By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is it feasible for the Switch 2 to have performance near Xbox Series S level at 400$?

Is it feasible for Switch 2 to have performance near Series S level at 400$?

Yes, pretty close in performance 20 34.48%

Not really, not close but... 28 48.28%

No, Switch 2 would be far... 10 17.24%

Total:58

I wanna know your guys' opinion on this cause I'm not the most knowlegeable when it comes to measuring price to performance especially when comparing a home console to a hybird handheld. Do you guys its possible for a conventional Switch successor to have performance close to Series S level at 400$? Cause it seems like a lot of the rumors are pointing towards that direction which seems pretty ambitous for me to believe considering how Switch is a handheld and Nintendo never really cared much about specs in the past.

Right now it seems like the Xbox Series S goes for around 300$ but Microsoft seems to be taking anywhere between a 100-200$ loss on every Series S sold as of 2022, which is a substansal amount and I definitely can't see Nintendo taking a loss anywhre near as big since the past few years they've always prioritized making a profit on each system sold. I think last time Nintendo took a loss with a system at launch was the Gamecube 23 years ago. The Switch was sold at a profit all its life and was still extremely successful so I heavily doubt Nintendo sees any point in taking a loss with Switch 2 just for the sake of better price to performance ratio when the Switch didnt need that to be successful.

If Switch 2 is sold At 400$, let's say it costs 350$ to produce the Switch 2. Compared to the Series S which costs maybe around 425$ to produce, Series S nearly has 100$ more tech in it which could be a bigger difference in terms of specs between the two consoles especially when you consider the Switch is a hybrid console too so extra money needs to go towards the screen, battery, speakers, and dock. 

With this in mind, is it feasible for Switch 2 at 400$ to be close to Series S in performance?

Around the Network

It's possible if clocks are high in Docked Mode. In handheld mode it's impossible.

Not raw performance, no. But regarding what you'll perceive on screen in the end, I think Switch 2 will be in the ballpark and development won't be a big stretch from a Series S version of a game to a Switch 2 version.

Then again, I don't think Switch 2 will be $399 either.

I'm pretty sure GTA V will come out on Switch 2 at the same 1080p 60 fps docked like XSS version.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

DLSS + docked mode should get close (considering the latter is supposed to be a much bigger gap to portable this time around). Don't expect miracles but it'll be a nice generational jump.

I'm risking to say that I'm sure this time a portable console will have a lot of better looking Games (Mostly First Parties) that an Active Home Console (Series S).

That's what I like about Nintendo First Parties, Instead of going into really deep detail levels with mapping or skins, they better go for ambient and gameplay, and with Next Switch... They will do Wonders.

What I like is that Switch U should be enought to get most Series S ports... Sorry... Switch 2

Last edited by eddy7eddy - on 20 September 2024

I don't personally even need 4k with Nintendo games so base PS4 would be more than enough for me, but I wouldn't object to PS4 pro level power.

rapsuperstar31 said:

I don't personally even need 4k with Nintendo games so base PS4 would be more than enough for me, but I wouldn't object to PS4 pro level power.

In handheld mode you mean ? Because docked wise, it'll blow the PS4/Pro by quite a margin.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Surely the switch 2 would cost more to manufacture? Smaller parts are more expensive plus there's a screen included