By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will be the price of Switch 2?

Norion said:
Mar1217 said:

Lol, no people, Nintendo is not going for a Two SKU strategy between an all-digital Switch and one with the cartridge slot included.

Anywoo, I genuinely think their objective is to achieve the 400$ mark.
People have gotten their predictions warped because of Sony's showcase yesterday, but there's no way Nintendo will dramatically go from a 300$ hybrid console to a 500$ in the space of a generation.

This would be too prohibitive from most casual consummers that are important to the overall Switch userbase.

Why not? I don't think them doing that is guaranteed but I don't see much reason for them not to. For the price part that big of a jump would certainly be pushing it but I could see it being $449. The price in Japan is probably gonna have a big increase though.

The prices in Japan haven't moved in any significant way since the initial MRSP was announced. The inflation of last years and Yen depreciation to USD hasn't changed that. No reason to believe they would suddenly partake in the same strategy as Sony and Microsoft, albeit I do think at a slighter difference in price, but they are not gonna forsake one of their top market to get an equivalent exchange rate in this economy.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

$399.99

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Mar1217 said:
Norion said:

Why not? I don't think them doing that is guaranteed but I don't see much reason for them not to. For the price part that big of a jump would certainly be pushing it but I could see it being $449. The price in Japan is probably gonna have a big increase though.

The prices in Japan haven't moved in any significant way since the initial MRSP was announced. The inflation of last years and Yen depreciation to USD hasn't changed that. No reason to believe they would suddenly partake in the same strategy as Sony and Microsoft, albeit I do think at a slighter difference in price, but they are not gonna forsake one of their top market to get an equivalent exchange rate in this economy.

I asked about the two SKU part but for what you said there's a difference between them not increasing the price of a console that launched a few years before those issues occurred and launching a completely new console in this new environment. Unless they're fine with selling it at either a loss or a tiny profit in Japan the increase there will need to be significant. I don't think they'll go wild with it but with the current exchange rate they'd need to price it at 55k yen to nearly match it in dollars so even 50k Yen would still make it relatively cheap there unless the Yen improves enough by Spring next year.

Consoles aren't getting cheaper to produce . PS4 and Switch are still $300 after 7 or 8 years so I'm sure Switch 2 will be at least $400. Wouldn't surprise me if it's $500

Mar1217 said:
Norion said:

I think the opposite. In USA and Europe Nintendo have strong competition so they need good pricing if they want to keep their position as the market leader 

But in Japan everyone just plays Nintendo or mobile games. They can rise the prices and still rule the market comfortably

Around the Network

I did a poll last year and the most popular answer was 399. flow by 349. Maybe i should reset that poll.

Here: https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/247608/predict-the-price-for-switch-2/14/#8

$399 tracks with where Nintendo's priced their consoles for the last five generations. 

sc94597 said:

$399 tracks with where Nintendo's priced their consoles for the last five generations.

Man the Gamecube was such a good deal. Did not take it to long to sell for 99$ either. Power per dollar for a console has probably never been higher. 

Pinkie_pie said:

Consoles aren't getting cheaper to produce . PS4 and Switch are still $300 after 7 or 8 years so I'm sure Switch 2 will be at least $400. Wouldn't surprise me if it's $500

That's pretty much my thought, at least 400 and up to 500, probably 450-480. If it's outside of the 4-500 range, colour me surprised.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

sc94597 said:

As a note. The 299 Wii U was the Basic Model, only a few were ever released and it ceased production a few months after launch. The Wii U was effectively 350 USD.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.