By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Another preview of the 2008 RPG of the year!

Expectations are usually higher then the delivery. Most developers, publishers, and manufacturers are quite guilty of raising expectations beyond what a game will deliver. Most of the time its just accepted that the saying is true. The concept looked better in theory then it looked in practice. Sounding good on paper is easy, because most people are not cynical enough to extrapolate the contradictions or the downside. Instead you just have general cynicism.

I do not think people are annoyed that Fable under delivered as much as they are pissed that Peter Molyneux did not live up to his reputation. You expected better of his work the last time. People were buying into the cult of personality rather then the game. The man is ambitious and has a very powerful vision.

Your not pissed, because the game was bad which it was not. You are pissed that the game wasn't sheer perfection that redefined the genre. I say if your holding the man to such a ridiculously high standard then you obviously have lofty expectations for this game.

To paraphrase an old idea. A scientific genius can be wrong one time out of a hundred and be ridiculed. A prophet could be right only once out of a hundred tries and be celebrated. Which do you think Peter Molyneux happens to be?

The title certainly looks to have the potential to be the RPG of the year. Though there is stiff competition. I am not sure Fallout 3 will be original enough to carry favor. Too Human will probably be too hardcore, and the titles out of Japan may be too traditional to demand the attention. There is a pretty strong chance it will be Fable 2 especially if the story is more innovative this time around.

Around the Network

I think that fable 2 will be the rpg of the year fable 1 was not too bad and it can only get better so this is a game i am really looking forward to.

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

Lol the first one was a piece of ####. Will probably be the same but in 720p. Not gona waste my money this time.

Ynwa.

Ahem, Bioware is releasing 2 RPGs this year: Mass Effect and Dragon Age, both on PC. There's a chance DA might be pushed to early 2009 though.

Mass effects is old news, that has already been released in 2007 otherwise it would be a contender and Dragon Age will most likely not be released 2008.

Wait until the game is release then we will see if this game deserves the title.

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

Around the Network

WKS will be better.

starcraft said:
DOATS1 said:
you really need to stop calling it the rpg of the year.

Your right, it will be better if people don't know that its inevitable. That way, it will still be a big deal when the title is awarded.

You know, it'll probably be pretty good, but the first one was nothing special. Molyneux is a mediocre developer, as everything I've ever played by him started off pretty good, then went to crap on the second island. Can't see why this is necessarily any different? Did he team up with Suda or something?

Also, there are already a few fantastic JRPG's out that are probably better than this. What are you western bias, like a 360 fanboy? 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

tombi123 said:
WKS will be better.
I'm really interested in WKS.  It is likely I'll pick it up when I buy a PS3 for Versus.  But honestly, I don't think it will hold a candle to Fable 2.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

ZenfoldorVGI said:

You know, it'll probably be pretty good, but the first one was nothing special. Molyneux is a mediocre developer, as everything I've ever played by him started off pretty good, then went to crap on the second island. Can't see why this is necessarily any different? Did he team up with Suda or something?

Also, there are already a few fantastic JRPG's out that are probably better than this. What are you western bias, like a 360 fanboy?

Actually, when I started this thread I gave some serious thought to the already released Lost Odyssey.  For me, I expect Fable 2 to be the best RPG of any description released this year.  Although I concede that many people do not feel WRPG's and JRPG's can be compared.

In the case of JRPG's only, there are some excellent looking titles hitting this year starting with (but not limited too) WKS, Infinite Undiscovery, Lost Odyssey (already here) and Tales.

Like last year, the majority of the great JRPG's will be on the 360, so people can feel free to pick them up after playing Fable 2  

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

I played fable lost chapters for about 5 minutes and then turned of my computer , I seriously dought Fable 2 will be the "RPG of the year"

Starcraft ,A big coincidence that it's the RPG of they year and just happens to be on the 360....