By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Does Sony have enough Original IP?

Does Sony have enough original IP?

Yes. 17 73.91%

No. 3 13.04%

No opinion 3 13.04%

Total:23

I was perusing some random site on the Internet and came across this. 

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/462316/sony-cfo-we-dont-have-enough-original-ip/

Sony CFO Hiroki Totoki speaking with Financial Times stated Sony doesn't have enough original IP. This includes for games, films, and anime.

"Whether it's for games, films or anime, we don't have that much IP that we fostered from the beginning," Totoki. "We're lacking the early phase (of IP) and that's an issue for us."

I agree and disagree. They have much IP, a lot of which they won't use. Days Gone. Jak and Daxter. Bloodborne. Twisted Metal. Wild Arms. Legend of Dragoon. Socom. Syphon filter... I can go on buuuut he surely had a point that it looks barren in 2024 cause for one they're not using the IP they have and their games are taking ages to build and now with these live service disasters that never had a chance of becoming golden goose IP are tainting the PS image. I feel like they are a stain on Sonys reputation and should be put in the ground before they are released to cause more damgae. They really need an Uncharted/The Last of Us/Horizon level additions once again. Should have already happened by this late in the gen at least for one game. Everything that was new was too early in the gen to pick up that kind of steam, like Returnal. 

Thoughts?

Around the Network

yes. They just refuse to use anything that’s not GoW or SpiderMan.

Last edited by firebush03 - on 06 September 2024

I wonder if Sony's CFO thought Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry, GTA, Silent Hill, and Kingdom Hearts were Sony IPs and was shocked when he realized they weren't and came out with that statement

But yes, Sony has a huge amount of original IP just sitting there.

firebush03 said:

yes. They just refuse to use anything that’s not GoW or SpiderMan.

Exactly my thoughts. Like they went chasing Live service but they didn't think to bring Socom or Twisted metal out of the back room? Ffs. Instead they make that generic Destruction Allstars while they already had a game with a rabbit and fanatical fan base. Foolishness. 

I'm very pleased with Sony. Horizon, ratchet, ghost, God, spider, demon, blood and astro is a good selection.

Add in uncharted, last and sackboy.

Edit

Isn't team Ico owned by Sony.  Some great stuff there.  Though what are they working on now?  

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 06 September 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

They have an ungodly amount of IP in the video game space that they don't use. Some only got two games or were based around fads or hardware so it makes sense to leave them in the past or at least only port them without a new installment or remake.
Here are some Sony IPs that don't need to be dormant or dead, even if it means changing studios or directors/producers.
Twisted Metal, Ape Escape
Jak & Dakter, Sly Cooper, Killzone
Resistance, Infamous
Not to mention even something like Everybody's Golf that is approaching or in dormant status. LittleBigPlanet could use a 4th numbered game or a Sackboy 2.
In the movie and tv space, I kind of get it. They don't have the flagship IPs that Warner Bros. and Disney have.
Also, a great way to capitalize on their IP is PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale 2, done better this time. Remove the forced Super Moves needed for a KO and bring back some characters in addition to adding the large amount created since the game (Joel & Ellie, Aloy, etc.)

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:

They have an ungodly amount of IP in the video game space that they don't use. Some only got two games or were based around fads or hardware so it makes sense to leave them in the past or at least only port them without a new installment or remake.
Here are some Sony IPs that don't need to be dormant or dead, even if it means changing studios or directors/producers.
Twisted Metal, Ape Escape
Jak & Dakter, Sly Cooper, Killzone
Resistance, Infamous
Not to mention even something like Everybody's Golf that is approaching or in dormant status. LittleBigPlanet could use a 4th numbered game or a Sackboy 2.
In the movie and tv space, I kind of get it. They don't have the flagship IPs that Warner Bros. and Disney have.
Also, a great way to capitalize on their IP is PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale 2, done better this time. Remove the forced Super Moves needed for a KO and bring back some characters in addition to adding the large amount created since the game (Joel & Ellie, Aloy, etc.)

In their defence I think Sack boy and LBP wasn't working in sales and they did Everybody's golf VR (which is an amazing title, best one in the series) but I agree. They should bring out Sly, Jak ape escape etc as smaller Astrobot like titles in between the big Naughty Dog and Santamonica stuff. And if they continue to chase Live service they have tested IP to work with like Socom and Twisted Metal. Killzone would be absolutely perfect as a Destiny like looter shooter and the lore and setting is beyond perfect to easily integrate into that genre. Something they should have put bungie with guidance from Guerrila. 

Chrkeller said:

I'm very pleased with Sony. Horizon, ratchet, ghost, God, spider, demon, blood and astro is a good selection.

Edit

Isn't team Ico owned by Sony.  Some great stuff there.  Though what are they working on now?  

Team Ico was a division in Japan Studio lol so they’re working either on nothing or at a completely different studio now. Hopefully there are some at Team Asobi though. 

Sony has some of the richest game libraries in the history of the medium. But the vast majority of their IP's (beloved IP's included) are too small and will struggle to sell a million per game, so you can't really blame them for not reviving them. They also just don't have the talent and numbers to develop them, and it's hard to find competent 3rd party developers that are willing to do the job at reasonable prices that justify the investment.

Furthermore, some of their best IP's are concluded story-wise; reviving them would only cheapen them and give them a bad conclusion.

With that said, it would be nice if Sony start selling and porting more of their old games just as they were, and maybe pay 3rd party developers to faithfully remaster some of them.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 06 September 2024

Chrkeller said:

Edit

Team ICO still exists as an independent developer known as GenDesign. They've been developing an unnamed game for several years with Epic Games's funding. I'm really looking forward to it.