By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you use a strategy guide when playing video games?

I only use strategy guides for RPG's those games are so long and boring. I need help to get through it quicker.

Around the Network
salaminizer said:

yes, when I get stuck in a part and the failures are very frustrating, I find no other choice but to read a FAQ instead of breaking my controller

when i get stuck, I want to throw the entire console itself!!!

noname2200 said:

(I'll just have a little less respect for you and your noobish ways...Just kiddingWink)

*Beyond knowing that you suck at games. I kid! I kid! I'll stop now.

*ecurbj begins to cry*

dsoverpsp said:
blaydcor said:
I'll use them if I'm incredibly stuck, really hate a game but want to beat it, or am playing through a second time. And only Gamefaqs; why pay for what's free (and often more comprehensive) online?

but I prefer guides so u don't have to run to ur comp every 5 minutes

even if print it out, guides are more colorful (have pics) 

I do agree with you on that^^ My favorite is Earthbound's :3 I mean they have pictures of cookies! and other stuff >.>

The Mother 3 Fan Translation is done! Everyone go get it right now! (Mother3.fobby.net)

Play Earthbound for the SNES ; ; Do it, it's awesome!

Proud participater of this year's Wii Secret Santa event! Hopefully you'll join the merriment next year!
Link below because I fail at embedding urls.

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=51169&page=1

noname2200 said:
I'll admit that I caved in a few times and used gamefaqs during the third Phoenix Wright game. And after I've beaten a game, I'll often browse through a strategy guide to see if there's anything I missed. But in general, I prefer to play the game without one, so that I'm eternally surprised at what's coming next.

But hey, it's your life, and games are meant to be fun. If a strategy guide helps you enjoy a game the most, more power to you!

(I'll just have a little less respect for you and your noobish ways...Just kidding)

I got so mad at that game (Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations). I took it back to Gamestop. Because I would always fail when it would Phoenix turn to try and contradict the person.

And I didn't want to use a strategy guide because the stratey guide takes a lot of fun away from that game.

Around the Network

I enjoy a good strategy guide, it's quite helpful and sometimes i like to flow through the game quickly which is still fun, when other times i want to do the stuff on my own.

Obviously we all use strategy guides when we get brutally stuck in a game.

ToastyJaguar said:
I enjoy a good strategy guide, it's quite helpful and sometimes i like to flow through the game quickly which is still fun, when other times i want to do the stuff on my own.

Obviously we all use strategy guides when we get brutally stuck in a game.

not rlly

sometimes, i just simply stop playing that game 

ecurbj said:
noname2200 said:
I'll admit that I caved in a few times and used gamefaqs during the third Phoenix Wright game. And after I've beaten a game, I'll often browse through a strategy guide to see if there's anything I missed. But in general, I prefer to play the game without one, so that I'm eternally surprised at what's coming next.

But hey, it's your life, and games are meant to be fun. If a strategy guide helps you enjoy a game the most, more power to you!

(I'll just have a little less respect for you and your noobish ways...Just kidding)

I got so mad at that game (Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations). I took it back to Gamestop. Because I would always fail when it would Phoenix turn to try and contradict the person.

And I didn't want to use a strategy guide because the stratey guide takes a lot of fun away from that game.

No one can blame you for that. While the bulk of the clues were pretty logical, there were more than a few occasions where you had a clue that was much better and more to the point than the one the game wanted you to submit. 

"No you idiot, I'm picking the paintings to prove that she's been forging stuff all this time. Fine, what am I supposed to pi...the coffee cup? Really? Alright, this I've got to see."

*Ten minutes of needless exposition later*

"And that's why these paintings prove she's been doing something criminal."

*bangs head on the wall*

Although if you ever want to try it again, I can point you to a spoiler free guide on gamefaqs. Trust me, the last two cases are *so* worth it...

noname2200 said:
ecurbj said:
noname2200 said:

No one can blame you for that. While the bulk of the clues were pretty logical, there were more than a few occasions where you had a clue that was much better and more to the point than the one the game wanted you to submit. 

"No you idiot, I'm picking the paintings to prove that she's been forging stuff all this time. Fine, what am I supposed to pi...the coffee cup? Really? Alright, this I've got to see."

*Ten minutes of needless exposition later*

"And that's why these paintings prove she's been doing something criminal."

*bangs head on the wall*

Although if you ever want to try it again, I can point you to a spoiler free guide on gamefaqs. Trust me, the last two cases are *so* worth it...

I will buy it again. Because looking at naznatips avatar is so convincing me to try it again. It was okay but like you said I wanted to choose what best fit me. And if I got it wrong and I notice the green bar was going down. I would throw my DS on the bed with disgust. 

Weird game but I'm happy with Mario Kart DS right now. It's just the online portion is suspect. I always lose to the veternans...lol

haha Phoenix Wright/Apollo is a perfect example. I have used FAQ's for every game. once in a while I used the save-try-reset method because of the "life bar", and when I thought I really could figure it out without trying every single piece of evidence. and most of the time I had already figured the plot, so it was just a matter of following what exactly the game wants.

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!