By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Pro revealed. November 7th 2024. $699

Does PS5 Pro not have the capability to upgrade internal storage? Why would they make it 2TB out of the box? That could've shaved $50-$100 off the retail price, or they could've just used that savings to include the optical drive.

PS5 SNY is becoming much more like PS3 SNY than PS4 SNY.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 10 September 2024

Around the Network

I honestly can't believe that SNY won't be dropping the price of PS5, because now would be the time to announce that, yet based on the price of PS5 Pro, it sure doesn't look like they plan to.

This might potentially be the first time that I skip a gen, and most of my friends will do the same.

Yet I still think no official price drop this holiday will hurt SNY some, and considerably through next year, so we'll see how willing they are to budge or not.

Soundwave said:
curl-6 said:

Granted, I'm not really the target audience for this as I'm quite happy with my base PS5, but $700 USD for a console, without a disc drive, at a time when many people are struggling to make ends meet, feels incredibly out of touch.

It feels like we're back in 2005-6 with all that "people will get a second job to afford a PS3" shit, except now people already have a second job just to make rent, so it's more like "people will get a third job and sell a kidney to afford a PS5 Pro".

From a business POV they'd be stupid to continue to subsidize consoles at cost (virtually no profit to them) or even a loss (even worse) when they have no real direct competition. 

2005 was a long time ago. 

The whole "everything has to be dirt cheap in gaming" logic really is rooted in the 1980s when the market was largely children reliant on parents buying them a console for a birthday or Christmas gift. The industry is so far beyond that now, a complete break from that model was overdue. Even Nintendo I think is more and more going to embrace premium pricing. 

The only reason Sony even adhered to that level of pricing for so long was because Microsoft is such a huge company they felt obligated to price competitively. Now that MS is showing signs of effectively going 3rd party, there's no pressure on Playstation to have to do that. 

Premium is one thing; this pricing places this thing beyond the means of a large portion of the audience.

In the UK this thing is 700 pounds; nearly half of UK adults have under 1000 pounds in savings: https://www.finder.com/uk/savings-accounts/saving-statistics

IcaroRibeiro said:
Zippy6 said:

The only way to make this thing look like good value is to put it next to the $599 2TB Series X. Then you're paying only $100 for the extra power. Which it's probably worth. But look at it from any other angle and unless you've got a lot of expendable income, hell no.

$599 1TB PS5 Pro is the way they should have gone.

Yeah, the more I think about it the more pointless this feels. If the leap in power was at least more significant maybe just maybe we could justify it for playing some upcoming games with 60 FPS, but 700 USD without a disc drive feels so pointless. Are people with physical collections to be that screwed for no reason? 

I'm going to guess the thought process at SNY was with Series X 2TB being $599, PS5 Pro at $699 will make it look and feel Premium whereas $799 with an optical drive would've been way too much of a gap and would've felt way too over priced.

SNY has been giving off Apple vibes this gen.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 10 September 2024

EricHiggin said:

Does PS5 Pro not have the capability to upgrade internal storage? Why would they make it 2TB out of the box? That could've shaved $50-$100 off the retail price, or they could've just used that savings to include the optical drive.

Simple, it's being pushed as an enthusiast high-end device, hence the inclusion of 2tb to cater to that kind of thinking.

No disc drive because honestly the world had largely become digital, and they'd prefer you spent your money digitally too

Around the Network

It's $1200 AUD in Australia: https://press-start.com.au/news/playstation/2024/09/11/ps5-pro-price-australia/

The disc drive is an extra $160 here, so $1360 if you want to play physical games.

Christ on a bike.

I don't even want to know how much this will cost here, in Brazil.

twintail said:
EricHiggin said:

Simple, it's being pushed as an enthusiast high-end device, hence the inclusion of 2tb to cater to that kind of thinking.

No disc drive because honestly the world had largely become digital, and they'd prefer you spent your money digitally too

PS4 Pro was also enthusiast, and it ended up at $399, which is where the base PS4 was still at 3 years later.

PS4 Slim was also launched along with PS4 Pro and both were 1TB. Why wasn't PS4 Pro a 2TB-4TB HDD?

Are digital media gamers more enthusiast than physical media gamers?

curl-6 said:

Premium is one thing; this pricing places this thing beyond the means of a large portion of the audience.

In the UK this thing is 700 pounds; nearly half of UK adults have under 1000 pounds in savings: https://www.finder.com/uk/savings-accounts/saving-statistics

I remember paying that much for PS2 at release, except it was in Guilders at the time. Actually with extra controller and game I payed 1,200 guilders at PS2 launch, which was 540 Euros, which would be 914 euros today. (CAD 1,371)

Inflation has been bad due to Covid, prices aren't going back, only further up.

Steamdeck 1 TB is CAD 819 (before tax)
PS5 Pro 2 TB will be CAD 960 (before tax)

At least people can't say a peripheral (PSVR2) is more expensive than the console anymore...

Anyway it is a premium console, which Sony doesn't expect to sell a lot like the PS4 Pro.
PS5 digital is still affordable CAD 580, PS5 standard is CAD 650, PSVR2 CAD 750, disc drive add-on is CAD 100.

We live in a world now where a burger from a shack along the road is CAD 11,50 (good burgers though)

SvennoJ said:
curl-6 said:

I remember paying that much for PS2 at release, except it was in Guilders at the time. Actually with extra controller and game I payed 1,200 guilders at PS2 launch, which was 540 Euros, which would be 914 euros today. (CAD 1,371)

Inflation has been bad due to Covid, prices aren't going back, only further up.

Steamdeck 1 TB is CAD 819 (before tax)
PS5 Pro 2 TB will be CAD 960 (before tax)

At least people can't say a peripheral (PSVR2) is more expensive than the console anymore...

Anyway it is a premium console, which Sony doesn't expect to sell a lot like the PS4 Pro.
PS5 digital is still affordable CAD 580, PS5 standard is CAD 650, PSVR2 CAD 750, disc drive add-on is CAD 100.

We live in a world now where a burger from a shack along the road is CAD 11,50 (good burgers though)

$960 + $100 for the optical drive + tax. 

$1000 for a console of any kind is madness (in Canada).