By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you use a strategy guide when playing video games?

I'll admit that I caved in a few times and used gamefaqs during the third Phoenix Wright game. And after I've beaten a game, I'll often browse through a strategy guide to see if there's anything I missed. But in general, I prefer to play the game without one, so that I'm eternally surprised at what's coming next.

But hey, it's your life, and games are meant to be fun. If a strategy guide helps you enjoy a game the most, more power to you!

(I'll just have a little less respect for you and your noobish ways...Just kidding)

Around the Network
ecurbj said:
What can I do to finish these games in my sig faster. I like them but I just can't seem to finish them, because I'm always tired when I get home from work. I work at the hospital btw guys....

You can just play them without a guide, and if find yourself stuck somewhere, hit up gamefaqs. They're usually spoiler-free, so you'll never have the experience ruined again.*

*Beyond knowing that you suck at games. I kid! I kid! I'll stop now. 

I'll sometimes consult GameFAQs, but only if I'm reallyreally stuck on something for long enough that trying to figure it out by myself isn't fun anymore.

There are too many awesome games waiting for my attention for me to spend much time on unrewarding activities like being stuck. =P

Parokki said:
Only if I'm reallyreally stuck on something for long enough that trying to figure it out by myself isn't fun anymore.

There are too many awesome games waiting for my attention for me to spend much time on unrewarding activities like being stuck. =P

being stuck is like the worst feeling ever

I usually don't use strategy guides or anything, only if I get really stuck, or I already beat the game and looked for most of the stuff, and just wanna see what else there is^^ Usually I don't wanna get through the game faster, I just want to go slow and enjoy it, but not if I'm stuck >.> that's no fun.

I don't care if other people use them, as long as they don't ruin anything for me^^ I had to ask my brother for help on the second Pheonix Wright game ; ; but only 'cause it was my first one, after that I was alright. (I think, I forget)

The Mother 3 Fan Translation is done! Everyone go get it right now! (Mother3.fobby.net)

Play Earthbound for the SNES ; ; Do it, it's awesome!

Proud participater of this year's Wii Secret Santa event! Hopefully you'll join the merriment next year!
Link below because I fail at embedding urls.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=51169&page=1

Around the Network

For RPG's I read strategy guides constantly. They are designed with missable items for multiple playthroughs. It's an antiquated design, and walkthrough counter it perfectly.

FFXII and the Zodiac sphere is a perfect example.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I don't usually have the attention span to do the things that I'd need a strategy guide for (finding hidden items, getting 100% completion in RPGs and GTA games, etc), so no.

I'll use them if I'm incredibly stuck, really hate a game but want to beat it, or am playing through a second time. And only Gamefaqs; why pay for what's free (and often more comprehensive) online?

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

blaydcor said:
I'll use them if I'm incredibly stuck, really hate a game but want to beat it, or am playing through a second time. And only Gamefaqs; why pay for what's free (and often more comprehensive) online?

but I prefer guides so u don't have to run to ur comp every 5 minutes

even if print it out, guides are more colorful (have pics) 

yes, when I get stuck in a part and the failures are very frustrating, I find no other choice but to read a FAQ instead of breaking my controller

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!