By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that look terrible/generic shovelware but are actually amazing to play.

I...

Only play AAA games 2 15.38%

I play AA games as well as above 0 0%

I played indies as well as above. 10 76.92%

I play mobile games as well as above 1 7.69%

Total:13
curl-6 said:

Bayonetta 3 was ugly by Switch standards, but it was a blast to play.

Sniper Elite 3 looks low budget and uninspired, but has amazingly satisfying tactical action.

Medal of Honor Heroes 2 seems like just another generic WW2 game on the surface, but the smooth and creative controls really elevate it.

Omg, yes. Sniper Elite is so much fun, such a pity they look so AA if you haven't played them, they really are more like AAA games and deserve more attention. 

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

Bayonetta 3 was ugly by Switch standards, but it was a blast to play.

Sniper Elite 3 looks low budget and uninspired, but has amazingly satisfying tactical action.

Medal of Honor Heroes 2 seems like just another generic WW2 game on the surface, but the smooth and creative controls really elevate it.

Bayo 3 was one of my biggest disappointments this generation.  It looked like hot garbage, run poorly and wasn't as good as Bayo 2.  Still a really good game and I enjoyed it.  But lord I hope it gets a S2 port with way better graphics.  Overall, it felt like a step back.  

Since you mentioned Bayo 3, I think Astral Chain fits the bill here.  Very generic looking, at least IMO, but an absolutely amazing experience.  

Yeah, I fell off of Astral chain half way through for some reason but it was a blast up until then. Platinum are always underrated though it seems, they can rarely make their games look truly AAA.  

Astral Chain is far from generic looking. Masakazu Katsura of Zetman fame did it. I don't know of anything that looks like Astral Chain and the game is fantastic. One of the best looking Switch games.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Astral Chain is far from generic looking. Masakazu Katsura of Zetman fame did it. I don't know of anything that looks like Astral Chain and the game is fantastic. One of the best looking Switch games.

It looks so aggressively and generically sci fi, I remember thinking no way is this game as good as they say but I was surprised. 

Leynos said:

Technically the game is stunning.  The legions have great style.  The main/playable characters are, imo, super generic in look and personality.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

You're in the minority on that one lol

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

You're in the minority on that one lol

Fair enough.  I never worry about being in the minority.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Cruelty Squad, Vampire Survivors and Minecraft.

Astral Chain

It horrendous, but play pretty nicely

BonfiresDown said:

Cruelty Squad, Vampire Survivors and Minecraft.

Wow, cruelty squad looks atrocious lmao, they really have to pull a genie out of a bottle to get people past those visuals and Vampires survivors has no right to be as fun as it is when there is no interaction aside for movement, it's basically an interactive wallpaper. Really hard to start a game in that though, the first 10 minutes are pretty boring.