By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Flawed games that you love anyway

Ever play a game which had significant problems, but you had a blast with it anyway?

Which games fit this description for you, what was wrong with them, and what made you love them regardless?

Around the Network

That’s an interesting question. For me, if a game has too many major problems, it’s simply not good. That said, I think you can enjoy a lackluster game if you’re playing it with people you love.

That game for me is Sea of Thieves. I’d rate it 5 or maybe 6 out of 10 yet I’ve played it for ~500 hours because it’s a vehicle to spend time with my best friend who lives 1,000 miles away.

I wouldn't say I loved it but I had quite a good time with the Made in Abyss game Binary Star Falling Into Darkness despite its issues and its MC score only being 64. It's kinda janky, buggy, was clearly rushed and is overall not that well made but me being a huge fan of the anime and the gameplay loop being compelling and addicting to me made up for that and made me enjoy it a good deal.

2 of the games that come to my immediate mind are Age of Empires 3 and Alpha Protocol.

There’s no balance between the civilizations or the card system, the “home city” mechanics is pointless and very half baked, but the gameplay loop is so insanely good. I’ve spent more time playing AoE3 than any other Age game.

Alpha Protocol had very low quality graphics for the time, combat was wonky, but the choices you make and the writing was top notch.

Kung Fu Live on PS3 had tons of issues (eye toy game). Yet I played the endless stages regularly as an exercise game next to DDR.

Same for Shaun White Snowboarding on the Wii Balance board. Half pipe challenges had me sweating in no time. Good for squats!

Skyrim on PS3 :p I had to turn off autosave and restart the game every 10 - 15 minutes as it slowed down to a crawl 50 hours in.

Around the Network

Two Worlds and Two Worlds 2. GIVE ME TWO WORLDS 3

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest was amazing.

The simple gameplay, the stunning soundtrack... It has that nostalgic feeling even when playing it for the first time.

curl-6 said:

Ever play a game which had significant problems, but you had a blast with it anyway?

Which games fit this description for you, what was wrong with them, and what made you love them regardless?

Curl, the very premise of this thread is antithetical. So, my answer is a great big NO.  If a game is flawed, I can see it right away and I am done with it.

Some examples: GTA4, Elite Dangerous, and Sonic Mania. And I need to give Death Stranding another try at some point.

Harvest Moon: Back to the Nature, Pokemon Violet, Pokemon Stadium, Digimon World, The Last Guardian, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Tokyo Mirage #FE, Asura's Wrath, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2, etc.

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest was amazing.

The simple gameplay, the stunning soundtrack... It has that nostalgic feeling even when playing it for the first time.

Agreed. I got this one for Christmas one year and I loved it.  It has flaws, but I loved it anyways.

Killer soundtrack. The same guy went on to score Treasure of the Rudras....another banger.