the way, and no I dont think I'm king of the world, far from it actually.

Around the Network
ookaze said:
Kasz216 said:

Refrenced. Not outright stole most of it. They named a couple guys Vicks(Biggs) and Wedge... nothing big.

http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/excross.shtml#starwars

'nuff said.

Yeah, that all seems minor compared to 12.

I find it odd that they assume that the enterprise name is definitly a ripoff of the starship enterprise as well. It could just as likely be a ripoff of the USS Enterprise. The most important ship in the US navy in WW2. Which is where i assume Star Trek got the name from.

Refrences like that are like salt... or any spice really.  Great and enhances the final product when used sparringly, when overused it completely ruins what you are trying to do. 

Lamace said:

Ok Twesterm let me try to explain what I mean when I say "Visual character development".

I'm going to use Vaan as an example here, and the scene when he's getting on baord Balthiers airship for the first time. When he sits down in the ship and it takes off, Vaan's face lights up, and he thinks "I'm coming Penelo". Now right then I saw two things in his face, first is the obvious, he is both excited to be in an airship and going to save Penelo at the same time. But the second thing I see is why he wants to be a sky pirate, one reason is that he wants to be free from all of the pain and sadness that haunts him on the ground, another reason is he wants to use the freedom of a sky pirate to help those in need, like with Penelo.

Now your probably thinking at this point "how the hell can you see all of that with one expression" , well I'm an independent film maker and I've been trained to read expressions on peoples faces, and come to see what they mean. And this is really the first Final Fantasy were the expressions have been good enough for me to be able to do that. Now I admit that not a whole lot of people will see this, and not even give this a second thought. But this is what I mean when I say "visual character development", I hope that this made sense, because its really hard to explain.

Also I'm not really trying to convice you to like FFXII or anything, you've already made up your mind about the game, and who am I to change it. Oh and I'm 23 years old by the way, and no I dont think I'm king of the world, far from it actually.

So your theory is that you need to be trained to appreciate the story. Yeah... you don't need to take a class in something to appreciate a good story. You need to take a class and be trained in something to figure out what the hell someone was trying to do.

I think your looking a little too much into it, like the people who look for some deep meaning in a little kids painting abstract paintings.

In the end your likely just imposing your own thoughts about what you think he should be feeling on to him. (and in some cases... what you are feeling.)

i haven't gotten around to it, does it have the sphere grid? if so i am there if not i will pass

mesoteto said:
i haven't gotten around to it, does it have the sphere grid? if so i am there if not i will pass

No, it's a grid system. Basically as you kill enemies you get LP (liscense points) which you use to buy the abiltity to equip better items,(if you own them), cast better spells (if you buy them), gain stat boosts etc.

You have limited choice in what to upgrade, but more then most as it's a board... basically you can only move to a liscnese next to one you've unlocked already.  I can see how it'd be a pain for some... even probably a lot of RPG fans.  But I liked it.  Could of used a bit more differences between the characters... but i think they fixed that in the international edition right?

It's really pretty decent fun. Honestly it makes me wish i would of bought Final Fantasy 11 instead of 12. Well not really since i refuse to pay a monthly fee for a game... but if they released a standalone offline version i'd totally spend all day on that.

Around the Network

It is the second worst FF game. The worst problem for me is the pacing and the methods they use to make game longer (like selling loot for money, teleport crystal placement, hunts, crappy XP).

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

Kasz216 said:
Lamace said:

So your theory is that you need to be trained to appreciate the story. Yeah... you don't need to take a class in something to appreciate a good story. You need to take a class and be trained in something to figure out what the hell someone was trying to do.

I think your looking a little too much into it, like the people who look for some deep meaning in a little kids painting abstract paintings.

In the end your likely just imposing your own thoughts about what you think he should be feeling on to him. (and in some cases... what you are feeling.)

Well maybe I am looking too much into it, but like any good art you have to look beyond what you see with your eyes.

And I thought that it was kind of obvious what Vaan was thinking of in my example, first of all the Pain that he wants to leave behind "Parents deaths, brothers murder, home taken over, have to obay opressors, ect.", and "he wants to help out those in need" I thought that was obvious from the begining, like when Panella quotes Vaan saying "return to the poeple whats thiers", that one line tells you quite alot about Vaan.

And no you dont have to have training to appreciat a good story, but it does help.  Its like watching a martial arts tournament, while you can still enjoy and appreciat it with out any formal training, you enjoy and appreciat it more if you have had training.

One thing that I've come to notice throughout this thread, is that FFXII's story isn't lacking in substance, but more so emotion. While that does make me somewhat wary, I feel that I'll probably enjoy the game despite this.

Yes, that's a pretty fair assessment. Although there are some hard-hitting scenes here and there, especially toward the end. And the game is worth playing for Balthier alone.