By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much money is Sony losing over these GaaS failures?

Concord...

Will release Free to play 10 37.04%

Stay dead 17 62.96%

Total:27
Leynos said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Ah yes. Marathon, if that pulls a helldivers and it likely could cause even if the games is bare bones like Destiny Bungies core gameplay can hold up anything. All they need to do is have Destiny level FPS feeling shooting and the rest could be fixed with time should it be not up to par. I'll add both Fanctions and Marathon to OP. 

From the rumor mill. Marathon development and Fairgames$ is not going well. Doesn't help Sony fired the lead on Marathon a 25-year Bungie vet for being a sex pest.

Ouch, can't blame them for firing him but damn that's hard to hear, I suppose we have to accept that it may not be the same Bungie that gave us Destiny in 2014. As for Fairgames, it doesn't need to struggle, they already imprinted this attempt at "Hey fellow kids" onto it and that does not go well these days, they could be onto a really good game and I reckon it'll still fail just based on how it looks and it's style choice. Same as Forrspoken, Concord, New Dawn, Young blood etc. 

Around the Network

Let's hope they've lost enough to stop this stupidity with GaaS, they're not the only ones with problems making this space profitable. GaaS is the crown of the regalia that is shitty business practices in the industry these past few years, and the market is signaling pretty clearly that these games aren't wanted, with the exception of a few hits. I understand that developers and publishers are looking for long-term sustainability; but they have to find an approach that the gamers will actually embrace. Every failure like this benefits us in the long run, if it means that the publishers reconsider their stance on GaaS.

Hopefully they keep flopping and bleeding money so Sony and the rest of the AAA industry can move on from this garbage trend.
This whole notion of making games designed to go on and on endlessly, monopolize your time and siphon your money away on an ongoing basis is cancer.

Helldivers 2 will make more money than whatever amount their live service games have lost. Not to mention MLB The Show prints money as a yearly release. Some of you need to get over the live service boogeyman.

You are not losing single player games because Sony decided to buy Haven and Bungie. The Last of Us Online getting cancelled doesn't impact the new IP coming out of Santa Monica Studios or Sony Bend. The type of single player games that people want from Sony is certainly not coming from Pixel Opus, London Studio or Firewalk.

LegitHyperbole said:

I'm gonna guess Jim Ryan set up this mess as soon as he got in, they pushed out Shuhei too, from the big stuff, which i knew would be a bad sign. Damn, they should really just let Shu have the keys to the castle, he'd have Nintebdo level quality titles on the go for next gen but with Astrobot and Horizon Lego I assume Herman knows what he's doing.

And hey, yeah. Look at the sales of those games though, Death Stranding isn't getting a sequel because of Metacritic, it's cause ot'a a quality product that sold and remember Sony's first party stuff (something the have forgotton) is to get people on the hardware, even if it means big budgets and not much profit in doing so, breaking even should be fine if it sells hardware and they make the money back off of their take on games sold on PSN. But the games you mentioned did make profit. Even Days gone, that's an odd one that they put in the ground cuase it done well. I suppose they just don't like the gruff biker dude associated with their brand and reckon it hurts more than helps. That's why Decon is not in Astro's playroom.  

Astro Bot and Lego Horizon were green lit under Jim Ryan's tenure. 

Around the Network
PotentHerbs said:
LegitHyperbole said:

I'm gonna guess Jim Ryan set up this mess as soon as he got in, they pushed out Shuhei too, from the big stuff, which i knew would be a bad sign. Damn, they should really just let Shu have the keys to the castle, he'd have Nintebdo level quality titles on the go for next gen but with Astrobot and Horizon Lego I assume Herman knows what he's doing.

And hey, yeah. Look at the sales of those games though, Death Stranding isn't getting a sequel because of Metacritic, it's cause ot'a a quality product that sold and remember Sony's first party stuff (something the have forgotton) is to get people on the hardware, even if it means big budgets and not much profit in doing so, breaking even should be fine if it sells hardware and they make the money back off of their take on games sold on PSN. But the games you mentioned did make profit. Even Days gone, that's an odd one that they put in the ground cuase it done well. I suppose they just don't like the gruff biker dude associated with their brand and reckon it hurts more than helps. That's why Decon is not in Astro's playroom.  

Astro Bot and Lego Horizon were green lit under Jim Ryan's tenure. 

True we haven't seen anything being greenlit by Hermen and with dev time taking around 5 to 8 years we won't see anything for a long while. The next big upcoming game might be Wolverine (for all we know) and that was Greenlig by Jim Ryan as well as to buy Insomniac.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

PotentHerbs said:

Helldivers 2 will make more money than whatever amount their live service games have lost. Not to mention MLB The Show prints money as a yearly release. Some of you need to get over the live service boogeyman.

You are not losing single player games because Sony decided to buy Haven and Bungie. The Last of Us Online getting cancelled doesn't impact the new IP coming out of Santa Monica Studios or Sony Bend. The type of single player games that people want from Sony is certainly not coming from Pixel Opus, London Studio or Firewalk.

Lots of games made a killing off of loot-box mechanics as well, that doesn't make it a strategy to be lauded. It only takes a few hits to spark a trend, which invariably leads to funds getting funneled into projects of the same ilk, taking it away from other possible venues. Anthem is a prime example - Bioware were still capable of making something great back then, but the EA ghost hovered above them and wanted that sweet GaaS nectar. You mentioning that some profit is made off of what is generally considered a poor trend, doesn't make it a good trend. Heck, even the industry at large disagrees with you, and also subscribe to the "boogeyman" theories.

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/70-of-developers-worry-about-the-live-service-models-sustainability-survey-shows/

https://twistedvoxel.com/first-party-studios-upset-playstation-gaas-direction/

Gamers and developers, overall, are not fond of GaaS, it's mostly on the publisher side that the enthusiasm lies. Any publisher and developer has a finite amount of money, it's absurd to claim that GaaS focus won't steer funding away from other projects, such as single-player (and multiplayer) games that people actually want. I also play one franchise that is probably a net negative to the industry (FIFA). I don't play online, and certainly don't purchase card packs for UT, but I would never in a million years suggest that what EA are doing with FIFA is a good thing.

I surely hope that we won't see a future where you not only pay for the connection and the privilege of playing online, but also have to pay subscriptions or regular fees for individual titles on top. It's a very bad development for us as consumers - it will create a market of intermittency and instability, with uneven sales curves and more closures as a result.

Last edited by Mummelmann - on 04 September 2024

What world are people living in where "gamers don't want GaaS"?

I keep seeing this repeated over and over and then I go to Steam see games killing it and making tons of money long, long after they're already paid for. Goodness, Sea of Thieves sure crashed hard on Playstation, huh? And that bomb, Helldivers 2. And Palword, and Ark, and The First Descendant doing well despite "the crowded marketplace". Deep Rock Galactic has sold over 8 million copies plus being on Game Pass.

Many, MANY gamers CLEARLY play GaaS titles.

Sony should have cut their losses with this game YEARS ago, even if it had been a single player title. The lesson here isn't to stop investing in GaaS, it's to stop investing in bad games.

pokoko said:

What world are people living in where "gamers don't want GaaS"?

I keep seeing this repeated over and over and then I go to Steam see games killing it and making tons of money long, long after they're already paid for. Goodness, Sea of Thieves sure crashed hard on Playstation, huh? And that bomb, Helldivers 2. And Palword, and Ark, and The First Descendant doing well despite "the crowded marketplace". Deep Rock Galactic has sold over 8 million copies plus being on Game Pass.

Many, MANY gamers CLEARLY play GaaS titles.

Sony should have cut their losses with this game YEARS ago, even if it had been a single player title. The lesson here isn't to stop investing in GaaS, it's to stop investing in bad games.

Bolded: Absolutely, but as mentioned above; this isn't an argument for why GaaS in general is a positive trend. FIFA, Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed are also massive sellers, can you tell me what positive influence they have on current gaming? Some gamers want GaaS, and even some developers. But most don't. Some GaaS titles selling and making money is not a good argument, it's not an argument at all. It's overall not a positive for the industry, or for gamers. I understand that a lot of people enjoy some of these titles, that still doesn't change the argument. Again, I feel like throwing in the lootbox argument; plenty of people liked that too, especially in FUT, and it made EA billions on top, but it was widely regarded as a shit idea for the industry as a whole.

As for Concord; I agree, Sony should have axed it long ago. Even without the GaaS aspect, it's riding a dying trend where only a select few behemoths reign.

I just find typically the reason some gaas games do well is because the cringe streamer culture. Some blue-haired screamer streamer over every little thing sitting in their cheaply made bad-for-back but cost-a-fortune race car chairs on twitch. A bunch of fools follow them and do what they do.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!