By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you use a strategy guide when playing video games?

dsoverpsp said:
ToastyJaguar said:
I enjoy a good strategy guide, it's quite helpful and sometimes i like to flow through the game quickly which is still fun, when other times i want to do the stuff on my own.

Obviously we all use strategy guides when we get brutally stuck in a game.

not rlly

sometimes, i just simply stop playing that game 

But what if it was Super Mario Galaxy or Final Fantasy XIII. You would still play it right.

Thats what I feel about the Metal Gear Solid's I'm playing right now. Some parts are hard but I still want to play them because they are anticpating games.

Around the Network
salaminizer said:

haha Phoenix Wright/Apollo is a perfect example. I have used FAQ's for every game. once in a while I used the save-try-reset method because of the "life bar", and when I thought I really could figure it out without trying every single piece of evidence. and most of the time I had already figured the plot, so it was just a matter of following what exactly the game wants.

I tried that, and that failed. That game was just fustrating.Thats why its sitting on Gamestop used shelf right now. I will come back to it after I enjoy New Super Mario Bros., Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and a few others.

A Strategy Guide? No, I would never use a strategy guide to help me with a game, But in those cases where I get stuck for days in a certain spot of the game, I may need help
but overall I don't use guides that much

RPGs basically require strategy guides. If you want the most out of your game, you'll need to use it. FFXII is the most notorious case for me. The damn checkerboard of stats. I would never know which way to head if it weren't for a map in a guide that showed me what was under each square. Not to mention that you can't even acquire the final weapon in the game without the help of a guide. Great game, but should have come with it's strategy guide for free like Earthbound did.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

If a game has been out awhile, you can sometimes find a spoiler free version of a walkthrough. I have used them before. Usually only after I've beaten a game once, but sometimes after being stuck for a couple of days.

Around the Network

I have used a strategy guide when I am on my third or fourth play through and am trying to collect everything. The only reason I buy them is so my sisters don't constantly bug me to help them get through parts.

i use gamefaqs once in awhile mostly for missions in the GTAs that are really hard to beat other than that beat the game by myself....

I think strategy guides are for kids, old ladies and only suitable for 2nd playthroughs.

Only on a 2nd playthrough or if I'm not planning a 2nd playthrough.

to my eternal shame, i referred one such guide to obtain the fire arrows in ocarina of time.
but only because the end of my vacation was upon me and i was getting stuck for no mistake of my own.
other than that, guides are for wussies

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murders will foam up about their waist and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"...

....and I'll look down and whisper  "no."  

- Rorschach